JBL HP-520 speaker thread. Fun.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Awww man sorry about that water break I feel your pain. Wow Ohio been there through my work travels in the early 2000s. My partner went to the sports hall of fame on her day off. I stayed and slept haha. I was gonna ask about the risers did they come with the original set? 60s eh? you are still young. Man I'm glancing at the speakers and I can't believe I have them. I have the Darth vader 530s in the living room since December. Gift to myself.
The risers I built out of oak 3 inch thick as it raised them up to perfect height to match my center channel there hollow and filled with sand probably about 35 libs of sand in them . On rubber feet now as I had to take the spikes off for the new flooring- Wife said nope to the spikes and I don’t blame her . Jbl 530’s ?? If so they should voice match these Farley well I’ve been watching this line with interest .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't you just love waking up and remembering those awesome speakers you found yesterday?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The risers I built out of oak 3 inch thick as it raised them up to perfect height to match my center channel there hollow and filled with sand probably about 35 libs of sand in them . On rubber feet now as I had to take the spikes off for the new flooring- Wife said nope to the spikes and I don’t blame her . Jbl 530’s ?? If so they should voice match these Farley well I’ve been watching this line with interest .
Well they match well from your pics. You're a pro! Here is my unboxing and setup of the 530/520c. They work great in my small living room. Here are pics: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/afterlife2s-setup-finally-brace-yourself-and-always-thankful-to-my-audioholics-friends.84763/page-24#post-1445661

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Don't you just love waking up and remembering those awesome speakers you found yesterday?
Ah man it sure does. I also need to stay away from my Thrift store. My bills are pilling up. Time for me to fire them up. Turn off YT for a while. :) How goes it with your monster Bass subs? Wife yell at you yet?
Listening
_20210512_141207.JPG

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know man. She's always whacking her toes on crap. She usually does it when it's dark. Her losing a toenail isn't even a big deal anymore... :oops:
If you or she is not aware, crazy glue is the ticket for reinforcing/holding a split nail back together!

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well they match well from your pics. You're a pro! Here is my unboxing and setup of the 530/520c. They work great in my small living room. Here are pics: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/afterlife2s-setup-finally-brace-yourself-and-always-thankful-to-my-audioholics-friends.84763/page-24#post-1445661
awsome the 520’s will make a great addition to those and should match up with the center very nicely. That will make a very good sounding system no question about it I’ll be very interested in how the 520’s blend. With this setup and Iam all about gifts to oneself lol .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
awsome the 520’s will make a great addition to those and should match up with the center very nicely. That will make a very good sounding system no question about it I’ll be very interested in how the 520’s blend. With this setup and Iam all about gifts to oneself lol .
520s will be in my bedroom. 530s are in my living room. I have a couple of high quality centers that should match the HP520s if not I'll check out those JBL's you recommend earlier. Bucks are tight so they better timber match. :)
Listening
_20210512_143656.JPG

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
520s will be in my bedroom. 530s are in my living room. I have a couple of high quality centers that should match the HP520s if not I'll check out those JBL's you recommend earlier. Bucks are tight so they better timber match. :)
Listening
View attachment 47493
The jbl LC 2 is a 4 way and voice matches the 520’s perfectly the LC 1 is a 3 way I think . But I’d think any high quality center would sound good also . Before long you’ll have these big boys in your main theater room after you get used to there sound lol Enjoy the awesome find !!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The jbl LC 2 is a 4 way and voice matches the 520’s perfectly the LC 1 is a 3 way I think . But I’d think any high quality center would sound good also . Before long you’ll have these big boys in your main theater room after you get used to there sound lol Enjoy the awesome find !!
Man if I could have my own house it would be awesome. I pray one day I can own my own property, but for now renting is the only option/way. Working part-time now so I really can't save. :( Good thing the 520s came my way to make it brighter. I have this AT center that I need to hookup back in my room as I was testing a Jamo center I got from the thrift store and didn't get a chance to put back the AT. If you look at my thread you will see it. This is the AT that on got on ebay a few years ago for a bargain and one of the best centers I've owned. Check out the dails:
IMG_12052021_151821_(2500_x_1133_pixel).jpg

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Man if I could have my own house it would be awesome. I pray one day I can own my own property, but for now renting is the only option/way. Working part-time now so I really can't save. :( Good thing the 520s came my way to make it brighter. I have this AT center that I need to hookup back in my room as I was testing a Jamo center I got from the thrift store and didn't get a chance to put back the AT. If you look at my thread you will see it. This is the AT that on got on ebay a few years ago for a bargain and one of the best centers I've owned. Check out the dails:
View attachment 47495
Man you guys have the best thrift stores lol we don’t have nothing like that stuff up here in ours mabey cd’s few old lp’s from time to time .
I get it on the room and place to do it we lived in a single wide for about 10 years till the size of the stereo forced us to get a bigger house .I was cool with a bigger house .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah man it sure does. I also need to stay away from my Thrift store. My bills are pilling up. Time for me to fire them up. Turn off YT for a while. :) How goes it with your monster Bass subs? Wife yell at you yet?
Listening
View attachment 47492
She won't admit it, but I think she really likes the new sub. She refuses to sit in the sweet spot(s). She could sit right beside me and be in the bubble of goodness but instead sits in one of the mother in law seats so both dogs can lay on either side of her. :oops: You guys have no idea how many times I've tried to explain to her the benefits of sitting in the right seat. She just doesn't care. She wants room on either side for the dogs.

Drives me nuts, but she still appreciates better speakers so I don't give her too much crap. Plus the new sub greatly improved the bass at her seat. She didn't say anything, but I've sat there before and the bass is objectively much better now. Plus all of a sudden she's listening to music with more bass now too... Oh yes, she won't admit it but I know she loves it. I was gone most of this morning and when I got home she had it cranked! She did some cleaning today and turned it up to -15 so she could hear her music while running the vacuum, finished and just left it there. I almost had to shout to be heard!

Little moments like that make me feel good. I love great sound and have it pretty good with WAF. For the record, I acknowledge that to her all the time and let her know I appreciate it. We see so many guys come to the forums wanting a great system with all of these ridiculous constraints and WAF compromises. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man you guys have the best thrift stores lol we don’t have nothing like that stuff up here in ours mabey cd’s few old lp’s from time to time .
I get it on the room and place to do it we lived in a single wide for about 10 years till the size of the stereo forced us to get a bigger house .I was cool with a bigger house .
Well...

7159_copy_757x568.jpeg
7162_copy_756x567.jpeg

I'd say I have a better Craigslist out here than most, but my local thrift stores suck much balls, lol. I had a few minutes to kill and was in the same plaza so I stopped in there this morning. Nothing but garbage, lol. Tho they did have this one too...

7156_copy_553x738.jpeg
7157_copy_546x728.jpeg
7158_copy_547x729.jpeg

Yeah, my Goodwill up the street sucks.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well...

View attachment 47496View attachment 47497

I'd say I have a better Craigslist out here than most, but my local thrift stores suck much balls, lol. I had a few minutes to kill and was in the same plaza so I stopped in there this morning. Nothing but garbage, lol. Tho they did have this one too...

View attachment 47499View attachment 47498View attachment 47500

Lol kind of looks like the returned rack at our local Best Buy . Craigs list west of me in Cincinnati has some decent stuff as does Pittsburgh although most want top dollar for anything even Bose junk there’s some good finds on there as Facebook market place seems better price wise locally .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol kind of looks like the returned rack at our local Best Buy . Craigs list west of me in Cincinnati has some decent stuff as does Pittsburgh although most want top dollar for anything even Bose junk there’s some good finds on there as Facebook market place seems better price wise locally .
Pittsburgh? I grew up about 100 miles north of Pittsburgh in the middle of nowhere. The first 20 years of my life. I went to school in DuBois.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
She won't admit it, but I think she really likes the new sub. She refuses to sit in the sweet spot(s). She could sit right beside me and be in the bubble of goodness but instead sits in one of the mother in law seats so both dogs can lay on either side of her. :oops: You guys have no idea how many times I've tried to explain to her the benefits of sitting in the right seat. She just doesn't care. She wants room on either side for the dogs.

Drives me nuts, but she still appreciates better speakers so I don't give her too much crap. Plus the new sub greatly improved the bass at her seat. She didn't say anything, but I've sat there before and the bass is objectively much better now. Plus all of a sudden she's listening to music with more bass now too... Oh yes, she won't admit it but I know she loves it. I was gone most of this morning and when I got home she had it cranked! She did some cleaning today and turned it up to -15 so she could hear her music while running the vacuum, finished and just left it there. I almost had to shout to be heard!

Little moments like that make me feel good. I love great sound and have it pretty good with WAF. For the record, I acknowledge that to her all the time and let her know I appreciate it. We see so many guys come to the forums wanting a great system with all of these ridiculous constraints and WAF compromises. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that.
Iam lucky in that respect myself she’s always liked good sound but even after 30 years mine won’t touch system she can turn on iTunes and the tv but pretty much leaves it alone — wait that could be a good thing but I have set her down for many hours to show and explain how to run it she’d rather not .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Well most of the time there is nothing in mine either. When I first started thrifting last year it seems like they had something I needed everytime I went in. My Goodwill is great for $1 records though lately nothing good. American Thrift(only in FL I think maybe GA.) is where I got the JBL's and they have upped the prices on some stuff. I'm glad they discounted it or I'd be u dummy should got them! I got a couple of good working turntable for less than $15 last year. Now they are $59-79. I have 4(living room, bedroom and a 2nd smaller room) tables now. One is in the closet as a backup. Waking up early sometimes works sometimes not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well...

View attachment 47496View attachment 47497

View attachment 47499View attachment 47498View attachment 47500

That thrift's audio section is like a Best Buy compared to ours....

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Pittsburgh? I grew up about 100 miles north of Pittsburgh in the middle of nowhere. The first 20 years of my life. I went to school in DuBois.
I know it Iam south of Steubenville close to wheeling on the Ohio side . I bird hunt Pa. a lot .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis