Finally coming together

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
True that :D Even got paint and some other random stuff on them. I paid a Mexican for his jeans. Cost me whatever a 6 pack of Corona costs. If you're smart, you can get designer jeans at beer prices :)

I have no idea what I just said.
Jokes on him, he had to drink the Corona :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Stupid cable line was causing it all along. I read the AH article and some others on ground loop hum and buzz and that cable tv lines were notorious for this, but I thought I was good because I had the cable line running into the APC S15 and then out to the cable box. Apparently I was mistaken, so I'm going to drive over to Markertek in the morning (hopefully well before Fedex even thinks about swinging by) to pick up one of those Jensen doo dads that AH recommends. Fingers crossed.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Stupid cable line was causing it all along. I read the AH article and some others on ground loop hum and buzz and that cable tv lines were notorious for this, but I thought I was good because I had the cable line running into the APC S15 and then out to the cable box. Apparently I was mistaken, so I'm going to drive over to Markertek in the morning (hopefully well before Fedex even thinks about swinging by) to pick up one of those Jensen doo dads that AH recommends. Fingers crossed.
And what new knick knack is fed ex bringing by later today? :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Stupid cable line was causing it all along. I read the AH article and some others on ground loop hum and buzz and that cable tv lines were notorious for this, but I thought I was good because I had the cable line running into the APC S15 and then out to the cable box. Apparently I was mistaken...
My Belkin fixed that for me. I figured it was because it provides a common ground (and I verified that it does provide that when I took it apart last year). I would assume that your APC should do the same. Did you try more than one coax cable? I'm wondering if a shield was loose at the connector if that could cause it...my electrical ignorance at work.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
And what new knick knack is fed ex bringing by later today? :p
I speak in pictures :p

Blow up girlfriend :)
That would kind of upset the real one that lives with me and the male one would make me look bad if I blew it up all the way :D

My Belkin fixed that for me. I figured it was because it provides a common ground (and I verified that it does provide that when I took it apart last year). I would assume that your APC should do the same. Did you try more than one coax cable? I'm wondering if a shield was loose at the connector if that could cause it...my electrical ignorance at work.
It may have, I'll do some more experimenting today to see if I can figure something out, but for now I drove over to Markertek and bought a Jensen VFD-1FF or whatever its called from the AH article and it fixed the hum, but the cable box doesn't appear to like it since it's giving me an E-13. So now I have to do some more experimenting.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice job, Fuzz. I envy your carpentry skills. The last thing I built I think was made from ice cream sticks. :eek:

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Very nice job, Fuzz. I envy your carpentry skills. The last thing I built I think was made from ice cream sticks. :eek:
Thank you. This build is far from perfect, but all the mistakes I make her are hopefully ones I avoid on the next one.

Hey yea gotta start somewhere :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Got the flush baffle cut today and dry fitted it. I also got some additional bracing cut and dry fit as well. Still a ton of work to do, but the mineral wool will be here Thursday and I'm going to solder the wire to the binding posts tomorrow along with gluing a few more pieces in. Hopefully Thursday night I'll be stuffing the cabinet and gluing the front baffle on. That all depends if I have enough time to get the double baffle fitted and glued tomorrow.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Shiny! I like it!
I always wanted a Nelson Pass amplifier. This thing is so sweet. You can definitely tell this ain't no Emo 2 channel or anything like that. Heck, this makes the Cinepro and the Perreaux seem puny by comparison and those are no slouches by any means.

This thing has a 700 watt custom torroidal in it that is capable of twice its rating for sustained periods of time and boy does it run in class A. I believe it's rated at 30-50 watts class A before it switches to A/B and you can tell. I had it on for about half an hour without being hooked up to anything and the heat sinks were almost too hot to touch.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I always wanted a Nelson Pass amplifier. This thing is so sweet. You can definitely tell this ain't no Emo 2 channel or anything like that. Heck, this makes the Cinepro and the Perreaux seem puny by comparison and those are no slouches by any means.

This thing has a 700 watt custom torroidal in it that is capable of twice its rating for sustained periods of time and boy does it run in class A. I believe it's rated at 30-50 watts class A before it switches to A/B and you can tell. I had it on for about half an hour without being hooked up to anything and the heat sinks were almost too hot to touch.
You need more fans! A million fans for the amp! A hurricane in your living room!

Ok, maybe I went a little over board there.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Why? What happened to the old one? :p
It just read in the DIY cluster**** thread that panteragsk built both of his subs in 3 hours, or maybe it was 3 hours for each, not counting glue drying time. I'm definitely doing something wrong, since I blew by 6 hours like two weeks ago :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis