Infinity speakers back on sale!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Does anyone own the r10 sub? Not finding too many reviews online so far. Suited for music and movies?
Thanks
I have been checking out the R12. I would assume the general character of the R10 would be the same on the basis that if the same engineer(s)/designer(s) developed both they would use the same approach, only scaling things so as not to tax the 10" driver.
I think this review includes a good discussion of the R12:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system

He describes the R12 as "a commendably subtle sub" and I think that is fair. If you want to impress your friends with lots of low end oomph, you'd want a sub that calls attention to itself. The R12 (and I'd bet the R10) blends seamlessly with the mains and it just seems like the mains have a ridiculous amount of bass for bookshelf speakers (with the R162's in my case). There is good solid bass for HT, but not like you'd get out of most of the subs recommended here (which run at least 3 times the price).
So my thought is it is a very good sub for music, but it will not induce the "sh!ts and giggles effect" of the serious kick-ass subs for HT. It will add a lot of solid bass for HT. This is specifically my perspective, but if I am just wanting to watch a movie for the entertainment of the show, a sub like the R12 is a great asset, but if I am wanting to experience the HT effects as a thrill (kind of like a rollercoaster ride),I want the sub that says "hey, hold my beer and check out this sh!t"!
If you want the latter, look elsewhere and start saving $!

On R10 vs R12, the Crutchfield comparison below only puts it as a difference between 29Hz (R12) and 31Hz (R10); however, it is a safe bet that there is also a significant difference in how loud they can play those frequencies which is not reflected in the charts. For a BR sized setup, I think the R10 would work well, for a larger room I'd look at the R12 (or two)!
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgnMP1tjBZ2/compare_108SUBR10_108SUBR12/Infinity-Reference-SUB-R10-vs-Infinity-Reference-SUB-R12.html

In case you are not aware, the R12 is currently available at $200 for refurbished units:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/SUBR12BK-Z.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3308392364&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Brand+(No+Product)&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=520457207964_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_components&product_id=SUBR12BK-Z&utm_content=Infinity&adpos=1o1&creative=289426932644&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSbZptSbXnGSmjyVeCy-f6OJwpY7rJI971mQGgkUuPcQGYdgcGX9--oaAuaoEALw_wcB

It does come with the standard (for new Infinity subs) 5 year speakers/2 year electronics warranty!

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
I have been checking out the R12. I would assume the general character of the R10 would be the same on the basis that if the same engineer(s)/designer(s) developed both they would use the same approach, only scaling things so as not to tax the 10" driver.
I think this review includes a good discussion of the R12:
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/infinity-reference-r162-speaker-system

He describes the R12 as "a commendably subtle sub" and I think that is fair. If you want to impress your friends with lots of low end oomph, you'd want a sub that calls attention to itself. The R12 (and I'd bet the R10) blends seamlessly with the mains and it just seems like the mains have a ridiculous amount of bass for bookshelf speakers (with the R162's in my case). There is good solid bass for HT, but not like you'd get out of most of the subs recommended here (which run at least 3 times the price).
So my thought is it is a very good sub for music, but it will not induce the "sh!ts and giggles effect" of the serious kick-ass subs for HT. It will add a lot of solid bass for HT. This is specifically my perspective, but if I am just wanting to watch a movie for the entertainment of the show, a sub like the R12 is a great asset, but if I am wanting to experience the HT effects as a thrill (kind of like a rollercoaster ride),I want the sub that says "hey, hold my beer and check out this sh!t"!
If you want the latter, look elsewhere and start saving $!

On R10 vs R12, the Crutchfield comparison below only puts it as a difference between 29Hz (R12) and 31Hz (R10); however, it is a safe bet that there is also a significant difference in how loud they can play those frequencies which is not reflected in the charts. For a BR sized setup, I think the R10 would work well, for a larger room I'd look at the R12 (or two)!
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-sgnMP1tjBZ2/compare_108SUBR10_108SUBR12/Infinity-Reference-SUB-R10-vs-Infinity-Reference-SUB-R12.html

In case you are not aware, the R12 is currently available at $200 for refurbished units:
https://www.harmanaudio.com/infinity/SUBR12BK-Z.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3308392364&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Brand+(No+Product)&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=520457207964_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_components&product_id=SUBR12BK-Z&utm_content=Infinity&adpos=1o1&creative=289426932644&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl6LoBRDqARIsABllMSbZptSbXnGSmjyVeCy-f6OJwpY7rJI971mQGgkUuPcQGYdgcGX9--oaAuaoEALw_wcB

It does come with the standard (for new Infinity subs) 5 year speakers/2 year electronics warranty!
Lots of good info, thanks Kurt!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about those articles, I find it really helpful as I am still on the process of setting up my own infinity speakers.
Which ones are you setting up?
If the towers, be sure to check out Page 2 (linked below) starting with "The Downside" (just after the Apocalypse Now "Never get out of the Boat" video clip)! Continue through the Conclusion.
He is talking about their 6" towers, but I suspect the same is true for the 5" towers.
But I consider Brent Butterworth one of the best reviewers outside of AH reviews and appreciate that he does make the effort to interpret the measurements in the context of his listening experience. Aside from the measurements, that puts things into the subjective domain and he may not always make the right conclusions, but I have not seen any of the type of BS out of him that we routinely see out of many reviewers!
https://hometheaterreview.com/measurements-i-also-did-full/?page=2

Last edited:
R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Ok. Thinking of ordering a set of the 253 towers but the larger center(RC263) isn't part of this particular sale. I'm in a smaller sealed space and don't listen at or near Reference level(-32dB Relative at most) so what do you think I should do KEW? Just run with the towers as a phantom center setup until the larger center goes back on sale based on previous Slickdeal notices (hopefully) or just pick up the smaller center and see how it sounds as I still have the free 30 day return period through Infinity? I can't believe I'm actually doing this as it was only my intent to add a new pair of books but I really like their sound signature in my space. I'm used to having a larger center channel speaker as well and can accommodate the 25 inch width of the RC263. I ordered the dedicated side surrounds already. They'll be here tomorrow. Haven't ordered the mains yet. Tried calling Infinity and got bubkus as far as a discount offer so here I am in "Time to make a decision mode." I'll be returning the 152's as well if I do this obviously.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Here's one owner's thoughts:

Make the RC263 fit..............a good gap in overall sound quality between the RC263 and 253. The flat piston midrange makes a big difference along with the larger drivers. Also the same reason the R253 towers sound much better as L/R speakers over the bookshelf R162 all day long.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just run with the towers as a phantom center setup until the larger center goes back on sale
That is what I'd do. I don't think many have actually tried this, but I think they would be surprised at how well it works! You may find yourself starting to question the need for the center!

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
That is what I'd do. I don't think many have actually tried this, but I think they would be surprised at how well it works! You may find yourself starting to question the need for the center!
Yeah KEW, I think that as well. I've actually run that way before when I was swapping over from a Klipsch setup to new towers for over a month. I only have the one seating position and it's a more open type of sound without a center and I grew to like it. However once I added the next new center back in it did what it's namesake stated. I just don't want to have any regrets about going to an even smaller center than I currently have. Plus my older Klipsch setup had an 8 inch woofered center compared to 6.5 inch mains so I've been there before and liked it. Watch now they discontinue the whole line. Someone somewhere said they have a sale about every 5 weeks. Here's hoping it's on again before Black Friday. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah KEW, I think that as well. I've actually run that way before when I was swapping over from a Klipsch setup to new towers for over a month. I only have the one seating position and it's a more open type of sound without a center and I grew to like it. However once I added the next new center back in it did what it's namesake stated. I just don't want to have any regrets about going to an even smaller center than I currently have. Plus my older Klipsch setup had an 8 inch woofered center compared to 6.5 inch mains so I've been there before and liked it. Watch now they discontinue the whole line. Someone somewhere said they have a sale about every 5 weeks. Here's hoping it's on again before Black Friday. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated.
Well, if you are really worried about it, you can get one for $330 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00K7DPUE6/ref=asc_df_B00K7DPUE6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242023900698&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15472423270552272162&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010826&hvtargid=pla-588276937370&psc=1

If you consider how much you saved on the rest of these, paying an extra $150(?) for the center is not terrible (you'd probably still come out at around 50% of MSRP for the entire package). Assuming this is going to be your main system for the next several years it may be worthwhile to make it a done-deal (but if you do, expect them to go back on sale immediately after your return period expireso_O)!

Edit - you may be thinking about earlier in this thread, I guessed they had a sale on these about 5 times a year (as opposed to every 5 weeks)!

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Well, if you are really worried about it, you can get one for $330 from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00K7DPUE6/ref=asc_df_B00K7DPUE6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242023900698&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15472423270552272162&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010826&hvtargid=pla-588276937370&psc=1

If you consider how much you saved on the rest of these, paying an extra $150(?) for the center is not terrible (you'd probably still come out at around 50% of MSRP for the entire package). Assuming this is going to be your main system for the next several years it may be worthwhile to make it a done-deal (but if you do, expect them to go back on sale immediately after your return period expireso_O)!

Edit - you may be thinking about earlier in this thread, I guessed they had a sale on these about 5 times a year (as opposed to every 5 weeks)!
Yup, saw that one. Plus a new one on Ebay and Infinity even has a refurbished one for close to that. I like covering all my bases. That's a valid argument and I just might do that. I think I read that 5 week thing in the owner's thread on AVS but that probably included sales that were just specific to their subwoofers or their bookshelves which searching Slickdeals showed a few. I've also set up a search notification in my local CL just in case.

In the meantime I bought my #10 wood screws and drywall anchors for the surrounds coming tomorrow. This will actually be my first matched setup if you consider the center I don't have ordered yet. I've always either had a mismatched surround or center speaker in my setups. For MC SACD, DVD-A and blu ray I think I'm ready for everything to match. The mains should be here sometime next week. I had zero intention of doing anything like this. I wasn't looking for a new main setup at all. I'm in a bit of shock to be honest. The free return shipping helps a lot though with any buyers remorse type anxiety. We all get it. I still haven't found anything I don't like these 152's playing. Watched the 4K blu ray original Alien release last night( awesome transfer by the way) and it sounded pretty great on these small books.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yup, saw that one. Plus a new one on Ebay and Infinity even has a refurbished one for close to that. I like covering all my bases. That's a valid argument and I just might do that. I think I read that 5 week thing in the owner's thread on AVS but that probably included sales that were just specific to their subwoofers or their bookshelves which searching Slickdeals showed a few. I've also set up a search notification in my local CL just in case.

In the meantime I bought my #10 wood screws and drywall anchors for the surrounds coming tomorrow. This will actually be my first matched setup if you consider the center I don't have ordered yet. I've always either had a mismatched surround or center speaker in my setups. For MC SACD, DVD-A and blu ray I think I'm ready for everything to match. The mains should be here sometime next week. I had zero intention of doing anything like this. I wasn't looking for a new main setup at all. I'm in a bit of shock to be honest. The free return shipping helps a lot though with any buyers remorse type anxiety. We all get it. I still haven't found anything I don't like these 152's playing. Watched the 4K blu ray original Alien release last night( awesome transfer by the way) and it sounded pretty great on these small books.
Glad to hear they are working out so well for you!
I get the "shock" part, but deals like this kind of require you jump on them when they are present. It is a rather unique game Harman is playing where they have frequent sales, but every now and then an item disappears (like the R362 tower or the JBL 530, which then came back after being gone for about 2 years), but it is hard to complain when you get this kind of sound quality on such a small budget.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Glad to hear they are working out so well for you!
I get the "shock" part, but deals like this kind of require you jump on them when they are present. It is a rather unique game Harman is playing where they have frequent sales, but every now and then an item disappears (like the R362 tower or the JBL 530, which then came back after being gone for about 2 years), but it is hard to complain when you get this kind of sound quality on such a small budget.
Yeah, it's definitely the combination of the sound quality for the dollar with this line. Might still be worth it at full retail but I wouldn't have even sniffed ordering the bookshelves at that price point even though I think they're probably still worth it. I have other interests and I'm frugal so no big money speaker purchases for me and that's fine. I'll let you know how the towers sound when I get them next week.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Good deal!
Let us know what you think!
Well I got the 253s delivered and hooked em up. These being my first hifi speakers, I was stunned. I now understand how folks become obsessed and spend thousands. I will hopefully circle back at some point to compare them to the 590s when they arrive.

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Well I got the 253s delivered and hooked em up. These being my first hifi speakers, I was stunned. I now understand how folks become obsessed and spend thousands. I will hopefully circle back at some point to compare them to the 590s when they arrive.
I saw a poster on Slickdeals who said the bass sounded tight( not sure why that's bad) and the sound was muddled on his 253's. Scratching my head on that part because although I haven't gotten my 253's in yet the 152 books show none of that to me. He had a cheaper Klipsch Synergy setup before the Infinity's. Might explain some of it but I've had a Klipsch setup before and the Infinity's are far from muddled in their sound signature.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I saw a poster on Slickdeals who said the bass sounded tight( not sure why that's bad) and the sound was muddled on his 253's. Scratching my head on that part because although I haven't gotten my 253's in yet the 152 books show none of that to me. He had a cheaper Klipsch Synergy setup before the Infinity's. Might explain some of it but I've had a Klipsch setup before and the Infinity's are far from muddled in their sound signature.
I claim no expertise and have no broad hifi listening experience to draw from, but I would agree that the bass does sound right. I certainly mean that in a good way. They don't blow you away in the lower frequencies, but the bass that's there feels clean and controlled.

I've heard absolutely nothing that I'd describe as muddled. I've been keenly listening to mostly music I know best and the detail and clarity seems solid to me. I've spotted several "new" effects in music that I've been listening to for years. Maybe the Slickdeals poster is indeed missing the Klipsch brightness!

R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
Ok, mounted my first RS152 last night. The included template really helped. Put the center of the tweeters about a foot above ear level. My other original set of BIC PL-66 monopoles are a bit too high and I was just too lazy to move its more intricate French cleat mount. Moving these would be super easy. Just hammer the old anchor further into the drywall assuming you don't line up to a wall stud and patch then measure up or down and mark/drill in and place 2 more plastic anchors. These things aren't light so you really want to make sure you fully deploy the anchors tight against the inner drywall or they will start to pull out. Once tight however they hold the speakers securely.

Attachments

Last edited:
R

roadwarrior

Audioholic
I claim no expertise and have no broad hifi listening experience to draw from, but I would agree that the bass does sound right. I certainly mean that in a good way. They don't blow you away in the lower frequencies, but the bass that's there feels clean and controlled.

I've heard absolutely nothing that I'd describe as muddled. I've been keenly listening to mostly music I know best and the detail and clarity seems solid to me. I've spotted several "new" effects in music that I've been listening to for years. Maybe the Slickdeals poster is indeed missing the Klipsch brightness!
Yeah, that's my guess as well. Funny thing is he mentioned moving to another speaker set that just happens to be my current setup. I've compared both sound signatures in my space and I don't see anything less muddled coming from that move. Point being neither are muddled in the least to me. My older Klipsch setup projected movie soundtracks just fine but they made a mess out of a lot of my favorite music.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, a little lean is how I'd describe it. Not bad, and I'd rather too little than too much. What is there is good.
Muddy is absurd.
Maybe he has them tight in the corners and room gain is off the charts, but largely I think he is simply mistaken!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis