I Cussed Out Amazon

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Yeah, been married twice. Neither worked out. Guess I am just not the marrying kind. Like being single for the most part. My sweetheart lives in the Philippines. Do not see Marilou being my 3rd wife. That all depends on the Good Lord. ;)

Cheers,

Phil
Been married 37 years(luck of the draw) but I have always said there wouldn’t be a second wife. There is something to be said for not becoming jaded.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on being married for that long. I know it is not easy as it is a lot of hard work. BTW, I have been married twice. But, the 1st time I was a bit too young inmho. The second just did not work out at all. I do better just staying single. Thanks for the info on Amazon as I do not order from them very often. Will keep this in mind. :)

Cheers,

Phil
I'm right with you guys I do a lot better single just happier that way

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Been married 37 years(luck of the draw) but I have always said there wouldn’t be a second wife. There is something to be said for not becoming jaded.
Wow man that is a long time. Congrats! There is nothing wrong at all being married. In my early 20's I thought love conquered all. Found out rather quickly love does not pay the rent. Lets just say that I got humbled. Then, I went a long time before getting married again. Long story short, it did not last very long. Have also had a few live-ins which were a disaster. So, I made up my mind that being single is best for me. I have no plans on getting married a 3rd time. People say the 3rd is the charm. Maybe so, but not on my watch. :)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Congrats on being married for that long. I know it is not easy as it is a lot of hard work. BTW, I have been married twice. But, the 1st time I was a bit too young inmho. The second just did not work out at all. I do better just staying single. Thanks for the info on Amazon as I do not order from them very often. Will keep this in mind. :)

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks...I've mentioned the D word before out of frustration more than anything, but she never has and probably had more reason to than I did. She stuck with me through some bonehead financial decisions, being in debt and cash poor, me working 3 jobs at once for a couple of yrs to get us out of that hole.

For the most part, it's been fairly smooth...especially the last 20 or so years. I think what helped us was from day one of the marriage we moved away from family so when times did get tough, the only people we had to lean on was each other. As result we learned to work things out.

That said...after 30+ yrs of working things out...I don't have a very compromising mindset anymore, not enough to be legally bound to someone else.

Amazon...if you use it (ordering at least once a month) the Prime upgrade is worth it. Between my wife and I we're in the 20-30 order range per year. Nearly all of those were shipped free and knock on wood...nothing broken yet.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks...I've mentioned the D word before out of frustration more than anything, but she never has and probably had more reason to than I did. She stuck with me through some bonehead financial decisions, being in debt and cash poor, me working 3 jobs at once for a couple of yrs to get us out of that hole.

For the most part, it's been fairly smooth...especially the last 20 or so years. I think what helped us was from day one of the marriage we moved away from family so when times did get tough, the only people we had to lean on was each other. As result we learned to work things out.

That said...after 30+ yrs of working things out...I don't have a very compromising mindset anymore, not enough to be legally bound to someone else.

Amazon...if you use it (ordering at least once a month) the Prime upgrade is worth it. Between my wife and I we're in the 20-30 order range per year. Nearly all of those were shipped free and knock on wood...nothing broken yet.
Moving away from family probably made all of the difference. Very smart move. My 2nd wife's family was way too involved. One day I got off of work and came home. She was crying. So, I am like what's wrong honey? She says she is just not happy and wants to leave. Within 30-minutes I had ALL of her $hit packed and could NOT load it fast enough. An hour after she left, I ordered me lots of new gear. Good rid-dins as far as I was concerned.

I am just about completely out of debt. And, I am not going back into debt ever again b/c of this hobby. Have not bought anything new in well over a year now. Have some new gear on hold and do not owe much on it. For now on out, I pay up front for whatever I buy in this hobby. Much better for me that way.

Honestly, I do not order enough from Amazon to even warrant getting Prime. Otherwise, I would. I do take comfort in knowing that Amazon has been great to deal with in the past. That is why I would NOT hesitate to order from them again. Provided I had the funds to pay for it in advance. I don't even have any CC's anymore. Life is simpler for me that way. I like SIMPLE-much less drama to deal with.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
People also say "bad luck comes in threes"!

... and thus we can conclude that "they" are always right!
Just another good reason for not marrying a 3rd time. That is perfectly alright w/me. Have enough to deal with as it is. :D

Cheers,

Phil

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In North America, fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. Why marry unless you've found a real sister soul and even then? Marriage is not a must. After time, you are taken for granted whereas, if you are just living together, you have to keep that flame on. Also, if it doesn't work, it's a lot less trouble to separate.

I was married once and divorced after 35 years. I had my lesson. How many men are bossed by their wife? I would not accept to be bossed. In a couple, there should be no boss. Period!

Also, times have changed. Sixty years ago, with most couples, only the man worked and was the only source of income. The wife stayed at home as a housewife, keeping the house clean and doing the cooking and taking care of children. Women now have more schooling and are more independent and since they go out to work and meet other people, they have as many occasions as men to be unfaithful. This situation adds to the percentage of divorces.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In North America, fifty percent of marriages end in divorce. Why marry unless you've found a real sister soul and even then? Marriage is not a must. After time, you are taken for granted whereas, if you are just living together, you have to keep that flame on. Also, if it doesn't work, it's a lot less trouble to separate.

I was married once and divorced after 35 years. I had my lesson. How many men are bossed by their wife? I would not accept to be bossed. In a couple, there should be no boss. Period!

Also, times have changed. Sixty years ago, with most couples, only the man worked and was the only source of income. The wife stayed at home as a housewife, keeping the house clean and doing the cooking and taking care of children. Women now have more schooling and are more independent and since they go out to work and meet other people, they have as many occasions as men to be unfaithful. This situation adds to the percentage of divorces.
So very true. As you mention, 50% of all marriages end in divorce. But, 2nd and 3rd marriages the percentage is much higher! Marriage is hard work. I respect anyone that gets truly lucky and finds the right one. It just has been my experience that I have never gotten that lucky. Probably is a blessing as I am extremely OCD. That makes it almost impossible to live with anyone other than myself. Not to mention, I am also a clean freak. Like you, I will not stand for being bossed around. Much less drama being single. Although, it is not for everyone.

Cheers,

Phil

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I just read on MSN, an article about a Parrot was taken into custody cuz he was warning drug dealers..lmao! There's even a photo of the Parrot, so if that person who works at Amazon had a bad day, imagine that poor Parrot being taken into custody for being a lookout for drug dealers. Lol They say he's looking at 5 years hard labor at rikers island..Lolo.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Moving away from family probably made all of the difference. Very smart move. My 2nd wife's family was way too involved. One day I got off of work and came home. She was crying. So, I am like what's wrong honey? She says she is just not happy and wants to leave. Within 30-minutes I had ALL of her $hit packed and could NOT load it fast enough. An hour after she left, I ordered me lots of new gear. Good rid-dins as far as I was concerned.

I am just about completely out of debt. And, I am not going back into debt ever again b/c of this hobby. Have not bought anything new in well over a year now. Have some new gear on hold and do not owe much on it. For now on out, I pay up front for whatever I buy in this hobby. Much better for me that way.

Honestly, I do not order enough from Amazon to even warrant getting Prime. Otherwise, I would. I do take comfort in knowing that Amazon has been great to deal with in the past. That is why I would NOT hesitate to order from them again. Provided I had the funds to pay for it in advance. I don't even have any CC's anymore. Life is simpler for me that way. I like SIMPLE-much less drama to deal with.

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah...my mom (RIP) was a stay at home mom/wife and a meddlesome type even though she didn't think she was so there was no way I was going to live near my parents. My wife is one if 8 kids so she was somewhat anxious to move away...just the two of us, new jobs, totally new locale. Although we dated for 3 yrs before getting hitched, we never lived together prior...so we went through all of the you don't really know someone until you live with them ordeal. That part was somewhat painless actually, but kids, careers, finances, etc...more challenging...a lot more challenging.

Kudos on recognizing the 2nd situation, acting quickly, and knocking out consumer debt. The last think I need at my age is paying high interest on something that I most likely didn't even need....been there, done that, happy to see the other side of it.

The beauty of buying the Salks...50% down I took from part of my bonus check. They took nearly 6 mos to complete so I had already saved up the balance in cash when they were completed. The entire system was purchased without one cent of interest paid...one of my proudest achievements in this hobby I think.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The beauty of buying the Salks...50% down I took from part of my bonus check. They took nearly 6 mos to complete so I had already saved up the balance in cash when they were completed. The entire system was purchased without one cent of interest paid...one of my proudest achievements in this hobby I think.
+1 to this. I had been saving to buy a new sax when I decided a new horn wouldn’t make me blow again (only my will to do so can!). Then I just kept saving after deciding to go HiFi. The only things I put on credit card were the oddball items like wall mount brackets and such accessories: most of which I made a point to pay off right away.
As expensive as this ‘hobby’ can be, it definitely doesn’t help to buy and have it hanging over your head!
The only thing I’m waiting on now is the shipping cost from Jim. I may charge that just for the sake of expedience. But like the other purchases, it’s ready to be paid!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Never buy anything on credit and pay interest. You may make an exception for a home, but that goes double for luxury items! At least a home will typically appreciate in value, pretty much anything else will likely depreciate.

Credit and interest are a big part of the 2008 recession root cuase.

Repeat this:

If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it!

2channel lover

+1 to this. I had been saving to buy a new sax when I decided a new horn wouldn’t make me blow again (only my will to do so can!). Then I just kept saving after deciding to go HiFi. The only things I put on credit card were the oddball items like wall mount brackets and such accessories: most of which I made a point to pay off right away.
As expensive as this ‘hobby’ can be, it definitely doesn’t help to buy and have it hanging over your head!
The only thing I’m waiting on now is the shipping cost from Jim. I may charge that just for the sake of experience. But like the other purchases, it’s ready to be paid!
Nice work!

I had a long, long stretch in between my original system and this one. Kids are now grown and mostly gone...we had the discretionary income so I haven't had to carry any major CC balances for a while. I used this on my grilling pad expenses, and I would tell anyone now...get a Paypal Credit account.

Zero % interest for 6 mos on all purchases over $100...I paid the stone/granite labor in cash and grilling pad materials I bought using Paypal credit and paid it off in 3 mos, not a penny in interest...LOVE that! I'm planning on one more home audio purchase...I think I'm going to go for the Salk Stream player and get all of my music digitized...I'm pretty sure rather than pay $1200-1300 for it in cash, I will purchase it with paypal credit..then pay it off in a couple of months.

I use it when I already have most (at least half) of the funds in cash so there's no way I will go over the 6 mos and incur back interest.

grill island 3.0.jpg

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@2channellover I don't even have any CC's anymore. At one time, I had over 8 of them! In the past, I have gone into debt for this hobby. However, the last 2-years I have not bought anything audio. As a result, I am now $440 away from being completely out of debt! I sleep much better now.

I do have some new gear on"hold" by my former boss that will soon be paid off. That is part of the $440 that I still owe. As such, it feels so much better and much less stress. Now I save for what I buy before buying it no matter what. Unfortunately, it is a bit hard for me to save much money nowadays. But, I remain diligent in doing so.:)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Never buy anything on credit and pay interest. You may make an exception for a home, but that goes double for luxury items! At least a home will typically appreciate in value, pretty much anything else will likely depreciate.

Credit and interest are a big part of the 2008 recession root cuase.

Repeat this:

If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it!
I could NOT agree w/this post any more! Just wished I had listened to my StepDad long ago. You know, the ole "want" vs "need" speech. ;) However, I am now only $440 away from being totally debt free. I did finally get around to taking his advice. He helped me some, but did NOT pay my debt down. Instead, he advised me to consolidate while making a higher payment. For a very good while I have been chipping away. Now, I see the light at the end of the tunnel. Your advice is golden. :)

Cheers,

Phil

2channel lover

@2channellover I don't even have any CC's anymore. At one time, I had over 8 of them! In the past, I have gone into debt for this hobby. However, the last 2-years I have not bought anything audio. As a result, I am now $440 away from being completely out of debt! I sleep much better now.

I do have some new gear on"hold" by my former boss that will soon be paid off. That is part of the $440 that I still owe. As such, it feels so much better and much less stress. Now I save for what I buy before buying it no matter what. Unfortunately, it is a bit hard for me to save much money nowadays. But, I remain diligent in doing so.:)

Cheers,

Phil
Bravo...I have 2 CCs and use them regularly, but I don't carry balances on them, normally. On a large purchase I will have a game plan to pay it off.

I told this story to my kids probably more than once.

My dad was born in '25 and was a young kid when the Great Depression hit so he essentially grew up in the GD era. 9th grade education. When he was getting ready to retire (mom had passed on early unfortunately) I flew down to look at his affairs.

I asked to see his incoming...basically a pension and SS....and his out go...the man had over $1200 a mo positive cash flow...I was like....I should have you looking at MY affairs dad!

Things were different back then, but a single income supported a family of 3 and at 62 retired he had zero debt and was pocketing nearly $10k a yr til he passed at 85....health failed him so his last 5 yrs or so were not great, but he had a good run.

The point is if you don't owe anyone, you can live a decent quality of life without making six figures.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Bravo...I have 2 CCs and use them regularly, but I don't carry balances on them, normally. On a large purchase I will have a game plan to pay it off.

I told this story to my kids probably more than once.

My dad was born in '25 and was a young kid when the Great Depression hit so he essentially grew up in the GD era. 9th grade education. When he was getting ready to retire (mom had passed on early unfortunately) I flew down to look at his affairs.

I asked to see his incoming...basically a pension and SS....and his out go...the man had over $1200 a mo positive cash flow...I was like....I should have you looking at MY affairs dad!

Things were different back then, but a single income supported a family of 3 and at 62 retired he had zero debt and was pocketing nearly $10k a yr til he passed at 85....health failed him so his last 5 yrs or so were not great, but he had a good run.

The point is if you don't owe anyone, you can live a decent quality of life without making six figures.
I can relate to your Mom passing early and your Dad living longer. My situation is almost identical. Just know I offer my sincerest sympathy in that regard. My Stepdad just passed later last year. He had his pension from the Bellsouth/AT&T phone company, SS, and from all of his stocks and bonds via AT&T. After everything was paid settling his estate his dream has always been to give to his church. That is exactly where it went.

He did make me promise him that I would stop all of the non-sense spending on this hobby. So far, I have kept my word. In fact, I gave him ALL of my CC's and watched him put them in his shredder. Things have been really tight, but I now see a light at the end of the tunnel. Plus, I will have some new albeit inexpensive gear coming my way very soon. Should have listened to him years ago. But, we all live and learn. Lets just say my StepDad has my full respect. Luckily, I also had an amazing Mother. May they both RIP! :)

Cheers,

Phil

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Credit cards are nice to have for convenience and cash back. But I agree with the peeps here do not use one if you cant pay off the balance at the end of the month. I have both of mine set on auto pay full balance so I do get the benefits without the HIGH interest charge.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis