Infinity speakers back on sale!

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Yeah, I imagine the salvaged some parts but scrapped the cabinets!
For sure. With speakers sold as refurbished though I've never gotten anything that didn't look (and probably was) brand new. RBH,Wharfedale, HTD etc...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I see the 253 for $179/ea utilizes one of their higher end flat piston midrange drivers. Some legit good deals there.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The R12 sub

Cyber Monday sale
@ryanosaur , the R12 sub (or 2) at $144/ea (use my link below) would be a nice match for your AudioEngines! Not quite in the same league as your Outlaw X-13's but at 1/8 the price, it will give the AE's bass on par with (or a little better than) your BMR's!
I don't know if your desktop has any EQ or tuning provisions, but I feel fairly comfortable recommending these because they did not tune them for HT (they could have tuned for a lower port frequency) and it does have a low frequency trim adjustment to do a little tuning.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not sure what is going on, but for this sale which ends tonight, if you type the model number into Google shopping, you will get a link to the item at the Infinity website which gives an additional 10% discount. I am not positive this is true for all Infinity items, but it worked on the R12 in my last post!

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I'm thinking a pair of 162's with an R12 would be a sweet bedroom or garage set up...
Harman site is cheaper than the Infinity site too.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm thinking a pair of 162's with an R12 would be a sweet bedroom or garage set up...
Harman site is cheaper than the Infinity site too.
I don't think you could do better for SQ at $310!
Full range and great accuracy, IMHO!

E

EchoHD

Audiophyte
Hello everyone, I'm needing guidance. I purchased a set of r162 and r12 due to the great reviews and wonderful deal. I have this hooked up to my dad's old Harman hardon AVR125. I'm finding the sound to be underwhelming. My previous sound system was a Vizio 2.1 soundbar (6" sub) which to be honest sounds better to me and this just baffles me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello everyone, I'm needing guidance. I purchased a set of r162 and r12 due to the great reviews and wonderful deal. I have this hooked up to my dad's old Harman hardon AVR125. I'm finding the sound to be underwhelming. My previous sound system was a Vizio 2.1 soundbar (6" sub) which to be honest sounds better to me and this just baffles me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
You need to describe the problem better. We couldn't tell you what the problem is based on such a terse description. The Infinity speakers should perform quite a bit better than the soundbar.

E

EchoHD

Audiophyte
You need to describe the problem better. We couldn't tell you what the problem is based on such a terse description. The Infinity speakers should perform quite a bit better than the soundbar.
Thanks for the quick response. The bass out of the r12 isn't as tight and the clarity isnt there from the R162 at lower volume(it's better at louder volumes but then it's too loud to keep listening), it's as if a screen/barrier is in front of the speakers (I took the grills off)preventing it from projecting. I'm not an audiophile so these are the best descriptions I could think of. Not to bash these speakers but I was expecting to be blown away by them coming from the soundbar. Would upgrading the AV receiver helps? Thanks again.

E

EchoHD

Audiophyte
Where is your crossover set, speakers set to small? Did you run any kind of room correction?
I set the crossover at 80hz, speakers set to small (I did try large, didn't make big of a difference), room correction is not avail to me with this AVR

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I set the crossover at 80hz, speakers set to small (I did try large, didn't make big of a difference), room correction is not avail to me with this AVR

I'm gonna suggest work on your placement then. Are they close to any room boundaries? No cubby holes or anything. Tweeters at ear height, as close to a triangle as you can get between you and your speakers.

Another thing it could be is that soundbar perhaps exaggerated some of the higher frequencies which would make them bright, but also a bit more detailed. Going from bright speakers to flat or neutral speakers might explain it too.

E

EchoHD

Audiophyte
I'm gonna suggest work on your placement then. Are they close to any room boundaries? No cubby holes or anything. Tweeters at ear height, as close to a triangle as you can get between you and your speakers.

Another thing it could be is that soundbar perhaps exaggerated some of the higher frequencies which would make them bright, but also a bit more detailed. Going from bright speakers to flat or neutral speakers might explain it too.
I'm thinking your explanation of the brighter sound from the soundbar to a more flat is spot on. The soundbar just sounds cleaner, the bass much tighter (same placement). I'll play around with the speaker placement like you've said, really wanna keep these speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking your explanation of the brighter sound from the soundbar to a more flat is spot on. The soundbar just sounds cleaner, the bass much tighter (same placement). I'll play around with the speaker placement like you've said, really wanna keep these speakers.

Try getting them set up and optimized as best as possible and give yourself a couple of weeks, if you can. I don't know what kind of return window you might have, but you may start preferring them over your soundbar over time. Like I said, give it a couple of weeks then hook your Soundbar back up. You might be surprised.

Hopefully you have a return window so all else failing you can always send them back, but I would be shocked if they didn't sound better than that sound bar.

*Edit: also, try raising your crossover up some more. Try a hundred hz, maybe even 120.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Have you tried the AVR with any other speakers to make sure it is working properly?
You said it was your dad's old AVR, so I am wondering that there might be something off about it.
Also check the manual and if there is a "reset" option, I would reset it just to make sure there are not any errant settings lurking! If not, put it in "Stereo Direct" mode
Also make sure that (assuming you are feeding it from the TV) you go through the TV menu and disable any "audio enhancement" "features". The idea is to get everything back to the "plain-Jane" signal, then you can play with any tweaking from there. For example, a EQ system to help the TV speakers may artificially add bass and treble to help out, but with good speakers like the Infinity R162's you don't want that.
Is your source the TV? How is it connected to the AVR?
As you describe it, I think the issue is something bigger than position of your speakers. These speakers with the R12 should far exceed a Vizio soundbar (although I do believe Vizio makes some decent soundbars - but they are limited to typically 3" drivers and often the sub is more woofer than subwoofer!

Last edited:
E

EchoHD

Audiophyte
Have you tried the AVR with any other speakers to make sure it is working properly?
You said it was your dad's old AVR, so I am wondering that there might be something off about it.
Also check the manual and if there is a "reset" option, I would reset it just to make sure there are not any errant settings lurking! If not, put it in "Stereo Direct" mode
Also make sure that (assuming you are feeding it from the TV) you go through the TV menu and disable any "audio enhancement" "features". The idea is to get everything back to the "plain-Jane" signal, then you can play with any tweaking from there. For example, a EQ system to help the TV speakers may artificially add bass and treble to help out, but with good speakers like the Infinity R162's you don't want that.
Is your source the TV? How is it connected to the AVR?
As you describe it, I think the issue is something bigger than position of your speakers. These speakers with the R12 should far exceed a Vizio soundbar (although I do believe Vizio makes some decent soundbars - but they are limited to typically 3" drivers and often the sub is more woofer than subwoofer!
I havent try with another AVR. I did run all my test under PCM stereo mode with no EQ enhancement. Maybe I should check out a nearby bestbuy to bring home a new one to test. Thanks for all the responses, I have another week with it before I can no longer return.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis