GR Research Hot topic?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Not in any way I can see. And we have the added "Benefit" that he has nothing monetary to gain from the information he provides.

It is done for all to see, is repeatable, and presented to inform people.
It's clear he's ghosting the thread after getting beat with the 'generic zip cord of logic'.

racebum

racebum

Audiophyte
1st post, made an account since i noticed this topic. GR isn't really new as there have been guys doing this sort of thing since at least the 70s. my mentor {glenn phillips} was one of them who ran a business out of his house in the 80s creating speaker kits, crossover design etc then later went on to work at klipsch and phoenix gold. maybe 10-15 years ago another guy everyone called zaph was doing speaker kits and selling online and at madisound. i had the chance to demo one and it was terrible. others may be decent and this is the nature of kits and speaker building. you guys may notice a theme with GR and that is no matter the speaker it always needs upgraded caps, coils and resistors, naturally he sells all the above along with the design work. another thing worth mentioning is his measurements are, near as i can tell probably 1w1m unless stated otherwise? how a speaker behaves at 1w is night and day different than at 100w. room size, material, it all plays a part. in the GR videos everything supposedly benefits because of how he measures it. it some cases it certainly might but it's not a universal equation. like many of you i'm sure i have tried various brands of caps in speakers and some do improve the sound, others do not. crossover redesigns are even harder because doing so often trades one issue for another. on some lower cost speakers the biggest benefit for your dollar imo is moving to a better cap in the tweeter circuit. what's "better" that's for you to figure out by listening. what really got me was when he wrapped on the dynaudio special 40. that's just an outstanding bookshelf. could it be improved? perhaps but dyn tests a lot more than 1w1m response curves so i really have to wonder what this speaker is doing playing music at 100w with his crossover. the guys at dyn are such fanatics they actually listen to how different glues sound before a speaker is green lit for production. however the GR reply was the same as all the other videos. we will make you a new crossover with these here parts and at 1w and a signal tone it will measure flatter. will it sound better? who knows but that isn't his business. selling you parts is.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There is a build-to-test of a GR Kit happening:

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
1st post, made an account since i noticed this topic. GR isn't really new as there have been guys doing this sort of thing since at least the 70s. my mentor {glenn phillips} was one of them who ran a business out of his house in the 80s creating speaker kits, crossover design etc then later went on to work at klipsch and phoenix gold. maybe 10-15 years ago another guy everyone called zaph was doing speaker kits and selling online and at madisound. i had the chance to demo one and it was terrible. others may be decent and this is the nature of kits and speaker building. you guys may notice a theme with GR and that is no matter the speaker it always needs upgraded caps, coils and resistors, naturally he sells all the above along with the design work. another thing worth mentioning is his measurements are, near as i can tell probably 1w1m unless stated otherwise? how a speaker behaves at 1w is night and day different than at 100w. room size, material, it all plays a part. in the GR videos everything supposedly benefits because of how he measures it. it some cases it certainly might but it's not a universal equation. like many of you i'm sure i have tried various brands of caps in speakers and some do improve the sound, others do not. crossover redesigns are even harder because doing so often trades one issue for another. on some lower cost speakers the biggest benefit for your dollar imo is moving to a better cap in the tweeter circuit. what's "better" that's for you to figure out by listening. what really got me was when he wrapped on the dynaudio special 40. that's just an outstanding bookshelf. could it be improved? perhaps but dyn tests a lot more than 1w1m response curves so i really have to wonder what this speaker is doing playing music at 100w with his crossover. the guys at dyn are such fanatics they actually listen to how different glues sound before a speaker is green lit for production. however the GR reply was the same as all the other videos. we will make you a new crossover with these here parts and at 1w and a signal tone it will measure flatter. will it sound better? who knows but that isn't his business. selling you parts is.
Measuring speakers at 1 watt is the industry standard. You do CEA-2034a measurements references to 1w/1m. Measuring at higher wattages is only done for the purposes of testing the dynamic performance of the speaker, not to characterize its frequency response or directivity.

there are also standard dynamic tests which involve either pink noise or shaped pink noise at incremental increases until 3dB of compression is seen or distortion limited pure tone tests.

having said that, his measurements are not the best in the world. While I’ve used a similar technique in reviews when I can’t do proper outdoor measurements, I know from my own first hand Experience that these indoor methods can sometimes yield erroneous results. I certainly wouldn’t give a lot of credence to distortion measurements taken this way and only trust nearfield LF measurements.

his own measurments aren’t all that flattering. Most of his speakers measure like I would expect. The driver size and spacing mean that some amount of directivity mismatch is inevitable.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
He just had a video ripping a Focal saying "this is high end". Danny is a total clown.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Measuring speakers at 1 watt is the industry standard. You do CEA-2034a measurements references to 1w/1m. Measuring at higher wattages is only done for the purposes of testing the dynamic performance of the speaker, not to characterize its frequency response or directivity.

there are also standard dynamic tests which involve either pink noise or shaped pink noise at incremental increases until 3dB of compression is seen or distortion limited pure tone tests.

having said that, his measurements are not the best in the world. While I’ve used a similar technique in reviews when I can’t do proper outdoor measurements, I know from my own first hand Experience that these indoor methods can sometimes yield erroneous results. I certainly wouldn’t give a lot of credence to distortion measurements taken this way and only trust nearfield LF measurements.

his own measurments aren’t all that flattering. Most of his speakers measure like I would expect. The driver size and spacing mean that some amount of directivity mismatch is inevitable.
Excuse me for adding this correction: The present standard for measuring loudspeakers is rather 2.83 volts at 1 meter, equivalent to 1 watt at 8 ohms but 2 watts for a 4 ohm load.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Excuse me for adding this correction: The present standard for measuring loudspeakers is rather 2.83 volts at 1 meter, equivalent to 1 watt at 8 ohms but 2 watts for a 4 ohm load.
Yes yes that is correct. 2.83v.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am alive. The move kicked my butt. My house is still loaded with boxes. I have a ton of behind reviews. I just sent one in for editing so let’s see if I can restart soon.
Did you get your room finished? ;)

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Did you get your room finished? ;)
I mean, it’s drywalled and painted. But it’s not a functional room yet. Chairs should be in soon. Screen is still being manufactured. I hope to have it working by June at this point. We shall see.

racebum

racebum

Audiophyte

you're right but it just doesn't paint the picture of sound. you can tap on a tin can and with the right impact create a really nice looking response curve. music is dynamic and quickly switching through various tones. i guess what i'm getting at is response curves are a very crude way to test a speaker. useful if it's really out of character like a 6db spike at 2khz which would drive anyone crazy. the thing that bugs me about these kit guru's is the give people the feeling that a $40 speaker with their wizadary will sound like a $500 driver which simply is not the case when you actually play music through it even if you can manipulate a 1w/1m response curve to look similar. if a curve looks reasonably decent, personally. i like to play music through it open baffle for hours and just listen to what it does. no crossover, just listen. the thing is , you can't market that. you can't sell that. sales require tangible things like charts and response curves not a guy saying god i love how this sounds.....which is exactly what he does...sell things....which it sounds like you may well do yourself if you're doing published reviews.

that isn't to say you can't improve some speakers, especially lower end ones and or car audio. TON of room to improve car audio if you know what you're doing. it's just this canned response of "buy my kit" you'll get this nifty flat curve {does anyone even like flat speakers?} and these crossover components along with my renamed dynamat for a few hundred dollars

i also totally get going through the kit phase is part of growing in the audio world. everyone needs to build their first 2 way at some point. everyone has to try mods it's just more of a realistic approach to what you're purchasing rather than what his videos imply which is guaranteed improvement

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. Listening to the sound of glue.
My guess is they were sniffing it first!

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
Glenn Phillips? I know a Glenn Phillips in Portland. I learned nearly everything I know about loudspeakers from Glenn. PM me if you're in touch with him!

racebum

racebum

Audiophyte
Glenn Phillips? I know a Glenn Phillips in Portland. I learned nearly everything I know about loudspeakers from Glenn. PM me if you're in touch with him!
he's still in the same place on burnside and as of a couple years ago was driving around in a smart car and doing road shows. this was 2018-2019 ? and still has the same landline number he did when it was the speaker clinic. i haven't talked to him since. we were BS'ing about benching a sub i had and how inefficient so many of these modern subs are. glenn enjoyed trying to make a $5 speaker sound like gold. he use to have such a business out of that house.

McC

McC

Audioholic Intern
he's still in the same place on burnside and as of a couple years ago was driving around in a smart car and doing road shows. this was 2018-2019 ? and still has the same landline number he did when it was the speaker clinic. i haven't talked to him since. we were BS'ing about benching a sub i had and how inefficient so many of these modern subs are. glenn enjoyed trying to make a $5 speaker sound like gold. he use to have such a business out of that house.
Yes, he did. Glenn sometimes worked with Vance Dickason doing LEAP/LMS seminars. I miss those years and the conversations we used to have. Man, I contact him!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It has been tested by Amir. That speaker is a real joke and not worth the price. Even the flatpack box is not adequately finished:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It has been tested by Amir. That speaker is a real joke and not worth the price. Even the flatpack box is not adequately finished:
Ya, I’ve been following along. It’s pretty horrible in many respects.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Ouch! Those things are horrible. How does Danny keep a straight face?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis