In-wall rear surround recommendations

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought you adjusted with the mini first then run audyssey.
That’s been my experience as well. But if you ask 10 different people, you’ll probably get 10 different answers. IMO, pogres results speak for themselves but I’ve had good results the other way too. I believe the theory is run minidsp first, then audyssey has an easier time by way of less to do. Conversely, running audyssey first would likely make it easier to use rew filters in the minidsp.

Chicken.....meet egg.....

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
That’s been my experience as well. But if you ask 10 different people, you’ll probably get 10 different answers. IMO, pogres results speak for themselves but I’ve had good results the other way too. I believe the theory is run minidsp first, then audyssey has an easier time by way of less to do. Conversely, running audyssey first would likely make it easier to use rew filters in the minidsp.

Chicken.....meet egg.....
Gotcha. So perhaps audyssey first, then miniDSP, then Audyssey again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Gotcha. So perhaps audyssey first, then miniDSP, then Audyssey again.
Definitely not. Only run each ONCE. Otherwise audyssey will be correcting itself correcting minidsp.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though you don't have XT32, I still like the idea of running Audyssey first, then checking the situation with REW. You can always kill Audyssey if its not helping. (a simple rew sweep before and after audyssey will show whats being done.)
XT32 + the App just gives you beter control... perhaps better algorithms being employed... but the deciding factor for me, with regards to the app, was the curtain you could set to only work on correcting below a certain frequency (usually between 200-300 Hz, called the Schroeder Frequency).
I think Bill's way would work too, but Auudyssey is the wild card and you might find yourself doing all this work in REW/M-DSP that Audyssey changes and you have to tweak again. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Though you don't have XT32, I still like the idea of running Audyssey first, then checking the situation with REW. You can always kill Audyssey if its not helping. (a simple rew sweep before and after audyssey will show whats being done.)
XT32 + the App just gives you beter control... perhaps better algorithms being employed... but the deciding factor for me, with regards to the app, was the curtain you could set to only work on correcting below a certain frequency (usually between 200-300 Hz, called the Schroeder Frequency).
I think Bill's way would work too, but Auudyssey is the wild card and you might find yourself doing all this work in REW/M-DSP that Audyssey changes and you have to tweak again. ;)
I think you have me and poges backwards. He found better results with rew/minidsp first and I did with audyssey first. In my situation, audyssey messed up what rew did. I can’t reconcile that, and like I said, pogre got great results. Here’s my last one just for fun.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you have me and poges backwards. He found better results with rew/minidsp first and I did with audyssey first. In my situation, audyssey messed up what rew did. I can’t reconcile that, and like I said, pogre got great results. Here’s my last one just for fun.
The same thing happened to me Bill. I've tried it a few different ways and found that Audyssey would actually mess things up if I applied any filters with REW first.

I think to start, Grant had me start with sweeps and REW. Use REW to generate some filters and apply them to my (input section) Mini. Then I ran Audyssey, THEN I would go to the output section and tweak. That did work well, but I didn't like the idea of basically applying 3 sets of filters.

So I switched it up. It just makes more sense to me, to do the Audyssey calibration first and let it do its thing, which is really taming the peaks and it does well there. Also great for level matching and distance. Then I do more sweeps, go into the Mini, tweak it up and try to do as little damage as possible, lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So maybe let’s see the OP’s graph with
2 new subs. Maybe it’s not as bad as we think.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
S'cuse me, I just found something and I think I'm just gonna drop it right below here...

PC2000 in SVS' outlet for ONLY $699

SVS’s proprietary cylinder cabinet design to sharply reduce its footprint. An unshakeable 12-inch down-firing driver and 500 watts RMS, 1,100 watts peak power Sledge amplifier produce deep low frequency extension and room-shaking output typical of much larger powered subwoofers, without sacrificing floor space.

*Pogre whistles innocently and casually strolls away...*

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
S'cuse me, I just found something and I think I'm just gonna drop it right below here...

SVS’s proprietary cylinder cabinet design to sharply reduce its footprint. An unshakeable 12-inch down-firing driver and 500 watts RMS, 1,100 watts peak power Sledge amplifier produce deep low frequency extension and room-shaking output typical of much larger powered subwoofers, without sacrificing floor space.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honest to god, that's tempting for me even! I just don't know how well a PC2000 would blend with my other 2. It could be a hindrance.

@William Lemmerhirt! Your presence has been requested!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Honest to god, that's tempting for me even! I just don't know how well a PC2000 would blend with my other 2. It could be a hindrance.

@William Lemmerhirt! Your presence has been requested!
Yes my friend! I humbly offer any meager assistance I can. How can I help?

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Any Audioholic recommended vendors for purchasing the miniDSP with mic?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes my friend! I humbly offer any meager assistance I can. How can I help?
How do you think a PC2000 would blend in with my system? I have many places I could stick one!

I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon, but for curiosity and future's sake... ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any Audioholic recommended vendors for purchasing the miniDSP with mic?
I see you ignoring my PC2000 post! :p

I ordered mine direct from the site. You can get the mic and Mini combo I think for $205?

*Edit: $205 for the Mini alone. $280 with the mic.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic

But it’s to tall and the port is on the wrong side.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis