How much is your main home audio system worth?

How much is your main home audio system worth? - Everyone should take part in this poll..

• < $1,000

Votes: 44 6.9%
  • $1,000 - $2,000

Votes: 58 9.1%
  • $2,000 - $3,000

Votes: 71 11.1%
  • $3,000 - $4,000

Votes: 59 9.3%
  • $4,000 - $5,000

Votes: 59 9.3%
  • $5,000 - $7,000

Votes: 85 13.3%
  • $7,000 - $9,000

Votes: 68 10.7%
  • $9,000 - $12,000+

Votes: 193 30.3%

• Total voters
R

Rycher

Main Home Theater system

KRELL Showcase Pre/pro - $4500.00

DENON DVD-2900 DVD/SACD - $1000.00

(2) DENON POA-S10 mono amplifiers (not available in U.S.) - $$2000.00 ea ($4000.00)

(1) DENON POA-8300 3 channel amplifier for center and rear - $1500.00

Monster Cable HTS-5100 power conditioner - $800.00

TIVO - $200.00

CARVER AL-III ribbon speakers for main - $3500.00

B&W CD1-NT surround - $2000.00

Boston Acoustics VR-12 center speaker - $600.00

M&K MX125 subwoofer (not shown in picture, sits behind sofa) - 1200.00

Monster Cable M-series cables all around - approx. $1500.00

Monster Cable Z-series speaker cables

AMX touch panel remote system - $8000.00

Mitsubishi WS-65819 HD projection T.V. - $4500.00

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Want to share

Hey Rycher care to share the wealth? :D Or how about the scraps ;)

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Here is mine...the poor man's HT!

Here is my system....hope you like it:

The LIST with pricing:

TV: SONY 32" (FREE)
Reciever: Kenwood KR-V8080 ($199)
SAT: Hughes Direct TV TiVo (FREE)
VCR: SONY SLV-M20HF ($150)
CD/Music: MAC *3 DT ($175)
Game: PS2 ($132) Atari 7800 (FREE)
EQ: DOD 31 Band R-321 (FREE)
DVD: Yamakawa DVD-218 ($53)
Tape: JVC TD-W106 (FREE)
AMP 1: Yamaha M-45 (FREE)
AMP 2: Yamaha M-85 (FREE)
Front Speakers: Vandersteen Model 1 (FREE)
Rear Speakers: DIY Infinity SL ($50)
Center Speaker: Yet to be made
Sub: 2 10" Passive MTX in an Isobaric Chamber ($150)

Total:$759 not too bad...total "retail" cost about 2 to 3 grand

burningrooster

Audiophyte
Well my system started out as collected scraps over the years from my dad and step-father

Luxman L410 amp (from dad) with a pair of Cerwin Vega HED speakers w/12.5 subs (from step dad) this was my first true stereo. Had an old sony amp from the late eighties and some cheapo speakers from a yard sale before that. However i should mention that my step-father still uses the old sony in his cabinet shop, which gets used daily for at least 12 hours.

The home theatre started when the Cerwin's went and well needless to say the stereo system has been a great journey, a credit hog and a pain to my wife ever since :D

I started by replacing the cerwin with a pair of energy C7's retail for about
$1200Can paid 950+tax

Bought a pair of energy C1's for $300 retailed for $400 at the time

I used these with the luxman for about 4 months until i came across a RXV-2300 new in the box for $999 and talked the guy down to $799 +tax

Used the luxman to power a bass cannon from a car (not the best solution but given the fact i blew the budget on the amp it will have to do for now)

Found a Technics centre channel for 59 bucks on an open box deal

Had a sony ncp-600 5 disc DVD player $349 (junk went in year and half) replaced it with a panasonic F-65 5 disc $169

Currently use a JVC I-ART 27' flat screen for the video $799 - wish i had of wated on that one could have bought a 32' for the same price but oh well.

Sony PS2 and N64

I love the system as it is but as with all things it is a work in progress. I am holding out for the energy centre chanel speaker and matching sub. should have most of current equipment paid off by christmas...so mabe i'll just have to buy myself something nice then :rolleyes: In the next year or so the T.V will be going into the bedroom and i will most likely replace it with a front screen projection. The rear C1's will go into a formal living room with the luxman when we move into our home next year and well I will most likely use that as an excuse to buy the C9's for the front and move the C7's to the back HEHE.

M

mickster1972

Audiophyte
System poll: My system

My system:

Onkyo TX-NR900 Receiver
Onkyo DV-CP802 Universal Player
Samsung HDTV Tuner (and TERK antenna)
Mitsubishi 55" Widescreen RPTV (Model 55411)
Various Monster Cable/Blue Jeans cables
Monster Power MP HTS 1000 MkII
Infinity Alpha 40/37c/25es/1200s speakers
Dishnetwork receiver PVR 502

T

theprodigalson

i can't believe all ye fine a/v enthusiasts let this jackass have the last word in this discussion....shame onto you people. Dude, whoever the hell you are, you suck. you are like some ******* moral police of the world. you sound like a preacher in some insane cult. know what dufus? sometimes, people don't care. i am gonna be PRETTY old by the time I own a house. I'm only 19 now. And if "owning a subwoofer" is a luxury(???) that only homeowners enjoy, i will step right off your path so you can go jump off the cliff and crash into some rusted, heated, molten aluminium shards that will take the coroner atleast 65 hours to get out of your balls.

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
I think the post was purposly left there to display the ignorance of the poster. Responding to posts like that is exactly what the poster desired as they are the type that likes to "push buttons" so to speak. Ignoring people like that probably bothers them more than anything else. He could have made his opinions known in a civilized manner but obviously he wasn't capable of doing so.

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
theprodigalson said:
i can't believe all ye fine a/v enthusiasts let this jackass have the last word in this discussion....shame onto you people. Dude, whoever the hell you are, you suck. you are like some ******* moral police of the world. you sound like a preacher in some insane cult. know what dufus? sometimes, people don't care. i am gonna be PRETTY old by the time I own a house. I'm only 19 now. And if "owning a subwoofer" is a luxury(???) that only homeowners enjoy, i will step right off your path so you can go jump off the cliff and crash into some rusted, heated, molten aluminium shards that will take the coroner atleast 65 hours to get out of your balls.

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Actually, I see...

...his(or her) point...

If you live in an apartment(a decent one at least), a blaring, sub-equipped stereo is rude to the other tenants...and I believe that is what the poster said, or tried to...

The second point is misplaced priorities...I'm sorry, a roof over my head is more important than listening to music IMHO...most folks seem to live hand to mouth, got a big, shiny, useless SUV, the latest cell-phone with the latest ring-tones, a five-digit debt and think nothing of droppin' a five-spot(or better) on a cup of friggin' coffee...but don't have a pot to p!$$ in...

jimHJJ(...just another POV...)

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
Resident Loser said:
...his(or her) point...

If you live in an apartment(a decent one at least), a blaring, sub-equipped stereo is rude to the other tenants...and I believe that is what the poster said, or tried to...
That's only common sense. Any overly loud noise under those conditions is unacceptable.

The second point is misplaced priorities...I'm sorry, a roof over my head is more important than listening to music IMHO...most folks seem to live hand to mouth, got a big, shiny, useless SUV, the latest cell-phone with the latest ring-tones, a five-digit debt and think nothing of droppin' a five-spot(or better) on a cup of friggin' coffee...but don't have a pot to p!$$ in...

jimHJJ(...just another POV...)

Sure many people live "over their heads" but I haven't seen too many "street people" with $20K plus Audio systems set up in the cardboard boxes that they sleep in have you? If so tell me where 'cause I'd like to see that for mysef!!

Thing is, it seems as if it bothers some people that there are others who can actually afford things like high priced sound systems and they can't. That's what I think is coming through here.

I agree though that if you want to reproduce A/V at high SPL's you should live in a detached single family dwelling. If not then have consideration for your neighbours.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
This is a pretty silly sentence...

"...I haven't seen too many "street people" with $20K plus Audio systems set up in the cardboard boxes that they sleep in have you?..."

Dontcha' think?...I didn't think "street people" were the subject matter...misplaced priorities, in light of the thread's content, was...However, since the possibilty was addressed, in beautiful, downtown NYC, there are more than a few folks who have $200 sneakers, a cell-phone and an ear(or nose)full of gold who are on the dole, whose children have a Coke and a bag of chips for breakfast...maybe...priorities...

I don't think it's too early for folks like our 19 year old friend to come to grips with reality...some day, someone's gonna' "cut the cord" and free-fall isn't all it's cracked up to be.

While I agree there are those who are "jealous" and take every chance to criticize others spending habits, there are others who simply provide the much-needed shock of a "wake-up call" to those who may have the cash(or think they do or ACT like they do) but have little or no common sense...

And then, of course, we are all wage slaves to one degree or another...it all depends on your degree of participation...

jimHJJ(...and so it goes...)

Last edited:
Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
Why does this "kid in the apartment with a subwoofer" bother you so much? You must have had a real bad experience with one.

As far as the topic how much is your system worth? I'll agree it may have been better had they asked what does your system consist of ? as this might relate to posted opinions concerning recorded sound quality. People are only responding to the question posted so if it bothers you so much, maybe you should ask the thread starter what was the reasoning behind the "value of system" question in the first place.

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
There must be some kind of chip on your soldier. I for one think anybody has the right to have pride in what they own, and even show it off if they want to. I'm pretty sure you wrote your thread just to start an argument, but I'm bored so what the hell. You or I really have no business telling other people what to spend their money on, and this is definitely the wrong place give advice on priorities considering this hobby is not essential to our lives, but let's put some questions to you. If you really own the home theater system you claim to:
Is your mortgage and your automobile paid off?
If you have children, is their college paid for?
Is your retirement taken care of?
Unless you answered yes to all of these questions, then by your way of thinking you have no more business owning an audio system than some 20 year old living in an apartment. I just bought my first home at 23, and I don't see my spending a couple grand on electronics having made it much more difficult for me. I think most of these guys have the sense to buy groceries before they buy speakers. As for your idea of what a home theater should consist of, I'd imagine there's plenty of people on this site who could sit down in front of yours and find it mediocre at best. So jump off your horse and be thankful for what you own, and lay off the college kids.

Khorn

Khorn

Audioholic Intern
There seems to be an overabundance of "thread Hijackers" on this web site. Maybe it's because they get the quick boot if they try the same on other forums.

IMHO we should get back to the intended purpose of these forums, A/V.

The stated reason for this particular thread is:

From time to time we may present these polls in order to get a better idea of our demographic and enable us to present more relevant information to you in an effort to improve our website.
If it's not too much trouble could somebody please explain exactly what this particular pole accomplishes other than ad support considerations?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Since our self-proclaimed responsible adult seems to have a rather large bee in his/her bonnet about irresposible HT-owning youth I have excercised my adult judgement and deleted his/her posts.

While the points about courtesy were well taken, the overall intemperate tone strongly suggests either trolling or some social maladjustment.

I spent quite a bit of money foolishly in my youth on my stereo (as we called them then) and other things. From time to time I still do, though I am held in check by the raised eyebrow of Mrs. Van Woofer. We mortals often learn by our mistakes. Fiscal probity at an early age is a fine thing but one needn't be smug about it.

And besides, you can get good sound even on a Wal-Mart employee's budget with some careful shopping and knowledge. That, it seems, is part of the raison d'etre of Audioholics.

Now, let's all play nice.

Last edited:
M

Markus

Enthusiast
I am new to the forum and have read alot of useful info so far, I figured the best way to jump in was to let you guys know what I am working with that way you can know if I need help in the future. All prices are in Canadian Funds and reflect MSRP. after the / will be what I ended up paying for each component.

Sony KF60WE610 HDTV = $5999.99 / $4999.99
Sony SU-GW1 Stand = $999.99 / $399.99
Scientific Atlanta 8000HD = $699.99 / $599.99
JVC DVD Player = $229.99 / $199.99
Yamaha RX-Z9 Receiver = $5999.99 / $5000.00
Monster AVS2000 = $2499.99 / $1499.99
Def Tech BP7000sc Towers= $6999.99 / $5200.00
Def Tech CLR3000 Center = $1499.99 / $1200.00
Def Tech BPVX/P Rears = $1999.99 / $1600.00
Velodyne CHT-15 x2 = $2298.98 / $1799.98
Philips iPronto Remote = $2499.99 / $1700.00
Xbox - HD Pack & Live = $329.99 / $329.99
Center Wall mount&Stands= $250.00 / $250.00
Leather Seating = $5000.00 / $5000.00
Monster THX Ultra Wires = $1500.00 / $500.00

Grand Total MSRP = $38,808.87
Price Actually Paid = $30,279.92

Total Saved = $8528.95

I think I did well, and I couldn't be happier with the PQ and Sound... Now you now how I started out, hopefully we will become closer friends because I still have lots to learn.

Markus...

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Functional and Stylish

What about A/v furniture...where does that factor in... my rack cost more than my sub...

U

Unregistered

Main System

Moth RB-250 tonearm, Origin Live counterweight, Incognito wiring $450
NAD 533 turntable, acrylic platter, Rega P25 motor,
Nonefelt mat $750
Shelter 501 II cartridge $850
Verion Mk1 stepup transformer $350
Dynaco PAS-4 preamp $450
Odyssey Xtreme monoblock amplifiers $2500
Pioneer DV-45A DVD with Modwright mods $700
Pioneer CLD-D604 LD player $450
Nakamichi CR-1A cassette deck $300
Marchand XM-9 crossover $500
Audiocontrol Bijou equalizer $500
Velodyne HGS-10 subwoofers (2) $1700
Joseph RM33Si speakers $4500
Cables Cableplex, Monster, Audioquest, custom RG6 coax, AR, Transparent $800
RCA VR721HF VCR SVHS $200
JVC 27" monitor $450

Nearly all of this was acquired on eBay or Audiogon at huge discounts. The best system in Gray, GA, I'll bet!

C

Colonel_Tomb

Audioholic Intern
Here's mine. All prices are what I actually paid (minus taxes), and I got a discount on everything. Take note that I really don't have a TV to speak of -- it's just a 27-inch Sony from seven years ago. I still include the VCR because it was a good piece back in the day.

Adcom GTP-880 A/V preamp, $2,160
Adcom GFA-7605S five-channel amplifier, $990

DVD-2900 universal DVD player, $875
Denon DCM-380 CD changer, $270
Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, $570

B&W 703 main speakers, $2,585
B&W CM C center-channel speaker, $485
B&W 705 surround speakers, $1,335
B&W ASW700 subwoofer, $1,155

Sony KV-27S22 television, $500
Yamaha YV-810 VCR, $700

Cobalt and Monster interconnects and speaker cables, ~$1,200