Integra DRX-8.4 11.2CH Flagship AVR Better than Denon?

EpsilonZer0

EpsilonZer0

Enthusiast
Im just happy to see the emphasis on XLR inputs and outputs again from all of the manufacturers. Its been quite a while since we saw XLR inputs on any of the mainstream Japanese AVRs.
I can only think of certain high end turntables that support XLR outputs but nevertheless an input is a welcome addition to any highend AVR.

Now they need to make an exclusively pre/pro version of the Integra and I would be on board.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Im just happy to see the emphasis on XLR inputs and outputs again from all of the manufacturers. Its been quite a while since we saw XLR inputs on any of the mainstream Japanese AVRs.
I can only think of certain high end turntables that support XLR outputs but nevertheless an input is a welcome addition to any highend AVR.

Now they need to make an exclusively pre/pro version of the Integra and I would be on board.
They did in past references to Play-Fi certification and WiFi certification mention the Integra R1.4 - in both an AVR and AVP version.

Whether these eventuate is still to be seen!

S

screen_x

Audiophyte
I was very excited when this receiver was announced. XLR pre-outs and Center channel bi-amping is exactly what I have been waiting for, but was a bit disappointed to find out that XLR Pre outs only do 2volts and RCA only does 1 volt. My old/current DTR 70.4 does 2Volts on RCA pre-outs. Why would they not allow at least 4Volts for XLR on their flagship receiver? :(

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Do not rely on the "specs"

The specs for the RZ50 are the same - but when measured on the test bench, the output max was over 3.5V

We won't know actual output until we see some bench tests

1V is the de-facto RCA "standard"
2V is the de-facto balanced/pro/XLR "standard"

so they are quoting the standards ie: "we are compliant"

What you are seeking is what is their max, and what is the quality (distortion level) of the output at the various levels ....

I too am looking forward to proper lab bench tests!

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
My DRX-8.4 has arrived and it is a beast:
DRX8.4_1.jpeg

Size comparison with the Denon X3700H:
DRX8.4_2.jpeg

Quite a bit of copper inside:
DRX8.4-3.jpeg

I've already done a calibration with Dirac Live and DLBC, but the first bug I've come across is the 20 ms max channel delay bug, as seen on D+M receivers as well as the RZ-50/DRX-3.4 before it was patched:

ChannelDelayBug.png

At the moment, I have my subwoofer on a wireless adapter due to the construction underway in my living room. Tomorrow AM, I'll find a temporary spot where I can direct wire it in order to get proper channel delays configured. I've opened a ticket with Integra requesting an increase to 50 ms maximum delay, and will do so with Dirac as well.

Once I've got the sub hardwired, I'll take some new REW sweeps and post comparisons between DL and DLBC.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Who am I kidding about "tomorrow"...new channel delays with hardwired SW:

View attachment 61781
So nice, I always prefer delays vs the confusing "distances".
When testing DLBC, be sure to play around with the crossover setting, because I found the default setting not optimized for the smoothest bass, not just for the mmp but other positions too.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
So nice, I always prefer delays vs the confusing "distances".
When testing DLBC, be sure to play around with the crossover setting, because I found the default setting not optimized for the smoothest bass, not just for the mmp but other positions too.
What do you recommend generally? Higher or lower? Also, I notice there are two options: BC Upmix and BC Complete. I went with BC Complete, but I'm not totally clear on the difference. I'm also curious about trying Double-Bass on a slot to see how that interacts between mains and sub.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you recommend generally? Higher or lower? Also, I notice there are two options: BC Upmix and BC Complete. I went with BC Complete, but I'm not totally clear on the difference. I'm also curious about trying Double-Bass on a slot to see how that interacts between mains and sub.
It depends on the results. In my case, 90 Hz works better than 80 Hz. I haven't touched it for a long time, so I don't remember the upmix vs complete thing. My experience with dlbc was in beta testing only, the PC standalone version.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Still dialing things in. I tried both 70 and 90 Hz XO. Interestingly enough, I seem to be getting better results with DLBC off at those cross over points. o_O
DLBC_70_90.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Still dialing things in. I tried both 70 and 90 Hz XO. Interestingly enough, I seem to be getting better results with DLBC off at those cross over points. o_O
View attachment 61806
I posted mine on ASR, it was no pretty with the default crossover. At the time, I thought may be that's because of the beta version but it looks like you have similar finding. That's why I am skeptical with ART, what looks good on paper, may not look at good for real world use as it depends on all kinds of things.

Dirac Live DLBC comparisons, no smoothing:

1683318220845.png

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I posted mine on ASR, it was no pretty with the default crossover. At the time, I thought may be that's because of the beta version but it looks like you have similar finding. That's why I am skeptical with ART, what looks good on paper, may not look at good for real world use as it depends on all kinds of things.

View attachment 61815
I'll play around with it a bit more this afternoon to see if I can tweak the crossover better -- I'm also curious to try running my mains at full range with Double Bass.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic

View attachment 61815
Hmm. A bit confused - I have better REW charts even without any Dirac or DLBC. I start doubting it is that powerful... Or maybe my room is that good.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm. A bit confused - I have better REW charts even without any Dirac or DLBC. I start doubting it is that powerful... Or maybe my room is that good.
Now you see why many people don’t care about ANY room correction (RC).

Or perhaps many people’s rooms are THAT good (LUCKY). :D

Even if the RC makes the REW graph LOOKS better, it also doesn’t guarantee that you will like the way it SOUNDS.

Or maybe some people THINK they like the way it sounds AFTER they have already seen that their REW graphs look better. :D

With that said, I do believe that Subwoofers need to be EQ.

Last edited:
A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Now you see why many people don’t care about ANY room correction (RC).

Even if the RC makes the REW graph LOOKS better, it also doesn’t guarantee that you will like the way it SOUNDS.

Or maybe some people THINK they like the way it sounds AFTER they have already seen that their REW graphs look better. :D

Or perhaps many people’s rooms are THAT good. :D

Yeah, I would still like to try it. Trying to set it up on my MacBook. Unfortunately Dirac just gives you 14 days to check if you are satisfied to spend up to $849 on the licenses

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you like to post it and compare? Keep in mind the one I posted were with no smoothing. Many would use 1/6 ore even 1/3 smoothing and if I did that it would look like a flat line.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't disagree, that's why I only show 20 to 200 or 300 Hz, though I typically show LRS, left, right, Subs just to see how they integrate and the effects of different XO points.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Would you like to post it and compare? Keep in mind the one I posted were with no smoothing. Many would use 1/6 ore even 1/3 smoothing and if I did that it would look like a flat line.
Will do. Now that you said I am not 100% about smoothing. I might have used one at least for above 200hz))) If your chart is without any smoothing that is actually impressive.

I am migrating from Windows to my M1 MacBook and I started the free 14 days Dirac license. Having some issues with no sound on the Mac when I engage Dirac processor. Spent already 2 days out of 14)))

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis