Is it time to Ditch Vinyl?

Is it Time to Dump Vinyl?

• Yes. High Res digital streaming is better and here to stay.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No way man. Vinyl is still king.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Embrace all formats, even 8-Track!

Votes: 31 50.8%

• Total voters
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Oh yes - I hope so - I'd seriously love a retro style Bakelite 1950's TV with lots of Bakelite knobs and Chrome toggle switches - a remote always has it's own agenda - once it's found.:D
I thought people had kids, so they wouldn't need to get up to change the channel.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How would someone stream to the MusicCast turntable?
You stream to the MusicCast Turntable like you would stream to any other MusicCast system. :D

The MC TT has WiFi and Wired Ethernet. Setup would be similar to setting up MusicCast on any Yamaha AVP or AVR or Receiver with MusicCast.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The only record player I ever owned was one of these:

As a kid I had some records that I would listen to on my dad's record player. The old Disney ones with an actual scene from the movie on it. I thought those were super cool.

Once I started buying my own music in the late 80's I bought on cassette and then once CD came out I went all in on that. I still buy CD's today, rip them to flac, and then stream it wherever I want through Plex.

highfigh

highfigh

You stream to the MusicCast Turntable like you would stream to any other MusicCast system. :D

The MC TT has WiFi and Wired Ethernet. Setup would be similar to setting up MusicCast on any Yamaha AVP or AVR or Receiver with MusicCast.

I never thought about doing that- they usually talk about this as a way to listen to LPs on any other MusicCast device- never heard anyone refer to streaming to the turntable. That would make it work well for an older non-streaming capable system. Like the A-S1200-3200 integrated amp series.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If you think Hendrix sounds bad on the vinyl and CDs in your collection, check out some of the remastered versions- they sound far different from the original LPs. WRT his live recordings, remember, those were recorded between '66 and the middle of 1970- the facilities for live recordings wasn't always great and he didn't care as much about tuning his guitar as he did about the music.
I wasn't pointing fingers, whatever the reason may be, I don't get much better sound on CD. I have various editions and some very funny ones; original tapes went through the DSP and then back on vinyl. I've tried a lot of them and some improvement is audible, but IMO not worth the trouble.

This is the funny one:
1611592221968.png

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is the one everybody wants to buy from me I have to chase them away with a broom :mad:
1611592356080.png

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
But its so perfect, clean and quiet, I'm not giving it away. Also, I'm not getting a CD of it. I don't see the need.
1611592444215.png

highfigh

highfigh

But its so perfect, clean and quiet, I'm not giving it away. Also, I'm not getting a CD of it. I don't see the need.
View attachment 43986
Well, Janey Hendrix (his sister) is known for releasing his tapes on vinyl or digitally just for the money regardless of the quality they'll bring in, so.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You CANNOT stream to the A-S1200, A-S2200, or A-S3200 Integrated amps. No internal DAC. No digital Inputs/outputs.

You can stream to the MusicCast Turntable.
I wouldn't have guessed from the way you wrote that, but thought the tt was only a BT transmitter rather than both receiver and transmitter....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I never thought about doing that- they usually talk about this as a way to listen to LPs on any other MusicCast device- never heard anyone refer to streaming to the turntable. That would make it work well for an older non-streaming capable system. Like the A-S1200-3200 integrated amp series.
Exactly. The MusicCast Turntable will TURN your Analog system into a Digital music streamer. :D

Best of both worlds. You can play vinyl or stream music WiFi using MusicCast or AirPlay2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. The MusicCast Turntable will TURN your Analog system into a Digital music streamer. :D

Best of both worlds. You can play vinyl or stream music WiFi using MusicCast or AirPlay2.
Interesting, so this tt "hub" is not limited to BT streaming, but handles wifi and assume its dlna and not just limited to MusicCast or Airplay?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, it's time to ditch your vinyl. I'll give you $0.25 per pound for it to go to a really nice Pro-Ject Branded recycling center, as seen in my avatar ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Anything with MusicCast can be used as the source in a system that has other MusicCast pieces by grouping the others with the turntable, or music from another MusicCast piece can be used as the source and other zones grouped with it. It works with AirPlay, Bluetooth or the MusicCast app which includes DLNA as a streaming method. Looks like the only thing missing is the USB port for using a thumb drive or other hard drive as the source of the music. Not a problem since another MusicCast piece can be used as the source for that and the turntable grouped to it. It has an ethernet port, too.

highfigh

highfigh

I know how MusicCast works- I have posted many times that I use a WXC-50- I just didn't think about the turntable as a streamer because I hadn't really seen much about it and haven't had a customer ask about turntables in a long time. Now that I know it has an ethernet port, etc, it's something I'll remember to consider if someone asks about adding a turntable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting, so this tt "hub" is not limited to BT streaming, but handles wifi and assume its dlna and not just limited to MusicCast or Airplay?
Exactly. TT + almost full Music Streaming capabilities. Old world meets New world. :D

Gotta be the Prettiest looking music streamer, especially at this price. :D

MusicCast, AirPlay2 (the best 2 :D)
SNR: > 110dB
THD: < 0.003%
MP3 / WMA / MPEG-4 AAC: up to 48 kHz / 16-bit, ALAC: up to 96 kHz / 24-bit, FLAC / WAV / AIFF: up to 192 kHz / 24-bit, DSD: up to 11.2 MHz

Vinyl at it's best. :D

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. TT + almost full Music Streaming capabilities. Old world meets New world. :D

Gotta be the Prettiest looking music streamer, especially at this price. :D

SNR: > 110dB
THD: < 0.003%
MP3 / WMA / MPEG-4 AAC: up to 48 kHz / 16-bit, ALAC: up to 96 kHz / 24-bit, FLAC / WAV / AIFF: up to 192 kHz / 24-bit, DSD: up to 11.2 MHz

Vinyl at it's best. :D

Well the looks don't do much for me....my tt is prettier and is totally ANAL LOG. :)

Big-Q

Big-Q

Junior Audioholic
In my current systems, I listen to and enjoy multiple formats. On many days I listen to LP’s, CD’s, Cassettes, and stream. They all have their place in my musical listening life and enjoyment. When I wake up, on goes the CD changer as I listen to Classical CD’s while doing quite activities in the morning. When I start getting ready for work, I pull something up on ROON or pop a disc into my SACD player. The commute to work is a CD or music from the auto’s music server. At work I mostly stream through my Cambridge Audio CNX but also play CD’s. In the evening I spin on average two LP’s as I relax. After that most often ROON again.

I rarely buy a digital download unless it is the only way to get the music I want. I buy a CD most often or a CD and a LP and then rip a FLAC file for my ROON core. To my ears sometimes a CD sounds better than a Hi-Res stream or LP of the same album (cassettes always sound the worst but some music I only have in that format). Sometimes one of the other formats sounds better. It all depends on many variables.

I purchased my first LP in 1976 and was smart enough to take care of my LP’s and save them for many years even when I did not have a turntable operating. I enjoy them today.

It is certainly true streaming is and will be the preferred means of listening to music for the masses. With that said, LP’s and CD’s will still continue to have a market and be enjoyed by many people for years to come.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im not ditching vinyl anytime soon. I just received my order of 4 blues artist on 180gm vinyl, one of which is a mulicolored red album, all of them, 180gms. I did some background reading on two of the artists and will share that in the "what have you been listening lately". All 4 albums came with a 320KBs mp3 diwn load coupon.

E

ecb

Audiophyte
Whole heartedly agree, like my vinyl from the 70s, but now more for the nostalgia. Liked your article, would suggest in the future leaving your politics out of the article, just detracts from the subject and makes you come off rather ignorant wrt politics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis