moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I only started with the 1500s as was shooting originally just for speaker use myself as well as it was more budget friendly at the time, if I did it later I might well have gone for the 2000 or 2500s.
Yea I may get a couple of 2002s.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
His AVR may have the needed EQ'ing however and he can use a highpass filter on the Crown if he goes for an LLT design (large, low tuned).
I Have a pioneer SC-27 as my AVR. I think I will be getting the UM18-22 X 2 in sealed 4 cf cabinets home made... I think for my first cab, it'll be easier to make the sealed cab sound good. I am not too sure how forgiving the ported cab is with error incorporated into the design but I heard that they are a lot more sensitive to build and a little bit off and it will affect the sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
His AVR may have the needed EQ'ing however and he can use a highpass filter on the Crown if he goes for an LLT design (large, low tuned).
They list the range as starting at 30hz for the filters in the Crown manual. The gen 1 actually listed in the manual specific frequencies unlike gen 2 manual, in the gen 1 the lowest is 50hz. Or you have some other info?

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
They list the range as starting at 30hz for the filters in the manual. The gen 1 actually listed in the manual specific frequencies unlike gen 2 manual, in the gen 1 it's 50hz. Or you have some other info?
The pioneer manual?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The pioneer manual?
No, the Crown XLS gen 1 and gen 2 manuals. I do wonder what your Pioneer can do for sub frequencies, Audyssey MultEQ (especially XT32) is pretty good, don't know about which version of MCACC you have....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
No, the Crown XLS gen 1 and gen 2 manuals. I do wonder what your Pioneer can do for sub frequencies, Audyssey MultEQ (especially XT32) is pretty good, don't know about which version of MCACC you have....
It has sub EQ but no sure how good it is.... I find the 5.0 EQ is pretty good.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
They list the range as starting at 30hz for the filters in the Crown manual. The gen 1 actually listed in the manual specific frequencies unlike gen 2 manual, in the gen 1 the lowest is 50hz. Or you have some other info?
But I can bypass the amp's EQ and use the minidsp no?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It has sub EQ but no sure how good it is.... I find the 5.0 EQ is pretty good.
MCACC has different versions, early versions didn't do anything below 31hz IIRC, later versions addressed that and go down to 20hz or so (? again IIRC)? Might be in the manual?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Ah okay... you are suggesting to buy from two different stores! I just assumed that you were talking about Solen.

Do you think the 1502 is enough headroom with the EQ running? I could get the 2002 if it would make a difference... What do you think? I am guessing it's not worth getting the Crown 2002 'cause the difference would not be noticeable.
Yes, the 1502 would be sufficient. Don't forget that you will be driving two subs sumultaneouly. You will have a total 3100 watts available to drive the 2 subs, more than adequate for the needs.

Do you have enough available AC circuits to drive them? Depending on how loud you will play them, they will draw quite a lot of power if you drive them close to their limit. You will probably need a separate 15 or 20 amp circuit to drive them.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Yes, the 1502 would be sufficient. Don't forget that you will be driving two subs sumultaneouly. You will have a total 3100 watts available to drive the 2 subs, more than adequate for the needs.

Do you have enough available AC circuits to drive them? Depending on how loud you will play them, they will draw quite a lot of power if you drive them close to their limit. You will probably need a separate 15 or 20 amp circuit to drive them.
Nope I do not believe I do. I will have to look into that one! I am guessing I need an electrician for that job. I don't play with electricity.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If it's possible, it would be safer to go with a 20 amp circuit. Otherwise, it all depends on the SPL levels, but there is a possibility that a 15 amp breaker might trip if you drive your subs really loud. As a matter of fact, having two 15 amp circuits, one for each amp, would be ideal.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'll have to check the manual, but it may not be there, that there is a filter at 20Hz that you can't adjust that is something like 6 or 12dB rolled off.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Nope I do not believe I do. I will have to look into that one! I am guessing I need an electrician for that job. I don't play with electricity.
Get him to quote both 15amp and 20amp circuits. It has been awhile, but IIRC, the added cost is not much for the parts and the labor is the same!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll have to check the manual, but it may not be there, that there is a filter at 20Hz that you can't adjust that is something like 6 or 12dB rolled off.
Yes I have corresponded with Crown about that, will dig up the emails and post.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It's a 6db @20Hz, I'm pretty sure. And yes that one is fixed. Let us know, thanks.

Hmm does this mean that you can adjust + or - 6 db at 20 Hz within the amp?

But if you have a miniDSP, we don't need these capabilities correct?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm does this mean that you can adjust + or - 6 db at 20 Hz within the amp?

But if you have a miniDSP, we don't need these capabilities correct?
Its built in on the crown, non adjustable. It's not an issue with your sealed sub. Have 2 crowns running 4 15s in 2 sealed boxes. The with the 6db roll off combined with the low end boost from the minidsp, works out nice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its built in on the crown, non adjustable. It's not an issue with your sealed sub. Have 2 crowns running 4 15s in 2 sealed boxes. The with the 6db roll off combined with the low end boost from the minidsp, works out nice.
Earlier he was thinking of a ported Marty Box needing the hpf....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Found the old email (3 years ago) from Kip at Crown Support, he indicated it's a roll off from slightly above 20hz at 12dB/octave. I've seen others contest this from their own measurements/use, but I don't have anything in the way of a link saved, think that was mostly from conversations on avsforum. Sure would love to see an AH analysis of the amp.

When I asked what might be a more suitable Crown amp for subs below 20hz they answered "An amp without any form of DSP in it, the XLi and CTs. Still with both of these amps at some point below 20Hz you will trigger the DC/LF circuit. That is typically below 10Hz for that to be triggered"

I looked a bit for more info on tests/measurements but couldn't locate anything but you might find this Sweetwater review of features helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis