Finally coming together

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I'll give a video a try after I do some preliminary testing to make sure nothing explodes or catches on fire :D

They are these. I got them when the price was lower plus I had a gift card from Christmas. Still expensive, but they turn a mediocre wood worker into a mediocre wood worker with cool clamps.
If something explodes or catches on fire we DEFINITELY want video :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It was a very mediocre first run, with a minor heart attack involved. The sub sounded a little bit muddled and it went crazy for a couple seconds. I couldn't figure out why it was getting very angry at me, until I went to take it back out of the box and my hand slipped. When I was doing my leak test, apparently I wasn't pushing hard enough on it because I found a leak when I slipped and accidentally pushed pretty hard on the cone. I'm hoping that was what caused the oddities I was hearing and the resulting unhappiness, but more experimentation will have to wait.

I did manage to get a little video at a moderate listening level, and even at moderate to low moderate levels I could hear everything vibrating. As long as the sub isn't damaged at all, and the air leak was the problem, this thing will hit like a hammer to the forehead.

Video is taking awhile to upload, I'll edit this post with a link when it's done.

Be gentle. I know it looks like hell.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_aQwNV2P8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'd make a joke about how often I'm full throttle, but the math is just way too complicated. There's a decimal in there somewhere...and maybe a prime.
I don't even remember making that handle, but google bought YouTube and merged my gmail and apparently my YouTube accounts so there it is :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hi, thanks. The crown is terrific. When I first got it I hooked it up to my computer system with my EMP E-41Bs and I really liked it. Now that it is hooked up to the sub I still think its a great amp. For the ways I use it I find the high pass and low pass filters extremely useful as well. Overall it is well built, if a bit cheesy looking for HT. Thats not to say I don't like how it looks, it just looks a bit out if sorts when placed next to the rest of my gear.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It kinda tickles me that someone gave my video a thumbs down. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So test day number two went much better. The driver sounded very good at all but the highest levels where there was still a little weirdness from time to time, but fixing the air leak made 95% of everything go away. As you can see by the picture I'm touching up one of the front baffle edges since I didn't quite have enough clamps when I went to do it the first time. I decided that I'm going to hold off on finishing it and just use it as is for a few months to make sure it's worth it before I pump another $200+ into it. I think that with some EQ and actually listening to it with a pair of speakers instead of mono/bass frequencies only will also help it out.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I want an orange finish!:) How much does it weigh? I wish I had your talent. Looks fantastic. I do love putting things together like my recent Ikea stuff.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I want an orange finish!:) How much does it weigh? I wish I had your talent. Looks fantastic. I do love putting things together like my recent Ikea stuff.
Thanks. Took forever and still may mot be done. If I decide to finish it, it'll be another month at least of work. I don't think the GF would go for orange :D

Believe me, I have no talent. This thing is uuuuggggllllyyyy in person. I wish that was modesty talking :D. If I can anyone can.

I'm not entirely sure. Over 100lbs at least. Not something I can just pickup and move around for sure.

View attachment 11184View attachment 11185

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I already have the materials on the way for my next project. Nothing exciting, just a pair of speaker stands. Very simple design. I just hope they are aesthetically OK. I guess I'll find out.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
This thing is uuuuggggllllyyyy in person.
It isn't much better in pictures.

:D :D Just messing with you! I'm impressed by you and anyone that takes on a project like that. The first one is under your built...time for the Fuzz Audio website to launch and start taking orders. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
It isn't much better in pictures.

:D :D Just messing with you! I'm impressed by you and anyone that takes on a project like that. The first one is under your built...time for the Fuzz Audio website to launch and start taking orders. :)
Thanks and trust me I take no offense. Hopefully I like it and decide to finish it. If I do it will get a nice maple veneer, solid maple legs and a solid maple top.

You never know after I save up enough money to get that thing I'm eyeing :D

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Fuzzy the video is great didnt have time to sign in and leave a comment but I will verey soon

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sent the HTD speaker selector back and jumped on these Adcom GFS-300's. Got them on ebay, paid about $39.33 unit price which is around what you can get the GFS-3 for. Not too bad since the 300 has nice 5 way binding posts and a higher power handling than the GFS-3.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Sent the HTD speaker selector back and jumped on these Adcom GFS-300's. Got them on ebay, paid about $39.33 unit price which is around what you can get the GFS-3 for. Not too bad since the 300 has nice 5 way binding posts and a higher power handling than the GFS-3.

Wow that's a lot of buttons fuzz are these the new toys you where waiting for?

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Reading back a few pages fuzz,
seen this
It was a very mediocre first run, with a minor heart attack involved. The sub sounded a little bit muddled and it went crazy for a couple seconds. I couldn't figure out why it was getting very angry at me,
i giggled

Last edited by a moderator:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You appear to have glue bleed on the side. I hope you got to it before it dried. It can be a real pain after the fact. I find a hot washcloth does wonders for cleaning up bleed. If it's not a water based. Acetone works wonders. I suggest you give plywood a go on your next speaker project. Just to see the difference assuming your saw blades can handle it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis