JBL Studio 698! I just had to do it fellas!!!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I'm stocked for months on that ;)
This might be of use to you...just don't look at the narrator too much.
Dont most of us get a gray beard before the gray hair ?
Just looking at this guy messes with my perception of reality.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I couldn't trust a guy that looks like that

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

IIRC my beard and hair started greying simultaneously (fairly early on too), but don't really remember....but both turned white not that many years later (in my 30s). :)

I started that video, being a cyclist and mechanic, but that voice was pretty annoying, couldn't handle beyond that first bit :) Sometimes you use lube, sometimes loctite on threaded items....but hopefully Dan can keep the loctite out of the equation :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
IIRC my beard and hair started greying simultaneously (fairly early on too), but don't really remember....but both turned white not that many years later (in my 30s). :)

I started that video, being a cyclist and mechanic, but that voice was pretty annoying, couldn't handle beyond that first bit :) Sometimes you use lube, sometimes loctite on threaded items....but hopefully Dan can keep the loctite out of the equation :)
I still have most of my hair at 67 thankfully, gray...but still there....grew it shoulder length and fluff it up (Kajagoogoo style) over the last 4 years and sometimes grow some gray stubble for an accent.
I usually always get some comments when Im out and about !!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still have most of my hair at 67 thankfully, gray...but still there....grew it shoulder length and fluff it up (Kajagoogoo style) over the last 4 years and sometimes grow some gray stubble for an accent.
Yeah you're doing better with the hair then (we're same age). I haven't had shoulder length hair since I was 18 (and was a bit longer than shoulder length). Now I just keep the head fairly bald (maybe let it grow to 1/4" on the sides, the top is just fairly barren).....these days it's mostly that the hair grows where I don't need it or want it :). Had to look up Kajagoogoo....sort of a Rod Stewart thing.... :)

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yeah you're doing better with the hair then (we're same age). I haven't had shoulder length hair since I was 18 (and was a bit longer than shoulder length). Now I just keep the head fairly bald (maybe let it grow to 1/4" on the sides, the top is just fairly barren).....these days it's mostly that the hair grows where I don't need it or want it :). Had to look up Kajagoogoo....sort of a Rod Stewart thing.... :)
Yeah...it's more Rod actually....just gray !!
I always say if the hair on my head grew as fast as the ones in my nose, I would look more like Crystal Gayle !

Crystal_Gale_long_hair_32.jpg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Good thing is that having no hair is cool nowadays...when we were young, there was one bald guy.
Yul Brynner..that was it. (then later, Kojak)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good thing is that having no hair is cool nowadays...when we were young, there was one bald guy.
Yul Brynner..that was it. (then later, Kojak)
LOL yeah my dad and grandpas all were pretty thin on top....they all did the combover thing until that just got silly looking.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah at least you still got most of your hair at 67 I'm 49 and already losing hair on the top. Top of my head looks like one of those craters on the moon. All this hair then a big hole on the top where an asteroid hit

S

sl85

Audiophyte
Great thread!
Can anyone share some info about the dispersion pattern of JBL Studio 698 and how suitable they are for off-axis listening?
I'm looking for a pair of floor-standing 3-way speakers in this price range for pure stereo listening. My concern with this model is the horn-type of a tweeter which has a narrower "sweet spot" for listening, compared to traditional dome tweeters. Since I won’t be sitting directly in front of the speakers, I'm looking for a model with wide enough dispersion.

Thanks.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Great thread!
Can anyone share some info about the dispersion pattern of JBL Studio 698 and how suitable they are for off-axis listening?
I'm looking for a pair of floor-standing 3-way speakers in this price range for pure stereo listening. My concern with this model is the horn-type of a tweeter which has a narrower "sweet spot" for listening, compared to traditional dome tweeters. Since I won’t be sitting directly in front of the speakers, I'm looking for a model with wide enough dispersion.

Thanks.
It should compare very closely to any measurements of the HDI Series... They use the same Horn geometry IIRC.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I sure would like to see this speaker reviewed and tested. I'd like to see the measurements.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great thread!

Thanks.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Wow, you beat me to it. I was just going to post the link. Thanks. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis