moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering... I know the Dual JTR Captivator 1400s ($4400 USD) are a larger and better sub but I am just wondering if it is that much better than dual HSU VTF15H MK2s. ($1749 USD) ???? That's a $2600 difference..... Plus I live in Canada so I'll be taking a hit.

Room = 13 feet wide X 35 length feet

picture of room: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15461321@N04/albums/72157696965700761 The back of the room willl not be used as a HT.... I may curtain it off behind the couch.

I

Imureh

Audioholic Intern
Just wondering... I know the Dual JTR Captivator 1400s ($4400 USD) are a larger and better sub but I am just wondering if it is that much better than dual HSU VTF15H MK2s. ($1749 USD) ???? That's a $2600 difference..... Plus I live in Canada so I'll be taking a hit.

picture of room: https://www.flickr.com/photos/15461321@N04/albums/72157696965700761 The back of the room willl not be used as a HT.... I may curtain it off behind the couch.
They are not in the same league as reflected in the price. Do what you can. HSU and PSA offer great value subs. For $4400 I would look at funk in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

All the import fees make both choices quite expensive. The Hsu VTF15h mk2 does scale nicely in price/performance in comparison to JTR, at least in burst testing, meaning that two VTF15h mk2s pretty much equals one Captivator 1400 and costs nearly the same. So one thing you can do is go with two VTF15h mk2s to start with, and then if you decide you want more output, just get another pair, because that is equal to two Captivator 1400s.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I knowwww but there is no way that I can get 2 funks for 4k CAD.... I am guessing the 2 HSUs would run about 3k after duty and conversion rates... maybe more like 3300 CAD. The dual JTRs would be something like 6500 CAD.

I am just not sure if the JTR for my room is worth the price... I am not sure if I would feel the difference... I would feel the difference if I cranked the JTR but who wants to listen to it when it's cranked in a room that I have. My room is big for residential but still.... I am thinking maybe the HSUs will fill the space nicely enough???? It's gatta.... I am trying to understand how the JTR would differ at normal listening levels with the HSU in my room size. If we are talking a room 3 times the size then yes, the JTR would outrightly win.

The funk is nice of course. It may be worth contacting them to see if they have anything cheaper.. Otherwise, they are way too expensive. I think the dual JTRs would be cheaper than the dual funks. Even if they are in Canada.

I

Imureh

Audioholic Intern
I knowwww but there is no way that I can get 2 funks for 4k CAD.... I am guessing the 2 HSUs would run about 3k after duty and conversion rates... maybe more like 3300 CAD. The dual JTRs would be something like 6500 CAD.

I am just not sure if the JTR for my room is worth the price... I am not sure if I would feel the difference... I would feel the difference if I cranked the JTR but who wants to listen to it when it's cranked in a room that I have. My room is big for residential but still.... I am thinking maybe the HSUs will fill the space nicely enough???? It's gatta.... I am trying to understand how the JTR would differ at normal listening levels with the HSU in my room size. If we are talking a room 3 times the size then yes, the JTR would outrightly win.

The funk is nice of course. It may be worth contacting them to see if they have anything cheaper.. Otherwise, they are way too expensive. I think the dual JTRs would be cheaper than the dual funks. Even if they are in Canada.
I would talk to Nathan to confirm. The JTR will have a lot more headroom than the HSU allowing them to play clean even at lower levels. They will dog deeper as well. I would agree though that the cost almost prohibitive for the JTR. I know a couple of folks that were able to get pretty decent pricing once they contacted Nathan Funk.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I would talk to Nathan to confirm. The JTR will have a lot more headroom than the HSU allowing them to play clean even at lower levels. They will dog deeper as well. I would agree though that the cost almost prohibitive for the JTR. I know a couple of folks that were able to get pretty decent pricing once they contacted Nathan Funk.

Maybe but the Funk site lists its cheapest slave and master pair for 7k US. ...... I think

I

Imureh

Audioholic Intern
Maybe but the Funk site lists its cheapest slave and master pair for 7k US. ...... I think
If I were you I would not spend the money on the Cap 1400 and I really wanted to step up in terms of performance I would go for the Cap 2400s.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am thinking maybe the HSUs will fill the space nicely enough???? It's gatta.... I am trying to understand how the JTR would differ at normal listening levels with the HSU in my room size.
The JTRs would not sound significantly different from the Hsu subs at normal listening levels. Their advantage is headroom.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
All the import fees make both choices quite expensive. The Hsu VTF15h mk2 does scale nicely in price/performance in comparison to JTR, at least in burst testing, meaning that two VTF15h mk2s pretty much equals one Captivator 1400 and costs nearly the same. So one thing you can do is go with two VTF15h mk2s to start with, and then if you decide you want more output, just get another pair, because that is equal to two Captivator 1400s.
plus the bass levels you'd get from dual VTF15h mk2s even in your large room would be insane.
I'd consider JTR only if you don't mind visiting a little workshop in Chicago suburb in person

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
plus the bass levels you'd get from dual VTF15h mk2s even in your large room would be insane.
I'd consider JTR only if you don't mind visiting a little workshop in Chicago suburb in person
Dual VTF15h mk2s would certainly be enough for most people. If you wanted to equal two Captivator 1400s, just get four VTF15h mk2s. That will match the burst output of Captivators and majorly exceed them in continuous output. Furthermore, if the four subs are spaced apart, that will probably yield a flattish response naturally, even without any EQing, which gives them a qualitative edge. Captivator 2400s, on the other hand, would have a very real advantage in deep bass extension though, and would not get outpaced as much in continuous output vs multiple VTF15 mk2s.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I emailed funk to see if he has anything that is not on the site for offer or at a lower price. I guess I could always start with 1 Funk.... but would have to wait to get a second. I am impatient. :p the Cap 2400s would be too much I am almost certain. Too much headroom that would never get used. Dual 1400s would be swell.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Why do you say you would only consider it if you could visit the warehouse... just so you're not buying blind? And totally agree that I would be very impressed with the HSUs. The only sub I've ever owned was the PSB subsonic 5i I think it was called.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Why do you say you would only consider it if you could visit the warehouse... just so you're not buying blind? And totally agree that I would be very impressed with the HSUs. The only sub I've ever owned was the PSB subsonic 5i I think it was called.
as in smuggle it to canada yourself, skipping the import dues.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
as in smuggle it to canada yourself, skipping the import dues.
Lol well they may say something about the two enormous boxes in the back of the Rav4..... If it would even fit... I would maybe even need a damn trailer to lug them back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Lol well they may say something about the two enormous boxes in the back of the Rav4..... If it would even fit... I would maybe even need a damn trailer to lug them back.
Got anything to declare? Nah, nothing at all. :) They'd fit in a RAV4?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Yea lol....... Another possibility would be to get just 1 Cap 2400ULF.....

The cost of 2 Cap 1400s would be close to 7k CAD... that's bananas...

What do you think? Would the bass suffer from only 1 2400 vs 2 HSUs or 2 1400s?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis