I’m in the hospital

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My lung tumor is stable, no increase or decrease in size. The various metastatic sites are fewer in number. And finally, there are no new sites :). The Super Catnip (aka Retevmo® or Selpercatinib) is working well.

The drug's side effects have become more clear to me: extremely dry skin, mouth, and nose lining, as well as overall weakness. Compared to advanced Stage IV lung cancer, I'll take it.
Yesterday, my oncologist agreed with my earlier thoughts after my most recent CT scan.

In years past, advanced metastatic Stage IV lung cancer was a sure death sentence. Under the right circumstances, it now can be treated well enough to be thought of as a chronic disease. Something I can live with.

Don't ask about cures (no evidence of disease for at least 5 years). At least not yet.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Richard, I haven't logged on much latley, and I am just learning of this. It is so you to make this a learning moment... You are an inspiration, my friend. Keep kicking its a$$!!!
It's great to hear from you.

Yes, I do love those 'learning moments'. Sometimes I worry that I can sound too 'teachy preachy'. But more often, I don't :rolleyes:.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
It's great to hear from you.

Yes, I do love those 'learning moments'. Sometimes I worry that I can sound too 'teachy preachy'. But more often, I don't :rolleyes:.
I enjoy your "teachy" bits. They never come across as "preachy" to me.

Glad to see that you're holding your own.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yesterday, I saw my oncologist at Georgetown for my third evaluation since my diagnosis with advanced metastatic lung cancer last November. That’s when I first started taking a new drug I call Super Catnip (aka Selpercatinib or Retevmo®). I had previously been scanned & evaluated in February, April, and now in July. He said my CT scans had nothing but good news. He had seen my brain scan MRI images, but not a signed report yet that would make it official. He thought the MRI images looked really good to him, with no evidence of any spots in my brain, same as it was last February. Later yesterday evening, I finally saw the signed report from Neuro Radiology. It agreed.

Both CT & MRI images show nothing new is growing in my brain or anywhere else, and the existing tumors in my lung, liver and lymph nodes are steadily shrinking. The spots in my brain seen last November, have vanished.

All very good news. Super Catnip continues to work very well.

Interestingly, I also learned that my oncologist’s group recently started treating a patient with colon cancer with this same drug. It apparently works as well in that disease too. Originally, Super Catnip had been approved by the FDA only in patients with thyroid or lung cancer, and only if their tumors had the mutated form of the epidermal growth factor receptor (called the RET-fusion oncogene). Now it can be used with tumors anywhere as long as the patient’s blood is positive for that mutation. For the very conservative FDA, that is quite a bold move. From my highly opinionated viewpoint, Super Catnip qualifies as a miracle drug.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yesterday, I saw my oncologist at Georgetown for my third evaluation since my diagnosis with advanced metastatic lung cancer last November. That’s when I first started taking a new drug I call Super Catnip (aka Selpercatinib or Retevmo®). I had previously been scanned & evaluated in February, April, and now in July. He said my CT scans had nothing but good news. He had seen my brain scan MRI images, but not a signed report yet that would make it official. He thought the MRI images looked really good to him, with no evidence of any spots in my brain, same as it was last February. Later yesterday evening, I finally saw the signed report from Neuro Radiology. It agreed.

Both CT & MRI images show nothing new is growing in my brain or anywhere else, and the existing tumors in my lung, liver and lymph nodes are steadily shrinking. The spots in my brain seen last November, have vanished.

Interestingly, I also learned that my oncologist’s group recently started treating a patient with colon cancer with this same drug. It apparently works as well in that disease too. Originally, Super Catnip had been approved by the FDA only in patients with thyroid or lung cancer, and only if their tumors had the mutated form of the epidermal growth factor receptor (called the RET-fusion oncogene). Now it can be used with tumors anywhere as long as the patient’s blood is positive for that mutation. For the very conservative FDA, that is quite a bold move. From my highly opinionated viewpoint, Super Catnip qualifies as a miracle drug.
That's great news!!!! Keep kicking cancers a$$!!!!!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai

Wow, great news!

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Cats also like the drug Super Catnip. Highly effective they say. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So happy everything is working out, this is great news. Keep up the fight.

Matt34

Matt34

Yesterday, I saw my oncologist at Georgetown for my third evaluation since my diagnosis with advanced metastatic lung cancer last November. That’s when I first started taking a new drug I call Super Catnip (aka or Retevmo®). I had previously been scanned & evaluated in February, April, and now in July. He said my CT scans had nothing but good news. He had seen my brain scan MRI images, but not a signed report yet that would make it official. He thought the MRI images looked really good to him, with no evidence of any spots in my brain, same as it was last February. Later yesterday evening, I finally saw the signed report from Neuro Radiology. It agreed.

Glad to hear @Swerd! My MIL just got diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver. She starts her 2nd round of Chemo tomorrow. I'm going to pass on the Selpercatinib info to my wife and see what the doctors have to say for it in this case.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Glad to hear @Swerd! My MIL just got diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver. She starts her 2nd round of Chemo tomorrow. I'm going to pass on the Selpercatinib info to my wife and see what the doctors have to say for it in this case.
Sorry to hear about your MIL. Best wishes and luck to her!

It's definitely worth asking if she is eligible for that drug. It will require a blood test to see if she has circulating fragments of tumor DNA with the RET-fusion proto-oncogene mutation. If that test comes back positive, she should respond to the drug. I don't know what kind of chemotherapy she is now getting, but it's probably nasty stuff.

Just a heads up. Even though the FDA requires a positive blood test to get this drug, Medicare does not yet pay for it. The wheels of Medicare turn very slowly. So, it might cost her. It depends on health insurance and income.

I had two of those tests, one last November and another a month later. I had to pay for the second test, but not the first. Go figure. The second test showed my levels of circulating DNA with that mutation had dropped by nearly 100%!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selpercatinib

A quick read of this suggests that some types of pancreatic cancer just might have the RET-fusion mutation. See the Comparison Table in the link.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Well, she wasn't able to start her 2nd round of chemo, they went very aggressive on her first round and it looks like it was too much. She hasn't been able to really eat or drink anything so her labs were terrible, they sent her to the ER for acute kidney injury from being severely dehydrated. This is her 2nd night, bunch of fluids but her BP and other other numbers I don't exactly understand aren't responding as they should.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well, she wasn't able to start her 2nd round of chemo, they went very aggressive on her first round and it looks like it was too much. She hasn't been able to really eat or drink anything so her labs were terrible, they sent her to the ER for acute kidney injury from being severely dehydrated. This is her 2nd night, bunch of fluids but her BP and other other numbers I don't exactly understand aren't responding as they should.
Prayers and support for you both.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis