JBL HP-520 speaker thread. Fun.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If I move them to my room it will be used for Music and Movies. I won't play them loud cause I have next door neighbor and don't wanna upset them, but if they go out! :p I'll take your advice and cross them at 100 and let the sub and Bass shaker take over.
I'd set them up wherever you use them most. I think they'd be awesome for music. These are your biggest speakers now, right? They might be from the 90s, but they were high end 90s and well built by the company that literally wrote the book on psychoacoustics. I'll bet they can hang with a lot of the nicer speakers we recommend around here today. They do have all the hallmarks of being something special. I'd love to check them out and give a listen.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They don't look anything alike but the design makes me think of these KEF 104/2s with the dual woofers inside the cab.

804ee27eed57a6f0b646ecc9f96ef03b_copy_350x500.jpg
104-2_pairlangle_copy_433x500.jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
They don't look anything alike but the design makes me think of these KEF 104/2s with the dual woofers inside the cab.

View attachment 47447 View attachment 47448
The old jbl Aquarius line way back experimented with this type of enclosure late 60’s or early 70’s with band pass enclosures and Altec I believe . Iam very curious as to how these two woofers work together in that cab and the purpose of the white stuff between them .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Great to hear they're working. Might need to clean the switch on the bottom. Maybe work it back and forth a bit to get any dust out of the contacts if you can't get at it with contact cleaner. Score one for the good guys. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Zilla! Always showing up when someone gets something cool! Dude, I'm loving that sub. It totally lives up to what you told me about it. No regrets whatsoever. It transformed my system. My gnarly-toed wife even notices the difference and likes it.
I love it when people get a good deal like this! This is going to be a fun thread! Can't wait to get some more feedback on these speakers

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'm wondering how much (if any) he had to toe them in?
I toe mine in a little mine are exactly 8 feet apart on my front mains about 20 degrees in . My room is 18 feet wide . My second pair face each other on the sides behind the main listening seats . These are big he’ll need to separate them at least 7 to 8 feet . There very detailed and have a huge soundstage . Iam overjoyed these worked out for him nice to see someone get a win .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hi guys! Thanks for all the compliments! Makes me feel even greater that I got them for such a deal at $120 with tax included and 2 cds. :cool: Took a 23 min bath to try to get the nail to remove no luck last night. I'll try again later to see if it softens and removes by it self. No insurance at the moment. I put ointment and bandage it up and a sock. The speakers are toed(no pun) in at 3 and a half feet at the moment. If I put them in my room farthest will be 6 feet from each other.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Hi guys! Thanks for all the compliments! Makes me feel even greater that I got them for such a deal at $120 with tax included and 2 cds. :cool: Took a 23 min bath to try to get the nail to remove no luck last night. I'll try again later to see if it softens and removes by it self. No insurance at the moment. I put ointment and bandage it up and a sock. The speakers are toed(no pun) in at 3 and a half feet at the moment. If I put them in my room farthest will be 6 feet from each other.
There’s nothing worse that a mashed toe or finger I feel your pain . Last week I was drilling a piece of steel and the driver slipped and went threw my hand lots of hot water soaks for that . And 6 feet should be sufficient .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
There’s nothing worse that a mashed toe or finger I feel your pain . Last week I was drilling a piece of steel and the driver slipped and went threw my hand lots of hot water soaks for that . And 6 feet should be sufficient .
Yikes I hope it wasn't too bad. Yep sucks at least I can move around with a slight limp. I'm thinking maybe this weekend I will move them. I need to clean apt and also clean some of my rugs. I also need to buy some long wires as the Pioneer receiver is on the other side of the room. I think 15-20 feet, so I'll get 50 feet of 14 gauge. I'll measure before hand. I'll have to get some throw rugs on the wires so I won't trip on my toes. :eek:Motivating myself is the best part of this, so I'm so Thankful!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yikes I hope it wasn't too bad. Yep sucks at least I can move around with a slight limp. I'm thinking maybe this weekend I will move them. I need to clean apt and also clean some of my rugs. I also need to buy some long wires as the Pioneer receiver is on the other side of the room. I think 15-20 feet, so I'll get 50 feet of 14 gauge. I'll measure before hand. I'll have to get some throw rugs on the wires so I won't trip on my toes. :eek:Motivating myself is the best part of this, so I'm so Thankful!
Well it happened fast philips bit into the chuck but it’s healing up nicely now but it did hurt at first . Iam old and hate pain lol . Man don’t stub that toe on anything that really makes me cringe thinking about that . You’ll need long listening sessions to heal that up .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well it happened fast philips bit into the chuck but it’s healing up nicely now but it did hurt at first . Iam old and hate pain lol . Man don’t stub that toe on anything that really makes me cringe thinking about that . You’ll need long listening sessions to heal that up .
I'm glad the pain has subsided. Yep I'm in my early 50s and everything is more painful as you get older. I did hit yesterday when I was moving stuff in the kitchen and did hurt a bit. I take a pain reliever before I go to sleep, so I won't wake up with pain, so far so good. I'm gonna fire up some music in the afternoon. Yesterday I played alot of gens of music. Jazz, Latin, Vocals, Percussions, etc. sounds great. I'm gonna get my portable CD player and hook it up on the cleanup day this weekend and play some classical music on the 520s. The Yamaha receiver plays great with them.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I'm glad the pain has subsided. Yep I'm in my early 50s and everything is more painful as you get older. I did hit yesterday when I was moving stuff in the kitchen and did hurt a bit. I take a pain reliever before I go to sleep, so I won't wake up with pain, so far so good. I'm gonna fire up some music in the afternoon. Yesterday I played alot of gens of music. Jazz, Latin, Vocals, Percussions, etc. sounds great. I'm gonna get my portable CD player and hook it up on the cleanup day this weekend and play some classical music on the 520s. The Yamaha receiver plays great with them.
they do music very well I listen to everything too good live recordings sound really good on these as the drivers are built and based on there pro audio drivers only more refined. Sacd or dvd audio recordings sounds spectacular on these .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
they do music very well I listen to everything too good live recordings sound really good on these as the drivers are built and based on there pro audio drivers only more refined. Sacd or dvd audio recordings sounds spectacular on these .
Oh dang yes I am recollecting my SACD and DTS/DVD-Audio little by little. Where ya from Mark? I'm in South Florida.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Oh dang yes I am recollecting my SACD and DTS little by little. Where ya from Mark? I'm in South Florida.
iam in eastern Ohio been retired 3 years now and likening the slower pace of life so far .I looked at your signature dam would be bummed bad to loose all that gear . We had a bad water break 3 years ago had to rebuild half the house subfloor up almost got to my front set of 520’s but the risers kept them dry but had to tear the whole room down and then put it all back together but that ain’t close to a hurricane. I just turned 64 in Jan and so far so good lol .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
iam in eastern Ohio been retired 3 years now and likening the slower pace of life so far .I looked at your signature dam would be bummed bad to loose all that gear . We had a bad water break 3 years ago had to rebuild half the house subfloor up almost got to my front set of 520’s but the risers kept them dry but had to tear the whole room down and then put it all back together but that ain’t close to a hurricane. I just turned 64 in Jan and so far so good lol .
Awww man sorry about that water break I feel your pain. Wow Ohio been there through my work travels in the early 2000s. My partner went to the sports hall of fame on her day off. I stayed and slept haha. I was gonna ask about the risers did they come with the original set? 60s eh? you are still young. Man I'm glancing at the speakers and I can't believe I have them. I have the Darth vader 530s in the living room since December. Gift to myself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis