HSU ULS-15 MK2 vs SVS SB-3000

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My heads hurts.... trying to fit into my current small space and being ready for a much larger space in the future (home for sale) is nearly impossible. So I’m going a different way.

Just ordered an Outlaw X-12.($499 delivered) It should be close to my V2B maybe a step up and I get to try a ported sub. When I get to new space I’ll start over with something I really want like a pair of ported 15’s w/1000+ rms and a bigger budget.

Thanks for the input. ill Let you know how the X-12 works out and will definitely be back with my next project,
That's a great price and it looks like a solid sub for a small to medium sized room.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I believe Outlaw transfers the warranty and since you are getting it on sale you should not lose too much when you sell it. However, you might decide to buy a second X12 after you move!

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
X-12 is a definite improvement over my MK V2B for both music and HT. IT a bit more grandchild-proof which is an added bonus. Down-firing in my small space seems to be a value-add too. Running at >80hz, I'm not detecting localization. Overall solid decision, at least for now.

Of course now I'm thinking maybe I'll just use my MK S1Bs for side and back channels, and invest in a nice set of towers when I get to larger space... I thought I kicked the habit. I guess not!

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
Resurrecting my old thread. Finally moved and got my new space; time for subs!

Unfortunately the downsize didn’t result in a dedicated space as I hoped. I landed half of an L shaped basement. My space is 10x22x6’9”open to 16x16 ( sort of an L). Seating is 11’ back with the remaining 11’ behind. The equipment area is in a bit of an outcove, the forward 6x10 of my space.

In some regards I’m back in a tiny area except its open behind and to the left. I’ll upload the floor plan from the GIK visualizer in a bit.

My LCR and rears sound good, a few acoustic panels and Dirac should dial that in, but that Outlaw X-12 integrates well but lacks slam.

Question is do I add one maybe 2 more Ultra X-12 or start over. The economics with X-12 make it an affordable gamble, especially if I wait until Black Friday or go to the used market. Also figured If I’m not thrilled we’ve already gotten used to multiple subs in view.

Two key factors remain WAF and size. Crammed across 10’ a front pair get tight but hanging my 85” QLED with a low ceiling height means a sub no more than 25” tall. Big ported boxes will reduce WAF....

I'm considering something like a Rythmik FV15HP or F18 (sealed smaller) or PSA TV1512. Going this path means buying one now another later. Also I know I’m comparing sealed and ported but reckon the larger driver brings some slam to the party.

I’m a bit all over the place, please help me focus!Oakside Basement.jpg

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Resurrecting my old thread. Finally moved and got my new space; time for subs!

Unfortunately the downsize didn’t result in a dedicated space as I hoped. I landed half of an L shaped basement. My space is 10x22x6’9”open to 16x16 ( sort of an L). Seating is 11’ back with the remaining 11’ behind. The equipment area is in a bit of an outcove, the forward 6x10 of my space.

In some regards I’m back in a tiny area except its open behind and to the left. I’ll upload the floor plan from the GIK visualizer in a bit.

My LCR and rears sound good, a few acoustic panels and Dirac should dial that in, but that Outlaw X-12 integrates well but lacks slam.

Question is do I add one maybe 2 more Ultra X-12 or start over. The economics with X-12 make it an affordable gamble, especially if I wait until Black Friday or go to the used market. Also figured If I’m not thrilled we’ve already gotten used to multiple subs in view.

Two key factors remain WAF and size. Crammed across 10’ a front pair get tight but hanging my 85” QLED with a low ceiling height means a sub no more than 25” tall. Big ported boxes will reduce WAF....

Im considering something like a Rythmik FV15HP or F18 (sealed smaller) or PSA TV1512. Going this path means buying one now another later. Also I know I’m comparing sealed and ported but reckon the larger driver brings some slam to the party.

I’m a bit all over the place, please help me focus!
Stay ported. Especially in the basement with all that concrete.
Also, is there a reason you keep them on the front wall? You may find better performing locations getting them away from there.

R

reggieburris

Enthusiast
I upgraded by Dual PB-2000s in my basement to PB-3000’s and move the PB-3000s to my family room to replace my Dual Hsu ULS-MK2s. I upgraded my Dual SB-3000s (that were in my bedroom) to Dual PB-4000s and moved my PB-4000s to the basement. I moved my Dual Hsu ULS-MK2s in my bedroom. The Hsu hit hard and have exquisite and deep bass. They shook my family room and now my master bedroom with deep bass. The SB-3000s, although more costly cannot go toe to toe with the Hsu’s, although they are great subs and if you consider space they are better along with the app that works with IOS and Android, but for sound and authority they are trumped by the Hsu. Adding my two cents to the original post.

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
I went with a pair of Rythmik FV15HP... should arrive Friday. Can't wait!

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
Some serious subwoofage! Can't wait to hear your impressions.
Yeah me too! :):):)

Expecting a difficult time finding the right placement and config. Been playing with the old sub a REW getting ready

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Try the Sub Crawl. It is crude, but you can learn a lot about your room. :D It will also help you train your ears to listen better. ;)

P

PEspo

Enthusiast
Try the Sub Crawl. It is crude, but you can learn a lot about your room. :D It will also help you train your ears to listen better. ;)
Crawling is out at the moment, still rehabbing a shoulder replacement (knees ain’t so great either :). I also don’t trust my own hearing (damaged by an 18” bass bin decades ago). Can I do the crawl with an SPL meter and son-in-law :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Crawling is out at the moment, still rehabbing a shoulder replacement (knees ain’t so great either :). I also don’t trust my own hearing (damaged by an 18” bass bin decades ago). Can I do the crawl with an SPL meter and son-in-law :)
SPL Meters can be unreliable down low... besides, they also don't detect Muddy or Boomy Bass. The Son In Law might be useful, though.

What helped me when I did it was using Music, and moving in and out of a corner. My corner amplified but was also Muddy. Sounded wretched. Once I caught on to that, the rest of the room went pretty quick, including finding a spot with a real bad null on the back wall.
I wanna say it took me an hour the first time I did it, in my 11x15' room.

Also make certain all other speakers are off... you only want one Sub playing in your LP. ;)

C

Crow82

Audiophyte
I maybe late to this but I had both the sb 3000 and uls 15 mk2. I had to return the sb 3000 twice because of rattles. I then purchased the uls 15mk2. In my option the uls mk2 has much more output deep and in midbass compared to the sb 3000. I have a large room of 3200 cubic feet. I set the uls mk2 in eq 2 and fills the room very well with strong output. I also had the monolith thx 15 which had tons of low end output but the midbass was lacking and prefer the uls mk2

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis