Help with Dual Subs

K

Kaiser Roll

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-A880 receiver in a 7.2 set-up L/R, C, Surr.,Front Presence and two Definitive Tech Powered Subs connected to the receivers Sub 1 and Sub 2 LFE output. My question is I'm not sure if the Sub 2 is active when watching a movie in Surround. Or is the Sub 2 output only active when using a Zone 2 with separate speakers in that zone. When I run a test tone only one Sub shows on the graphic.
Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both sub outs are running as a single signal that is split into two outs. Sub 2 output should be active on any mode where subs are active.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you not hearing anything coming out of sub 2? (actually sometimes it's easier to just lightly touch the cone). Like shady says.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again to not be able to recognize a sub is actually on isn't necessarily a bad thing.....is sub 1's location and volume easily discerned?

K

Kaiser Roll

Audiophyte
Then again to not be able to recognize a sub is actually on isn't necessarily a bad thing.....is sub 1's location and volume easily discerned?
I definitely can tell that Sub 1 is active but I'm not always certain about Sub 2. I'll have to get down to eat level and feel the cone for activation.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I definitely can tell that Sub 1 is active but I'm not always certain about Sub 2. I'll have to get down to eat level and feel the cone for activation.
Just lightly touch the edge of the surround and feel for vibration.

I actually do that all the time. I love my subs...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Audioholics isn't your own personal erotica website! ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally you don't want to be able to localize your subs. How did you choose the sub locations to start? Setup details with what gear (did you use YPAO)? What crossover are you using?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

Love em' or not, keep touchin' your "subs" and you're gonna go blind. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm working on a sub erotica fan fiction post right now. I might include @Danzilla31 as the sub-port antagonist for an interesting love triangle story.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hope the OP doesn't come back around. I can just hear them now, "What in the f$%k!":D

K

Kaiser Roll

Audiophyte
Ideally you don't want to be able to localize your subs. How did you choose the sub locations to start? Setup details with what gear (did you use YPAO)? What crossover are you using?
Both Definitive Technology Subs sit to the left and right of the Mounted TV due to space restraint. I currently have Elac Debut 2.0 f6.2 main speaker with Elac front presence and surround speakers. Polk signature series center speaker because of the low profile. I did use YAPO but those measurements like the test tone only show one subwoofer. Subs sit between the mains and TV.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Both Definitive Technology Subs sit to the left and right of the Mounted TV due to space restraint. I currently have Elac Debut 2.0 f6.2 main speaker with Elac front presence and surround speakers. Polk signature series center speaker because of the low profile. I did use YAPO but those measurements like the test tone only show one subwoofer. Subs sit between the mains and TV.
Have you determined whether or not sub 2 is working??

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis