GR Research Hot topic?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It has been tested by Amir. That speaker is a real joke and not worth the price. Even the flatpack box is not adequately finished:
I saw this thread and was going to bring up that review but read through it to make sure it hadn't been brought up already. Glad I did Lol. Yeah that kit turned out to be garbage. I already didn't trust GR's reviews but that sealed the deal for me.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I tried about 5 mins of one of his videos and it was too creepy. It was cable risers, and recently too. It was on the youtube suggestions section on the home page. This is someone who has sold their audio soul to yet another fund hungry religion. Could not go to an audio show with him, or others like him in it. Soon as they started their spiel, I'd have something unpleasant to say about it to them.

I hate shysters.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man, Amir has been busy.

EDIT: I should have finished reading before posting.

The worst speaker he has ever heard. Damn.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the links @panteragstk . I read the Joke Speaker review earlier but it was helpful to see the other two. Like I've mentioned before, Danny can come across as a credible technical type on speaker cross over design and measurements; but when he moves off into VooDoo Snake Oil (like power cables and Tube Connectors) he loses it all for me. I wonder if it's all about maximizing the income to GR regardless of impact to his integrity.

Too bad @gene didn't follow-up and get his team to test a GR modified speaker as well. Then we'd have a couple points of reference.

M

Milty

Audiophyte
I recently like the last 3 days discovered the GR Research YouTube channel and at first I was like, ok interesting but as I kept watch videos I noticed a trend. A lot of times he'll say the response is pretty flat after testing and he'll say about the crossover parts "cheesy" but if it's flat and is designed ok and the speaker sound good why would you replace those parts with what he calls "good quality parts"?
He took an Andrew Jones Elac center channel and said it's great, perfect and said he would just mimick the same crossover design with again "better quality parts" but why? What for?
He also pushes expensive cables so that is a giant red flag to me. I'm be to this dude completely, I mean never heard of him till a few days ago or GR Research. Is it a hot topic? Snake oil here?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Sometimes you have to ignore people and try and experiment by yourself. I'been building speakers since 1986 and what he says about parts quality is correct. I've rebuilt crossovers with better parts and you definitely will hear a difference. I no longer "upgrade" speakers, I just build them myself. Don't knock it before you try it. Obviously some people haven't tried it themselves. Remember one thing, speaker response has nothing to do with clarity.
Good luck and let me know how your experiment works out for you.

M

Milty

Audiophyte
Sometimes you have to ignore people and try and experiment by yourself. I'been building speakers since 1986 and what he says about parts quality is correct. I've rebuilt crossovers with better parts and you definitely will hear a difference. I no longer "upgrade" speakers, I just build them myself. Don't knock it before you try it. Obviously some people haven't tried it themselves. Remember one thing, speaker response has nothing to do with clarity.
FYI.. I don't own any of Danny's speakers, I've never even heard one. I don't use tune connectors or super fancy cables either. The parts quality and the least amounts of parts in a speaker will make a difference but it's not worth spending a large amount of money on budget speakers.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
Totally disagree.
Danny is just pushing overpriced crossover components.
Do you have anything to back up your comments that is concrete and proves what you say?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis