HiFi System Questions/ Buying Advice -- Music Only

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Wait! I just read through this thread. How did you get the BMR's in 6 days!!!???
Because I got the standard speaker cabinet in Cherry. From what someone else said, if I were to get the custom cabinets it could have taken 6 months and I don't have that kind of patients.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
Still, Dennis must have a few lying around cause that's more efficient than when I bought speakers from him. Did you pick them up or were they delivered via FedEx?

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Still, Dennis must have a few lying around cause that's more efficient than when I bought speakers from him. Did you pick them up or were they delivered via FedEx?
FedEx. If recall correctly, I ordered on Thursday/ Friday with the bi-wiring configuration. He shipped them out on Monday and they arrived in Louisiana on Thursday.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hopefully I don't get FIRE TRAPPED tonight!
Platoon one of the all time greatest movies ever!. Back in the 80's my 1st born Son and I took a little walk to the corner store didn't see the movie in a theater had heard from friends how good it was so I rented it in VHS tape. Back than there wasn't any surround it was played in my top load VHS deck, two channel stereo with both A/B on, 4 speaker's anyways Thanks for posting up the photo of a well Direct well written well-acted movie. If I remember right it won 4 Oscars.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes, that was a factor in the decision making even though I'll probably be the only one doing the critical listening. See the results for both the speakers below that Dennis was nice enough to test :). The tipping point for me on buying the BMRs was I called old teacher who is a grammy award winning recording engineer and he told me they were "stellar" speakers. So if he says their good, every one here says their good, they must be good!

Lastly, one thing I took away from this thread was electronics. I think it was Phil that said, "By FAR the largest contributor to sound quality, think over 90%, is the speakers (if your source material is good). (Rest 9% is room acoustics issues and 1% electronics)" - I definitely think I've been placing a little too much of an emphasis on this after having originally owned a low end Dennon that made a little hiss all the time.

PS the speakers come in on Thursday so I'll leave an update after I've had some serious listening time with them.
Late to the party here. I have a pair of Salk Song3As...if I'm not mistaken DM did the crossover work on this speaker and I think the BMR shares the same RAAL tweeter.

The only thing I will say...these guys really care about music and strive for transparency in their design.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Platoon one of the all time greatest movies ever!. Back in the 80's my 1st born Son and I took a little walk to the corner store didn't see the movie in a theater had heard from friends how good it was so I rented it in VHS tape. Back than there wasn't any surround it was played in my top load VHS deck, two channel stereo with both A/B on, 4 speaker's anyways Thanks for posting up the photo of a well Direct well written well-acted movie. If I remember right it won 4 Oscars.
Ya great movie! It was make about 15 years before I was born and this was my first time seeing it. It was awesome and a very big cast. :)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Ya great movie! It was make about 15 years before I was born and this was my first time seeing it. It was awesome and a very big cast. :)
Movie has some of the best one liners. Budget was something like 9 million dollars I think? Lot of money back then.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I still don't have any inventory of BMR's (though I might have a bajillion of them in 2-3 months), but I do have someone building them for me. That frees me up to do the AA monitors.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I still don't have any inventory of BMR's (though I might have a bajillion of them in 2-3 months), but I do have someone building them for me. That frees me up to do the AA monitors.
If you have a Bajillion of them at $1350 each, that means you will have 1350 bajillion dollars in inventory and you have to be strapped for cash! You must be in crisis mode!
Because you're my pal, I'm gonna help you out with my business acumen!
It is not pretty, but you're going to have to take immediate and dramatic measures:
You're gonna have to cut the price dramatically in order to recoup at least a fraction of your losses and reduce the inventory carrying costs.
$250/pair ought to put a dent in that inventory, but you are still going to be in a world of hurt!
Sucks for you!!!
In the mean time, since you're my special friend, I'll take 20 pairs to give my family and friends!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
If you have a Bajillion of them at $1350 each, that means you will have 1350 bajillion dollars in inventory and you have to be strapped for cash! You must be in crisis mode!
Because you're my pal, I'm gonna help you out with my business acumen!
It is not pretty, but you're going to have to take immediate and dramatic measures:
You're gonna have to cut the price dramatically in order to recoup at least a fraction of your losses and reduce the inventory carrying costs.
$250/pair ought to put a dent in that inventory, but you are still going to be in a world of hurt!
Sucks for you!!!
In the mean time, since you're my special friend, I'll take 20 pairs to give my family and friends!
Actually, I was planning on paying people to buy them in return for placing an inconspicuous sign on their front lawn. I think it's time to combine loudspeaker and aluminum siding business models. I'll be RICH.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Actually, I was planning on paying people to buy them in return for placing an inconspicuous sign on their front lawn. I think it's time to combine loudspeaker and aluminum siding business models. I'll be RICH.
So YOU are the guy who keeps robocalling me every day from spoofed phone numbers!!!

J

jh112

Enthusiast
So you figured out things with the new cabinet supplier ?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
So you figured out things with the new cabinet supplier ?
I think so. But only because I have a business partner who speaks Chinese. It's been quite an adventure. I've tried really hard to find a domestic supplier, but they tend to fall into two groups--high end custom furniture craftsmen who work with solid wood and specialize in entertainment centers, book shelves, or tables, and kitchen cabinet fabricators who don't have any experience with veneering or speaker cabinets in general. Even large companies like Parts Express have constant problems finding reliable suppliers for speaker cabinets.

J

jh112

Enthusiast
I think so. But only because I have a business partner who speaks Chinese. It's been quite an adventure. I've tried really hard to find a domestic supplier, but they tend to fall into two groups--high end custom furniture craftsmen who work with solid wood and specialize in entertainment centers, book shelves, or tables, and kitchen cabinet fabricators who don't have any experience with veneering or speaker cabinets in general. Even large companies like Parts Express have constant problems finding reliable suppliers for speaker cabinets.
Fantastic let us know when your new cabinets arrive would love to get one :).
Btw is it still the plan to get piano black cabinets or are ordering other veneers as well ..

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
So YOU are the guy who keeps robocalling me every day from spoofed phone numbers!!!
Nope--I still haven't figured out how
Fantastic let us know when your new cabinets arrive would love to get one :).
Btw is it still the plan to get piano black cabinets or are ordering other veneers as well ..
I think they will just be piano black. I do have a quote from a factory that can do both piano cherry and piano black in the same order, but I think it's just going to take too long to get up to speed with them.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
This morning I truly got a call from a spoofed number for home improvement services. The guy on the line, with a heavy Indian or Pakistani accent, said his name was Dennis.

:eek:

That's just an uncomfortable amount of coincidence.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds too good to be true ! I don't need siding yet, but after the wind storm last week I am considering new roof, would that work for you? If yes, do you accept pre-order now?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Any chance of bringing back the Phil2's or having an inexpensive cabinet option for the Phil3's?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Any chance of bringing back the Phil2's or having an inexpensive cabinet option for the Phil3's?
You're pretty good at conjuring up my worst nightmare. The logistical problems of storing and assembling 100 Phil 2's or 3's would shorten my life expectancy from 3 years down to 2 months.

J

jh112

Enthusiast
You're pretty good at conjuring up my worst nightmare. The logistical problems of storing and assembling 100 Phil 2's or 3's would shorten my life expectancy from 3 years down to 2 months.
Btw are the new cabinets for Philharmonitor bmr curved or rectangular ??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis