I’m in the hospital

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yesterday I had CT & MRI scans for 8 week evaluation (really 10.5 weeks). Thanks to my electronic Patient Portal, I've seen the Radiology Report.

From the CT scan:
  • Definite overall improvement. (YAY!)
  • Primary lung lesions are smaller, about 32% the area seen in early November – shrinkage of about 66%. (YAY!)
  • Previously enlarged mediastinal prevascular, paratracheal, and subcarinal lymph nodes are overall smaller in size. (YAY!)
  • Fewer & smaller liver metastases, about 41% the area seen in early November – shrinkage of about 59%. (YAY!)
  • Pleural effusions are very small. (YAY!)
  • An enlarged right axillary lymph node (right armpit area) was seen. This was not seen when compared to prior studies. (BOO!)
From the MRI scan:
  • Brain metastases are gone. (YAY!)
Obviously the YAYs outnumber the BOOs. I'm happy with that. But I'm not at all happy with that enlarged lymph node under my right arm. It could indicate metastatic tumor growth despite taking the drug Retevmo (Selpercatinib, Super Catnip) since mid-November. If so, that could mean some tumor cells have already mutated such that they are unaffected by the drug. That could be quite bad.

On Tuesday, I'll see my oncologist for my complete evaluation. There may be other non-life threatening explanations for my enlarged lymph node (me being optimistic), or there may be other treatments available for these mutated tumor cells (me being more realistic).

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Overall mostly positives so that's good. Hopefully the oncologist comes up with an adjusted battle plan to address the one negative. Thanks for the update @Swerd .

jinjuku

jinjuku

I take it the testing is aggressive and hopefully the lymph node was caught early.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the update Swerd. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Hope they can sort out that one BOO!

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yesterday I saw my oncologist for my first evaluation, about 10 weeks after starting Super Catnip chemotherapy. His reactions to my CT & MRI scans were "These are absolutely great news. In fact, they're the best possible results". I was already aware of the scans and the terse dry language in the reports from Radiology, so it was very good to hear my oncologist's opinions in person.

I previously had a blood test that looked for circulating DNA from tumor cells that contained the specific mutation that made my lung cancer sensitive to my medication. It was first done early last November when I was first diagnosed, and it was repeated in December. The results of the more recent test were that tumor DNA had dropped precipitously compared to November's high level. My tumor DNA had dropped by nearly 100% – to almost undetectable levels!!

I directly asked him about my enlarged lymph node under my right arm. (Bullet point 6 in my post #82 above.) What does it mean? Is it bad news, neutral news, or good news? What should we do about it? I was worried that it might mean my lung cancer cells had already mutated to become insensitive to my chemotherapy drug. If so, my remaining days would be numbered.

He didn't know a clear answer at this point. But he was less concerned than I was. Because the CT, MRI and tumor DNA tests were so highly positive, he was less worried than I was. If the tumor had already mutated making them insensitive to the drug, it would be more widespread than a single lymph node. Still, it should be followed closely. I will get another CT scan in about 8 weeks, sooner than the normal interval of 12 weeks. Depending on the results, it might require a biopsy of the lymph node. (That probably is a painful and difficult procedure, requiring surgery.)

All in all, really good news. News that I'm very happy to share here.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yesterday I saw my oncologist for my first evaluation, about 10 weeks after starting Super Catnip chemotherapy. His reactions to my CT & MRI scans were "These are absolutely great news. In fact, they're the best possible results". I was already aware of the scans and the terse dry language in the reports from Radiology, so it was very good to hear my oncologist's opinions in person.

I previously had a blood test that looked for circulating DNA from tumor cells that contained the specific mutation that made my lung cancer sensitive to my medication. It was first done early last November when I was first diagnosed, and it was repeated in December. The results of the more recent test were that tumor DNA had dropped precipitously compared to November's high level. My tumor DNA had dropped by nearly 100% – to almost undetectable levels!!

I directly asked him about my enlarged lymph node under my right arm. (Bullet point 6 in my post #82 above.) What does it mean? Is it bad news, neutral news, or good news? What should we do about it? I was worried that it might mean my lung cancer cells had already mutated to become insensitive to my chemotherapy drug. If so, my remaining days would be numbered.

He didn't know a clear answer at this point. But he was less concerned than I was. Because the CT, MRI and tumor DNA tests were so highly positive, he was less worried than I was. If the tumor had already mutated making them insensitive to the drug, it would be more widespread than a single lymph node. Still, it should be followed closely. I will get another CT scan in about 8 weeks, sooner than the normal interval of 12 weeks. Depending on the results, it might require a biopsy of the lymph node. (That probably is a painful and difficult procedure, requiring surgery.)

That's great news!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

Good news indeed.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The other day I had another CT scan of my abdomen & chest. The results continue to look good.

My lung tumor is stable, no increase or decrease in size. The various metastatic sites are fewer in number. And finally, there are no new sites :). The Super Catnip (aka Retevmo® or Selpercatinib) is working well.

The drug's side effects have become more clear to me: extremely dry skin, mouth, and nose lining, as well as overall weakness. Compared to advanced Stage IV lung cancer, I'll take it.

Next week, I see my oncologist again to hear his take on these CT results.

I was originally diagnosed in early November of last year. That's when I first had CT & MRI scans. I started taking Super Catnip in mid November. I had my first follow up CT & MRI scans in early February, and again (CT scan only, MRI was no longer needed) in early April. So, I've been taking Super Catnip for 4½ months, and my lung cancer is in check. Early on, I never expected anything this good.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The other day I had another CT scan of my abdomen & chest. The results continue to look good.

My lung tumor is stable, no increase or decrease in size. The various metastatic sites are fewer in number. And finally, there are no new sites :). The Super Catnip (aka Retevmo® or Selpercatinib) is working well.

The drug's side effects have become more clear to me: extremely dry skin, mouth, and nose lining, as well as overall weakness. Compared to advanced Stage IV lung cancer, I'll take it.

I was originally diagnosed in early November of last year. That's when I first had CT & MRI scans. I started taking Super Catnip in mid November. I had my first follow up CT & MRI scans in early February, and again (CT scan only, MRI was no longer needed) in early April. So, I've been taking Super Catnip for 4½ months, and my lung cancer is in check. Early on, I never expected anything this good.
Wonderful! Thank you for the update. I was getting curious.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

Glad you are getting good results! "Super Catnip" ha.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

That's AWESOME!!!! I have kept you in my prayers! Like @ryanosaur said I've been wondering how you've been. So glad to to hear the positive news and so happy for you!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Richard, I haven't logged on much latley, and I am just learning of this. It is so you to make this a learning moment... You are an inspiration, my friend. Keep kicking its a$$!!!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis