Finally upgrading - I have some questions.

A

Aaron_mtb

Enthusiast
I won't be able to demo any speakers at HSU, they are only offering curbside pickup. They just opened back up for curbside pickup this week and the black subs are selling out fast. I missed the latest shipment and the next ones won't be in till mid July, so I am getting a VTF-15H mk2 in rosenut becauses they are in stock and I can't wait that long. I hope I like the look... but my subs are usually placed in a corner or mostly hidden from view anyway.

I go to pick it up today. I ended up getting only one sub and not looking to buy a new front sound stage yet as we have decided to get an in ground custom pool. My wife won't be very happy once she sees how big this sub is and learns how much it costs, but I am afraid I won't be walking anymore if I were to drop $5,000 on speakers when we are getting a pool that costs as much as a house. I probably wouldn't be getting this sub but as luck would have it, that Klipsch SW-350 that I've had for many years finally bit the dust and we really need a subwoofer.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Too bad you won't be able to go inside HSU and listen to their CCB-8s. I hope the WAF on your chosen Sub is positive. Have a safe trip.

A

Aaron_mtb

Enthusiast
My wife didn't say a thing about how big the subwoofer is, I'm a bit surprised. She doesn't get the whole audiophile thing and I thought for sure she wouldn't be pleased with such a large subwoofer.

I have been playing with the various settings but don't feel I have it in it's final spot. Tomorrow I'll try the subwoofer crawl and see if I can find the best spot for it. I'm a bit limited with the placement locations since my HT is the living room. I'm certainly impressed with its performance so far!

And I have to add, my reservations about the rosenut finish were unfounded. When I unboxed it I was extremely pleased, the sub looks amazing! Pictures on the internet do not do it justice.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I have both the SB-3000 from SVS and the Defiance X12 from Paradigm. From experience go ported with a good subwoofer. Honestly the Defiance X12 has a wonderful voice and should not be disregarded. I have also heard the Paradigm Founders edition 80F and 70LCR and own a set of 40B's. All of them are excellent speakers and the Paradigm 40B Founders were a massive upgrade over my Martin Logan Motion LX-16's that I was using previously on my computer. In a HT setup after hearing what I did, I would not hesitate to use Paradigm's Founders 70LCR as the Left and Right front pair and the Center. As a stereo pair the Founders edition 70LCR blow out of the water many other speaker pairs IMHO. And as a center they would be a massive upgrade over other centers. The 40B's would work wonderfully in either a 5.1 or 7.1 system as the surrounds as they are that good. The Defiance x12 is an excellent choice and you would not be disappointed for that as your sub. I did also hear a pair of the Founders 120F (not enough to get a full demo) but they with the active built in woofer do replace two woofers if you are willing to go that route. The Founders edition are that good that IMHO the price is well worth it. I also own the Paradigm Premier 800F and set up properly they are awesome also. I do have some of the Prestige 25S (rear surrounds) and the 45C (center) also but they are discontinued and the Founders that replaced that line are far superior. In fact at the moment they Founders line may actually be better than the Paradigm's Persona line and that says a lot.

A

Aaron_mtb

Enthusiast
Thank you for insight on your speakers, I'll still be looking for a new front sound stage. That will be delayed a bit for now as we work on other projects at home.

As for the HSU VTF-15H mk2... It's pretty amazing! I love the look of the rosenut and I'm glad I ended up going with that finish. I pretty much have it set up how it works best in my home (I spent about 3 days trying different settings and placements), and I love how low it will play and feeling the vibrations a large subwoofer gives. I know it's a huge difference from the sub it replaced so I can't really compare it to another sub of similar quality, but I am VERY happy with my purchase.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis