moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
The 4 cf has an F3 of 27 Hz. You could get a lower f3 at 22 Hz in vented 9 cf box with the RSS460. The decision is yours.
Chris recommended the 7 CF box... would the 9 be that much better?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
The UM18 in the sealed 4 cf from Parts-Express will have an F3 at 27 Hz which can be EQ'd, or you could opt for the RSS460 in the vented box.
So does this mean that anything below 27 Hz will not sound good?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
F3 just means the -3dB point for the lower frequency response...

The Martys were designed with specific drivers in mind, don't believe the RSS is one of them (and the Stereo Integrity 18 is no longer available).

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I am thinking maybe a ported 7 cf cab as Solen recommended or the 9 cf if it is that much better.

The RSS460 for the driver

Mini DSP

Maybe the behringer 6000 with the DSP?

ORRRRR

The sealed 4 cf box for $250 CAD with the Um18-22.....

What amp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Also that's dosent take in to account room gain, which with filters/eq applied will get you in the mid teens no problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am thinking maybe a ported 7 cf cab as Solen recommended or the 9 cf if it is that much better.

Mini DSP

ORRRRR

What amp?
Well, you wouldn't need both the Behringer with DSP and the miniDSP....Behringer if you don't mind fan noise and want lowest cost. I wouldn't worry about the damping factor for the Crown.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Mini DSP

ORRRRR

What amp?
As for the amp, I would suggest:

For the RSS460, the Crown XLS 1502

For the UM18-22 in a sealed box, the Crown XLS 2002

For the UM18-22 in a vented box, the QSC 2422

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I am thinking either the 4 cf cabinet from parts express may be the way to go... all cut for me.... I've read in one of the questions on their site that the hole for the woofer doesn't come cut for you? Have you heard of this?

or I can cut the mdf myself. I've heard that sealed boxes aren't that fussy for errors in dimensions. The UM18 I think is the way to go..

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am thinking either the 4 cf cabinet from parts express may be the way to go... all cut for me.... I've read in one of the questions on their site that the hole for the woofer doesn't come cut for you? Have you heard of this?

or I can cut the mdf myself. I've heard that sealed boxes aren't that fussy for errors in dimensions. The UM18 I think is the way to go..
It is quite possible that the hole isn't made, as this cabinet can be used with a variety of subs with different basket dimensions.

If you plan to order the Parts-Express cabinet through Solen, which would be the cheapest route, Solen will be able to make it for you at reasonable cost.
Why not have them also install at the back a metal plate with terminal lugs.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It is quite possible that the hole isn't made, as this cabinet can be used with a variety of subs with different basket dimensions.

If you plan to order the Parts-Express cabinet through Solen, which would be the cheapest route, then should the hole for the subwoofer be absent, Solen will be able to make it for you at reasonable cost.
Yea I'll have to check... The crown 2002 you recommended in rated at 650watts X2 channels but the woofer is rated for 1000.... is that amp enough power to get low?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

The flatpack will come with the baffle cut for the driver (if you order from diysoundgroup.com check for the diameter for the particular driver), but not for whatever you use for wire terminal (I recommend Speakons). As long as you have the tools, don't mind the mdf dust, build your own box, much cheaper; I used baltic birch plywood myself. A router is nice for cutting the hole for the driver, but you could get away with a jig saw.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yea I'll have to check... The crown 2002 you recommended in rated at 650watts X2 channels but the woofer is rated for 1000.... is that amp enough power to get low?
When you bridge the 2 channels of the XLS 2002, it will output 2100 watts for your 4 ohm UM18-22 which is adequate enough.

Please read my previous post which I edited with an additional suggestion.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
The flatpack will come with the baffle cut for the driver (if you order from diysoundgroup.com check for the diameter for the particular driver), but not for whatever you use for wire terminal (I recommend Speakons). As long as you have the tools, don't mind the mdf dust, build your own box, much cheaper; I used baltic birch plywood myself. A router is nice for cutting the hole for the driver, but you could get away with a jig saw.

Yeaaa that's what I am thinking as well.... did you dado your joints?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
When you bridge the 2 channels of the XLS 2002, it will output 2100 watts for your 4 ohm UM18-22 which is adequate enough.

Please read my previous post which I edited with an additional suggestion.
Yea but I forgot to mention that I need 2 subs :)

Cool thanks I went back and read it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Has more to do with what you want to do spl-wise and for eq. Mine can take 1000 watts or so too but I'm happy with 500 or so on each but am not playing at reference levels these days either (each doubling of power is only a 3dB difference keep in mind)...but extra headroom/power for eq can be nice. I did run mine bridged at first, too.

No, the first sub was like my first wood working project (well second, made a little kitchen stand first), nor did I dado the next three :). Might for the next one, tho.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Should you decide to use baltic birch, you better have sharp tools as this stuff is really hard to work with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis