HiFi System Questions/ Buying Advice -- Music Only

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Oh, yeah, 30K Legacy speakers? :D

Still dreaming, huh? :D

Working overtime? :eek:

I used to work a lot of overtime about 22 years ago - whenever I wanted to buy new toys and I didn't want to feel so guilty. :D
I do spend most of my money on fast cars, cold brews, and hot women.:cool: Not necessarily in that order. There was a time if I had chose to buy a $20,000 pair of speakers I could have. See Hot women, should have posted 'fast women' instead. I was fast, they where faster. :oops:. I had Lots of fun though, some of it was money well spent. A word of advice from an retired oilfield man just don't marry a hooker.o_O. I married 3 of them.:D

PS. The real marriage first wife who I had two children with, was on the o_OTrashy Side'o_O. But She was a Catholic :confused: girl I was able to bring her over to meet my Mother. For some reason down here in the deep South, when a woman says You can? o_O She really means You all can:eek:. Something in the water I think?:D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I married 3 of them.:D
You must be insane - you know, doing the same thing and expecting different results. :(

Or is that more like buying 3 different components (AVR, Integrated Amp, and Pre-Pro) and expecting different results in Direct Mode and Volume Level Matched. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
You must be insane - you know, doing the same thing and expecting different results. :(

Or is that more like buying 3 different components (AVR, Integrated Amp, and Pre-Pro) and expecting different results in Direct Mode and Volume Level Matched. :D
Umm, not insane,:D lol:cool:. The one thing I can say 98% of the citizens of this great country of ours are on something. :confused:. Be it pharmaceutical drugs, illegal drugs have a high maintenance wife,or a 'Elton John' o_Olol. Huge bank account and so on from playing the stock market, banks, Fannie Mae, Ford, GM, that the tax payers are footing the bill for with so called Obama bailouts. That went all the way back to the Reagan Administration with his trickle down economics..:D was the best 'Actor' acting lmao, president ever in my book.:rolleyes: didn't he get his start in old Hollywood cowboy movies? :D But since You brought up one of my Character defects:p. Guess it's only Fair I pull up one of yours. :cool:. Takes one to know one!:p. And since when, You became Yoda:p. Now back to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. ADTG, if I don't see ya soon? Catch you on the Dark Side of the Moon if not there, Than Purgatory.;)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Umm, not insane,:D lol:cool:. The one thing I can say 98% of the citizens of this great country of ours are on something. :confused: Be it pharmaceutical drugs, illegal drugs have a high maintenance wife, huge bank account and so on. From playing the stock market, banks, Fannie Mae, Ford, GM, that the tax payers are footing the bill for with so called Obama bailouts. That went all the way back to the Reagan Administration was trickle down economics..:D But since You brought up one of my Character defects:p. Guess it's only Fair I pull up one of yours. :cool:. Takes one to know one!:p. And since when, You became Yoda:p. Now back to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon. ADTG, if I don't see ya soon? Catch you on the Dark Side of the Moon if not there, Than Purgatory.;)
Oh, I am most definitely crazy/insane. ;)

But so far my insanity seems to be exclusive to this Audio hobby.

Seems surreal that I once concurrently owned Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, and not 1, not 2, but 3 pairs of KEF 201/2! :eek:

Also speakers from ATC, TAD, Dynaudio, and Focal.

Or how about owning both a $5,500 Denon AVR-5308CI and $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI?

All of these were bought brand new, not used.

If that’s not the definition of insanity (acute or temporary) or just plain foolishness or stupidity (acute or temporary), I don’t know what is. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Oh, I am most definitely crazy/insane. ;)

But so far my insanity seems to be exclusive to this Audio hobby.

Seems surreal that I once concurrently owned Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, and not 1, not 2, but 3 pairs of KEF 201/2! :eek:

Also speakers from ATC, TAD, Dynaudio, and Focal.

Or how about owning both a $5,500 Denon AVR-5308CI and $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI?

All of these were bought brand new, not used.

If that’s not the definition of insanity (acute or temporary) or just plain foolishness or stupidity (acute or temporary), I don’t know what is. :D
Anyone who would tell anyone, anything about, why all the money spent on Your hobby, High maintenance 30 something on your own spouse:D. would be in vain. After all, ' good manners don't cost nothing' :). It's Your money, Your Hobbies! :cool:. Let me get my hands on that kind of money? with those kinds of resources? I Would have a Harlem full Hookers!:eek:. All making money for Me.:cool: I just had 3 of them they got all' Hoed' down from my oilfield buddy's :D. 3 hooker wife's don't last long in the oilfields ya know.:D. But I do believe they get retired at 62:D, and end up working at a Holiday Inn Suites or something I don't know.:D:D:D:cool:.

PS, since I did mention I married 3 hookers wife's it's only fair I should mention which one made the most money for me, the last one. :D Went by the name of 'Sully' and aka (Lil Red). Now from what I have been told she is just about retired from the front desk at a Holiday Inn Suites.;). But if you do run into Sully, In order to get a discount rate just say, Sully, rabbit :eek:, Trix are for kids. :D.

PSS, Checkout newest Avatar fellas! I just went pick-up two free coffees from my favorite ex hooker wife #3.:D . All I had to do was call a few Holiday Inn Suites and low and behold Lil Red pickup the call. :D. Told her I was dieing and she would be coming into a Load of Cummies..lmao.:D. Yep! I was right, they do retire at 62 and they do put an ole Hoed out hooker working at a Holiday Inn Express Suites!. Sully, 'Rabbit' for Trix!. she even had one of my ole oilfield bubbys sitting on the bench outside. Robert,:confused: better known as 'Canefield Bob':confused:.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
"Fire Trapped" lol... LOVE THE VERBIAGE!!! I think I'm gonna return the BMRs and just buy the 30k of Legacy speakers. JK :) BMRs are awesome. Heart warming. Haven't had had a chance to do an critical listening yet as I just em set up. In regards to the NAS thread I'm trying to find a workaround without paying for Tidal or buying a high-res streaming player because I have more digital music than CDs. + I like my playlists.

@TechHDS - just curious, why did you sell 801 Matrix series? Those look like some bad ass speakers. The name is Chris by the way.

Here's some pics of my setup:
@CB22, sorry for hijacking your thread. I started a Thread of Post up your favorite band, check it out. There you can talk about what's your favorite band, music or artist and the Source you like to listen to it on and gear. Smack talking and hijacking is highly recommended on that thread I started. Have a good Sunday Chris.

Mike

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Despite hookers, drugs and insanity if I knew anybody who "once concurrently owned Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, and not 1, not 2, but 3 pairs of KEF 201/2! :eek: " I would probably never upgrade anything again. For the rest of my life and always try to find an excuse to go to his house. Maybe that's what I need to do make friends with people who own really high end sound systems. Live through them. And never spending another dime on my hobby.

Now moving the conversation back to the BMRs. Here's my initial thoughts:

The RAAL 64 tweeters - A+
The mid range Tectonic Radiator - A+
Woofer - 7inch Scan Speak - B

The sound stage is amazing!
The I the detail/ clarity - super.
Tweeters don't over power the mids.
Jazz & Classical really really shines.

The woofer does in fact drop down to a low 34hz and it's a good woofer how every my only complaint was that the bass did not shine though as much as I had hoped. But it's a three way speakers and not a subwoofer, so who am I'm to complain. I know I can turn on the AnthemMusic setting the receiver will boost the bass a little bit but then the receiver is altering to source material. So I moved the BMRs into the other room and paired with with the HSU sealed sub. and holly poop. I think I've reached perfection. I've seen on another form here that some people don't like to had three way speakers and subs paired together buy I think my system sounds pretty damn great.

I feel like I got got a deal on these things. I think a pair of these BMRs could easily be sold at 2k for a standard set. I will be keeping these for a very very long time.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Don't know about living someone else's Journey with this hobby. Can say when I started this rabbit hole was at a very young age. At 16 years old got my first Stereo two channel with 4 speaker's and TT, cassette deck nice one and a small Real to Real. If I remember right was 45 watts X 2 into 8 Ohms. But the unit had A/B and Both. So you could run all four speaker's in two channel Stereo. At the time I spent just about every dime I made. on gear. Worked a Lot of OT for hotrod cars, and the girls where free. :D. Well back in them day's smoked a lot of reefer, :cool:, so hanging out at the drive inn theater with that mono speaker hanging on your driver side window, things got pretty foggy ;)after awhile with the windows up.:D. So winter time was some of the best time in my life. :)

'I gave a girl a ride in my wagon put her out in a small town you could throw a rock from end to end'
'Sammy Johns', ' Chevy Van.'. :cool:

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The woofer does in fact drop down to a low 34hz and it's a good woofer how every my only complaint was that the bass did not shine though as much as I had hoped. But it's a three way speakers and not a subwoofer, so who am I'm to complain. I know I can turn on the AnthemMusic setting the receiver will boost the bass a little bit but then the receiver is altering to source material. So I moved the BMRs into the other room and paired with with the HSU sealed sub. and holly poop. I think I've reached perfection. I've seen on another form here that some people don't like to had three way speakers and subs paired together buy I think my system sounds pretty damn great.

I feel like I got got a deal on these things. I think a pair of these BMRs could easily be sold at 2k for a standard set. I will be keeping these for a very very long time.
Well, see, you should have bought the Philharmonic 3's. I think the BMR's give you about as much bass as is possible in that cabinet, but for sub-like performance you would need something considerably bigger.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, see, you should have bought the Philharmonic 3's. I think the BMR's give you about as much bass as is possible in that cabinet, but for sub-like performance you would need something considerably bigger.
I think you should offer as an option to make the bass cabinet of the Phil3 completely separate- meaning the bass cab has no internal XO and has to be powered by another amp like a passive subwoofer. So each “modular” tower requires 2 amps - one for the top cabinet and 1 amp for bottom.

The main reason is to allow more control of the bass just like a real subwoofer.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I think you should offer as an option to make the bass cabinet of the Phil3 completely separate- meaning the bass cab has no internal XO and has to be powered by another amp like a passive subwoofer. So each “modular” tower requires 2 amps - one for the top cabinet and 1 amp for bottom.

The main reason is to allow more control of the bass just like a real subwoofer.
Anyone can bi-amp the current BMR's. If I just sold the bass box without a crossover, people would have to choose a mini dsp amp, and it would have to blend with the high pass filter on the midrange. That kind of arrangement hasn't proven very popular. it seems to make more sense to just bi-amp the 3's and use the existing crossovers, which are probably optimized better than could be accomplished by fiddling with a dsp on the bass box.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I would have loved to but unfortunately a bit out of my budget :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe that's what I need to do make friends with people who own really high end sound systems. Live through them.
Living vicariously doesn't quite give you the same satisfaction, though, does it? :D

Unless you are more gifted or smarter than most of us. :D

Sure would have save me a lot of money.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Living vicariously doesn't quite give you the same satisfaction, though, does it? :D

Unless you are more gifted or smarter than most of us. :D

Sure would have save me a lot of money.
Joking LOL. There's no feeling like unboxing and setting up a new item(s) into the system.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
So I may have come across my first problem with my Anthem receiver.

I'm getting a feedback loop on the zone 2 output.

Last night I turned on the receiver to do some listening. I though I heard a buzzing sound. So i put my ear close to the speaker (no music playing) and sure enough there was a little hissing sound. So I turned off all the lights/ fans (there on dimmers) + unplugged all the optical/HDMI/ RCA cables + the hissing was still there. Strange right? Then I unplugged the speakers wires on the Zone 2 and plugged them into the main channel L/R & the feedback loop went away and the speakers were totally silent with no music was playing. So I think somethings going on with the Zone 2 output. Might give Anthem a call if I can't figure this out.

Anyone else have problems with feedback loops in the past?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So I may have come across my first problem with my Anthem receiver.

I'm getting a feedback loop on the zone 2 output.

Last night I turned on the receiver to do some listening. I though I heard a buzzing sound. So i put my ear close to the speaker (no music playing) and sure enough there was a little hissing sound. So I turned off all the lights/ fans (there on dimmers) + unplugged all the optical/HDMI/ RCA cables + the hissing was still there. Strange right? Then I unplugged the speakers wires on the Zone 2 and plugged them into the main channel L/R & the feedback loop went away and the speakers were totally silent with no music was playing. So I think somethings going on with the Zone 2 output. Might give Anthem a call if I can't figure this out.

Anyone else have problems with feedback loops in the past?
I have speakers hooked up to Zone 2 of my Denon AVRs. Never heard any hissing sound from the main speakers (sensitivity 93dB/w/m).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have hissing with my avrs. Hissing does not equate to feedback in my mind either. Some amps have audible hissing....and if you can't hear it from your seat it doesn't matter much either. It would bug me a little bit perhaps that mains and zone aren't the same, tho.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
@ADTG, How sure are you OP, ordered speaker's? I didn't go over the whole Thread. From what I have read the male/ female seems to be at a lost somewhat. You and a few other's seem to be at a turn point of what the OP is really trying to convey in the thread. Maybe I'm missing something about the OP intentions of what the OP is looking to do with what OP has now? I just read a other thread or post on how he/she can't even figure out downing music files with his/hers IPHONE, PC. But yet can't figure on the use of an open file? am I missing something here? Nothing of the OP's post are making since, OP hasn't posted up anything as of photos of gear other than saying, those are, pretty, shot an email, that's my intentions, and so forth. I think you guys are being 'fire trapped' could be wrong. ADTG, check your fire, check your fire.;) Just looking out for ya man. It's a new profile opened a few months back about a dozen post and nothing else with no hard content.;)

Hopefully I don't get FIRE TRAPPED tonight!

Attachments

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
"Fire Trapped" lol... LOVE THE VERBIAGE!!! I think I'm gonna return the BMRs and just buy the 30k of Legacy speakers. JK :) BMRs are awesome. Heart warming. Haven't had had a chance to do an critical listening yet as I just em set up. In regards to the NAS thread I'm trying to find a workaround without paying for Tidal or buying a high-res streaming player because I have more digital music than CDs. + I like my playlists.

@TechHDS - just curious, why did you sell 801 Matrix series? Those look like some bad ass speakers. The name is Chris by the way.

Here's some pics of my setup:
Wait! I just read through this thread. How did you get the BMR's in 6 days!!!???

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis