JBL HP-520 speaker thread. Fun.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Woo hoo! Score! Those look great! Great to hear everything is functioning too. They're only gonna sound better once you figure out a good spot. That's so cool man. I'm genuinely tickled you found something really cool.
Yes I was hoping to get something that great one day. These are close to Canton. Really close. Got lucky and went early and scored. Feels great to get something that was worth alot at one time in the early 90s. The bass on these are superb my goodness. My mouth is wide open and this not even that loud. We both got lucky this year.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know man. She's always whacking her toes on crap. She usually does it when it's dark. Her losing a toenail isn't even a big deal anymore... :oops:
Did they grow back good at least? She has my sympathies.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Thanks Mark! I tell ya if you are in a small to medium room you definitely won't need a sub. These dig down without breaking up. Ill definitely check the bottom plate. I gonna have to move them so I can space them a bit better. I might move them to my bedroom. I'm playing a bunch of gens and so far I'm blown away by them. Where I have them now I can't sit in the center to get the Soundstage and separation I really want. Thanks for the push!
Welcome anytime I’ve played with separation a lot seems 8 foot center of tweeter to tweeter is perfect but room size dependent too and toed in a little also improves the soundstage with these .
Dam Iam glad they worked out you’ll love them in a theater setup too . Like I’ve said in the other tread I cross these over at 100 useing two 12 inch subs as I feel they can get muddy with LFE effects but really open up more when the heavy bass is directed away the midrange and upper bass tighten up really nice .

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Welcome anytime I’ve played with separation a lot seems 8 foot center of tweeter to tweeter is perfect but room size dependent too and toed in a little also improves the soundstage with these .
Dam Iam glad they worked out you’ll love them in a theater setup too . Like I’ve said in the other tread I cross these over at 100 useing two 12 inch subs as I feel they can get muddy with LFE effects but really open up more when the heavy bass is directed away the midrange and upper bass tighten up really nice .
If I move them to my room it will be used for Music and Movies. I won't play them loud cause I have next door neighbor and don't wanna upset them, but if they go out! :p I'll take your advice and cross them at 100 and let the sub and Bass shaker take over.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yes I was hoping to get something that great one day. These are close to Canton. Really close. Got lucky and went early and scored. Feels great to get something that was worth alot at one time in the early 90s. The bass on these are superb my goodness. My mouth is wide open and this not even that loud. We both got lucky this year.
Now take your time chose wisely and build a system around these a jbl LC2 is a perfect fit to these in a home theater and be had cheap on eBay lol ! Now to find me a pair of there big brothers hp 580’s .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I so know how you feel, I really do! I'm feeling it vicariously through you right now in fact, lol. That's so cool, yes. I think you just stumbled across a really nice score. By my estimation you're due for an exciting find to cheer you up anyway.

They're not just some run of the mill boring good deal either. They're unique and not common in North America, but still JBL, a recognized and respected name. You know I'll bet if you put those on Audiogon you could get 5 - 600 bucks for them. Maybe even more in parts, but it sounds like they're keepers to me.

Can you access the internal drivers at all? Like through the top maybe? I'm just curious. I'd be bumping some bassy tunes and hold my hand around the edges of the "port" to see if I could feel some air moving. Then I'd shine a flashlight through the top glass and port and watch the drivers on the inside move. In fact I'd prolly take 'em apart just to get a good look inside, but that's me. I've always been like that

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If I move them to my room it will be used for Music and Movies. I won't play them loud cause I have next door neighbor and don't wanna upset them, but if they go out! :p I'll take your advice and cross them at 100 and let the sub and Bass shaker take over.
Lol oh lord my mother in law is 90 and when I crank up a movie she’ll call over and ask my wife if it’s storming she lives next door in her home 150 away . You may want to go up or down with the hz you’ll know when you find it .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Did they grow back good at least? She has my sympathies.
Oh yeah, they grow back. Then she whacks her toe on something else and loses another one. It's not really even a deal anymore 'cept when I pick on her about it, lol. It's as common as like, getting her hair done.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I so know how you feel, I really do! I'm feeling it vicariously through you right now in fact, lol. That's so cool, yes. I think you just stumbled across a really nice score. By my estimation you're due for an exciting find to cheer you up anyway.

They're not just some run of the mill boring good deal either. They're unique and not common in North America, but still JBL, a recognized and respected name. You know I'll bet if you put those on Audiogon you could get 5 - 600 bucks for them. Maybe even more in parts, but it sounds like they're keepers to me.

Can you access the internal drivers at all? Like through the top maybe? I'm just curious. I'd be bumping some bassy tunes and hold my hand around the edges of the "port" to see if I could feel some air moving. Then I'd shine a flashlight through the top glass and port and watch the drivers on the inside move. In fact I'd prolly take 'em apart just to get a good look inside, but that's me. I've always been like that
I have taken one apart you know for science the glass top lifts out and the top part is like a cone shaped baffle in the middle of the port . Indeed you can feel air move around the top . The bass drivers are only accessible from the bottom . He definitely got a deal .

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know man. She's always whacking her toes on crap. She usually does it when it's dark. Her losing a toenail isn't even a big deal anymore... :oops:
Ummmm. That whole statement just sounds off man :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol oh lord my mother in law is 90 and when I crank up a movie she’ll call over and ask my wife if it’s storming she lives next door in her home 150 away . You may want to go up or down with the hz you’ll know when you find it .
Yeah, I'd go a little lower for a crossover. Those should do really well with 80 hz, tho of course the room will have its effect so higher may sound better. I'd try lower first tho.

This thread is getting some action now! You know for me part of the fun in finding good deals like this is sharing it here with you guys. :cool:

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Me too! I was a little nervous because they couldn't be tested. I'd have felt bad if he got them home after we nudged him and they were cooked!
Oh me too but usually if you can find a pair if you can they were usually taken care of cause they were pretty high end back then and not many could afford them when new but these looked good to me . When new when they were introduced they were close to 1,200 apiece in the few stores that carried this line . He’ll dig the poop out of these the more he listens to them . But I’d of felt really bad too .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a really awesome score congrats!!!!
Zilla! Always showing up when someone gets something cool! Dude, I'm loving that sub. It totally lives up to what you told me about it. No regrets whatsoever. It transformed my system. My gnarly-toed wife even notices the difference and likes it.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yeah, I'd go a little lower for a crossover. Those should do really well with 80 hz, tho of course the room will have its effect so higher may sound better. I'd try lower first tho.

This thread is getting some action now! You know for me part of the fun in finding good deals like this is sharing it here with you guys. :cool:
I’ve got a big reflective room high ceilings it can get boomy in here but these will bring the deep bass out . I love guys finding good deals heck I’ve found them and give a few to people too .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis