In-wall rear surround recommendations

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That's a big fat "depends", lol. @shadyJ is a good guy to ask about that. I haven't had the opportunity to play with any subs that have built in peq capabilities.

*Tho I think the ones that have good peq built in are going to be on the pricier side.
I was under the impression that any DSP built in on the sub didn’t take in account the other sub in the room so not helpful with multiple subs.

Think the approach recommended most often is to find 2 identical, well performing subs of capable output for the room size and find the right placement in the room, so any correction needed is minor rather than major.

In a perfect world, the room itself would be built with speaker performance in mind rather than be working against you.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
MiniDSP is coming directly from Hong Kong. Didn't expect that.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I was under the impression that any DSP built in on the sub didn’t take in account the other sub in the room so not helpful with multiple subs.

Think the approach recommended most often is to find 2 identical, well performing subs of capable output for the room size and find the right placement in the room, so any correction needed is minor rather than major.

In a perfect world, the room itself would be built with speaker performance in mind rather than be working against you.
Didn't think of that. Two subs with their own built-in DSPs sounds like a nightmare to setup.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Didn't think of that. Two subs with their own built-in DSPs sounds like a nightmare to setup.
The DSP built into subs is mainly about tuning the individual unit. Yes, some give the user additional control in the form of eq settings for different scenarios. That said, without software and such, you don’t usually get to play with the DSP built into those plate amps. :)

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
The DSP built into subs is mainly about tuning the individual unit. Yes, some give the user additional control in the form of eq settings for different scenarios. That said, without software and such, you don’t usually get to play with the DSP built into those plate amps. :)
The SVS Pro line allows you to adjust the DSP via a smartphone app. I'd personally prefer to use a laptop, but that isn't an option. Regardless, I am no longer considering an SVS sub. I was just curious.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I just did the subwoofer crawl and the bass was louder in the foyer by the front door (no-go) and loudest up on the balcony on the right side. I put the sub up there on a table and ran Audyssey. It's crazy how I am able to hear it like it's right in front of me in the living room :D. So two 15's is looking like it will work. I can put one in the living room to the left of the mains (where I originally had the SB-1000) and another up on the balcony. Does this sound like a good plan?

The sub on the balcony will be in a corner, which I read is not ideal, but I should be able to correct any cancellation with the miniDSP correct? Furthermore, will connecting the upstairs sub with a wireless module and the downstairs one via hardwired RCA cause issues?

Only downside is my daughter's room is on the other side of the wall, so no subs when she's asleep. I suppose the bass was loud up there before though.

Anyways, pretty excited about getting dual subs. Just need to decide between the HSU ULS-15 MK2, PSA S1512, or Rythmik E15HP. If there won't be much difference between these three, I suppose I'll go with the most economical option, which is the ULS-15 MK2. The guy at PSA said HSU subs are made in China, but the website says Designed and Engineered in the USA. Guess maybe they are assembled in China?

Last edited:
mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Don't bite off my head fellas, but would two VTF-2 MK5 (ported 12) do me well? I like the narrow footprint, the output potential (although maybe not ideal), and the price tag.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The HSU VTF2 mk5 are ported 12in subs. I have a pair in my living room. My space is open to a total of 3400 cu ft. They aren’t as potent as dual ULS15 mk2 subs would be but they are great subs. Yes they are a big improvement over the SVS SB1000. :)

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
HSU subs are designed by Dr HSU In California and the parts are from China. Similiar to Rythmik where Brian Ding designs the subs and they assemble parts from China in Texas. Everything is pretty much from China. :)

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
The HSU VTF2 mk5 are ported 12in subs. I have a pair in my living room. My space is open to a total of 3400 cu ft. They aren’t as potent as dual ULS15 mk2 subs would be but they are great subs. Yes they are a big improvement over the SVS SB1000. :)
Once I determined one of the subs will be placed upstairs, that kind of restricted me to a sub with at least one dimension equal to or less than 15". The VTF-2 MK5 would fit perfectly in both locations.

Last edited:
mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Okay, well, I have them in my shopping cart and am ready to purchase, but I'll wait until the morning to give others time to reply. I hope they will suffice because I'm getting tired of shopping for subs! :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Woohoo! We finally got him, Boys!

Good quality, 12” ported subs. Would be better to go larger, but these are good ones. :)

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Woohoo! We finally got him, Boys!

Good quality, 12” ported subs. Would be better to go larger, but these are good ones. :)
What a relief! :DI'm anxious to buy these suckers and take some measurements with REW so I can pull my hair out trying to create a perfect response. Haha.

jeanrhall

jeanrhall

Audiophyte
Help me with all around sound speakers which are best for best orchestral vst sounds, I want to work on cinematic sound. Mixing on my current speakers is bot fun thats why i'm looking for best speaker in the market right noe

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What a relief! :DI'm anxious to buy these suckers and take some measurements with REW so I can pull my hair out trying to create a perfect response. Haha.
I still think you're going to be underpowered but at least you'll be improving things significantly.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I still think you're going to be underpowered but at least you'll be improving things significantly.
I'll find out soon enough. I'll be ordering them today.

Any issues with running a regular 50' subwoofer cable to the sub upstairs, or is there an in-wall cable more conducive to long runs?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Or wireless kit from SVS would work. (More expensive than a wire though)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just purchase a good cable. I always recommend Monoprice High Quality Subwoofer Cable. It is RG-6, double insulated, 18AWG solid copper core conductor. They are very affordable and work well.
Or a wireless kit. :)
As to the length of the run, it does not matter at that length. Miles, yes. 50’, no. Also, that’s why I recommend this product: the 18AWG conductor is one of the beefiest I’ve seen for subwoofer cables.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Just purchase a good cable. I always recommend Monoprice High Quality Subwoofer Cable. It is RG-6, double insulated, 18AWG solid copper core conductor. They are very affordable and work well.
Or a wireless kit. :)
As to the length of the run, it does not matter at that length. Miles, yes. 50’, no. Also, that’s why I recommend this product: the 18AWG conductor is one of the beefiest I’ve seen for subwoofer cables.
I just bought a 15' and 25' Monoprice cable for my subwoofer crawl test. They do seem like nice cables. I don't think I like the thought of wireless.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis