HSU ULS-15 MK2 vs SVS SB-3000

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
My 30+ year old M&K V2B has quit. It was great in the day, but that was a long time ago. I've narrowed my view to the HSU ULS-15 MK2 and SVS SB 3000, I'm set on non-ported.

My situation:
  • 12x10x8 room open on the south 12' to kitchen, then to living. Primary listening (40%) and viewing (60%) is ~9' from the north 12' (A/V and fronts are inset in a 2x9' extension.
  • M&K S1B x 4 (front/side)
  • M&K S2B (rear)
  • JAMO C10 (jury still out/sort of boomy)
  • Amp: Emotiva XPR gen2
  • Pre: Emotiva XMC-1 (XMC-2 coming soon)
I plan to move to a larger space in the next year and add a second sub, maybe a third. Probably a basement optimized for Music, HT and banging on my drums.

ULS-15 MK2 - I like the idea of a 15" sub, balanced connectors and flat response. The design is several years old, concerned it might be discontinued before I acquire additional subs. Will I notice the lower amp power of the ULS compared to the SB-3000 in a larger room (most everything is overkill in my current space)

SB-3000 - newer design, will be around awhile. I like the idea of an APP and digital controls. I'm a software guy and gadget lover, but I probably have all the controls in need in my PRE

Aesthetically I'm not in love with either, I'll be rocking the grill for a while thanks to young grandkids. When you add shipping and extended warranty to the HSU, price is about the same.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
My 30+ year old M&K V2B has quit. It was great in the day, but that was a long time ago. I've narrowed my view to the HSU ULS-15 MK2 and SVS SB 3000, I'm set on non-ported.

My situation:
  • 12x10x8 room open on the south 12' to kitchen, then to living. Primary listening (40%) and viewing (60%) is ~9' from the north 12' (A/V and fronts are inset in a 2x9' extension.
  • M&K S1B x 4 (front/side)
  • M&K S2B (rear)
  • JAMO C10 (jury still out/sort of boomy)
  • Amp: Emotiva XPR gen2
  • Pre: Emotiva XMC-1 (XMC-2 coming soon)
I plan to move to a larger space in the next year and add a second sub, maybe a third. Probably a basement optimized for Music, HT and banging on my drums.

ULS-15 MK2 - I like the idea of a 15" sub, balanced connectors and flat response. The design is several years old, concerned it might be discontinued before I acquire additional subs. Will I notice the lower amp power of the ULS compared to the SB-3000 in a larger room (most everything is overkill in my current space)

SB-3000 - newer design, will be around awhile. I like the idea of an APP and digital controls. I'm a software guy and gadget lover, but I probably have all the controls in need in my PRE

Aesthetically I'm not in love with either, I'll be rocking the grill for a while thanks to young grandkids. When you add shipping and extended warranty to the HSU, price is about the same.
Audioholics is publishing a review of the SB-3000 soon, so you will be able to compare them since they already have a review of the ULS-15 mk2 done using the same measuring techniques. Both are great subs. The SB-3000 is smaller and has a much more sophisticated amplifier, but it has an uphill battle in matching the headroom of the ULS-15 due to the smaller driver. If you are worried about the ULS-15 mk2 being discontinued, you don't need to be. The fundamental design is so good that it isn't going anywhere soon.

I think that if you are moving to a larger space wit the intention of watching movies, you should be considering the ported variants of these subs. These sealed subs do not produce deep bass on the level of their ported brothers, but the ported versions of both of the subs (the PB-3000, VTF-3 mk5, and VTF15h mk2) all support a sealed operating mode, so you can have a sealed sub in the meantime and switch to a ported sub when you need the deep bass headroom.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW you can't directly compare amp power without knowing the sensitivity of the systems involved....

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
Audioholics is publishing a review of the SB-3000 soon, so you will be able to compare them since they already have a review of the ULS-15 mk2 done using the same measuring techniques. Both are great subs. The SB-3000 is smaller and has a much more sophisticated amplifier, but it has an uphill battle in matching the headroom of the ULS-15 due to the smaller driver. If you are worried about the ULS-15 mk2 being discontinued, you don't need to be. The fundamental design is so good that it isn't going anywhere soon.

I think that if you are moving to a larger space wit the intention of watching movies, you should be considering the ported variants of these subs. These sealed subs do not produce deep bass on the level of their ported brothers, but the ported versions of both of the subs (the PB-3000, VTF-3 mk5, and VTF15h mk2) all support a sealed operating mode, so you can have a sealed sub in the meantime and switch to a ported sub when you need the deep bass headroom.
How Soon? You know what an addiction is like :)

What would you suggest if I just want to replace the V2B and start over in the new space?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How Soon? You know what an addiction is like :)

What would you suggest if I just want to replace the V2B and start over in the new space?
I don't know exactly when its going to be published, but I would guess a week or so. As for replacing your V2B, any of the above subs would be great choices. Hsu and SVS are solid brands, also look at Outlaw Audio, Monoprice Monolith, Paradigm defiance, in this price range.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Just a vote for the ULS-15 MK2 here. Yeah, it's not a looker (neither one is) but is nicer looking in real life than on the web (seriously, Hsu Research needs to revamp their website and product photos - though it does lend credence to their "no nonsense" approach). Sure, app control is nice a feature but I am lazy enough as it is! Anyway, it does everything I need it to and more (I have it set at less than 30% volume) and sounds great.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking dual HSU VTF2 mk5 would work well if you put them in 1 port mode. That would get you into dual cheaper and quicker. :)

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Anyone here with experience regret getting a downward firing sub like the Outlaw? I ask this more in regards to the iconvenience of plugging or unplugging ports that face the floor. Tipping a sub over all the time to do that would seem like a drag. Doing this to an Hsu is a no-brainer.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve found little desire to play with my x-13s. I’ve tried them in sealed and extended... keep them in extended.
Moving or ‘walking’ the sub by myself isn’t too bad. Tipping it is easy... just use caution to not scratch the finish!
Otherwise, I personally like down-firing subs, and on sale at 1K shipped, I think it becomes a great option.

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
As always more research more options, but I have to ask... love that Rythmik L22. A bit tall but otherwise compact. According to Enrique and more research real close to the F15 HP in output for 2/3 the cost. I could fit two of those in my tiny space. Anyone audition one of these. Fair comparison to the ULS-15 mk2?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would expect the ULS15 to be better in mid bass output than the L22 though.

I do like the look of the dual drivers stacked. I drool over the idea of the Monolith M-215 double 15in. :)

Last edited:
P

PEspo

Enthusiast
My thinking is simple. In my small space I can replace my speaker stands and stack my S1Bs on top. (WAF is high - check) When I move to a larger space, I can use S1B/L22 as a tower, using the speaker interface. Keep my fronts set to small, crossover at 40hz-ish and add 2 large vented subs for depth. So the L22 are more of an aesthetic and space decision today, then become a mid down the road, help out my S1Bs and set me up for another pair of big vented subs - gotta go 18 then right :).

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
Great review shadyJ. The SB3000 sounds like what I was looking for as an interim solution, real decent and compact. Back to my first question how do you compare the ULS-15 Mk2 vs SB-3000... seems real close

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Audioholics has the measurements of each on their site. The Hsu uls 15 has greater cea 2010 numbers all around. The Sb3000 doesn’t begin to catch up till 63-125 hz but going by their published measurements The uls15 is a better performer.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Audioholics has the measurements of each on their site. The Hsu uls 15 has greater cea 2010 numbers all around. The Sb3000 doesn’t begin to catch up till 63-125 hz but going by their published measurements The uls15 is a better performer.
Down low for sure. If using a higher crossover, the SVS would be my choice. I run well over 80hz in my theater setup. My stereo setup is undecided yet lol.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Down low for sure. If using a higher crossover, the SVS would be my choice. I run well over 80hz in my theater setup. My stereo setup is undecided yet lol.
Both subs have similar upper bass extension, they both have a flat response out to 200 Hz.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Both subs have similar upper bass extension, they both have a flat response out to 200 Hz.
Thanks, for some reason i was thinking it rolled off in the mid 100s, not sure why i did.

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
My heads hurts.... trying to fit into my current small space and being ready for a much larger space in the future (home for sale) is nearly impossible. So I’m going a different way.

Just ordered an Outlaw X-12.($499 delivered) It should be close to my V2B maybe a step up and I get to try a ported sub. When I get to new space I’ll start over with something I really want like a pair of ported 15’s w/1000+ rms and a bigger budget.

Thanks for the input. ill Let you know how the X-12 works out and will definitely be back with my next project,

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
My heads hurts.... trying to fit into my current small space and being ready for a much larger space in the future (home for sale) is nearly impossible. So I’m going a different way.

Just ordered an Outlaw X-12.($499 delivered) It should be close to my V2B maybe a step up and I get to try a ported sub. When I get to new space I’ll start over with something I really want like a pair of ported 15’s w/1000+ rms and a bigger budget.

Thanks for the input. ill Let you know how the X-12 works out and will definitely be back with my next project,
I own this sub and it's fantastic. Currently using it in my music only system but will be adding it back to my HT. It's a best in my opinion.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis