Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I have the Source Tech 8.3's hooked up as my front towers in place of the Phils. I have yet to try this with the Phil's, but WOW. I just got the Sheffield Drum and Track CD today so I popped it in the Oppo and cranked it up to about +5 on the Onkyo running pure mode. Man that sounded good. I think the imaging is still a little less precise than the Phil's but goodness these things have a ton of bass output. Definitely delivered a live kit sound while hitting about 103db peaks. I couldn't detect any distortion or cone breakup either which is absolutely thrilling. Maybe tomorrow during a sub build break I'll pop in the 1812 overture and see what some digitally recorded cannons can do. Until then I'm having too much fun with these drum tracks.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
So I have the Source Tech 8.3's hooked up as my front towers in place of the Phils. I have yet to try this with the Phil's, but WOW. I just got the Sheffield Drum and Track CD today so I popped it in the Oppo and cranked it up to about +5 on the Onkyo running pure mode. Man that sounded good. I think the imaging is still a little less precise than the Phil's but goodness these things have a ton of bass output. Definitely delivered a live kit sound while hitting about 103db peaks. I couldn't detect any distortion or cone breakup either which is absolutely thrilling. Maybe tomorrow during a sub build break I'll pop in the 1812 overture and see what some digitally recorded cannons can do. Until then I'm having too much fun with these drum tracks.
I heard the 1812 cannons on the tads and pioneers at RMAF.. Nice ,but they had the system turned down due to the cannons and would like to hear it it Less constrained by system limitations.
Happy New Years , Mac

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I heard the 1812 cannons on the tads and pioneers at RMAF.. Nice ,but they had the system turned down due to the cannons and would like to hear it it Less constrained by system limitations.
Happy New Years , Mac
I agree. I played the track on the Philharmonics and I nearly bottomed out the woofers and didn't even have the Onkyo on 0. I'm curious to try it with the Source Technology Speakers since they can supposedly handle it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Not a ton of pictures today, although I did make some good progress. Part of the issue was the somehow the side panel I glued yesterday shifter during the night so I had to very carefully break the glue on the section that shifted without knocking the whole panel loose and move it the quarter inch back to where it was supposed to be. This also set me back on gluing since I was planning on getting the other side panel on today. Unfortunately now I have to wait until tonight to glue the side panel, which means that I won't be able to start fitting the lid and braces until tomorrow or Thursday. Anyways, here's what I've got so far.

My proudest moment of the day. First time ever using a router and it came out nearly perfect :D :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I agree. I played the track on the Philharmonics and I nearly bottomed out the woofers and didn't even have the Onkyo on 0. I'm curious to try it with the Source Technology Speakers since they can supposedly handle it.
They should. They handled everything I've thrown at them at +6db.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Side panel engaged. Tomorrow I tackle the lid and possibly do some work on fitting the bracing.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My girlfriend's Dad has been repairing a Perreaux 6000B that Walter loaned to me. The left channel was weak and often went into clipping way before it should. The other issue was that it used only XLR's for both input and output. Kind of a pain.

NOT NO MO' :D

All new output transistors for the damaged channel as well, plus a few other parts here and there.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
My girlfriend's Dad has been repairing a Perreaux 6000B that Walter loaned to me. The left channel was weak and often went into clipping way before it should. The other issue was that it used only XLR's for both input and output. Kind of a pain.

NOT NO MO' :D

All new output transistors for the damaged channel as well, plus a few other parts here and there.

First I was gona loan it to you, but now since it's all so nice it's yours to keep. Enjoy, I hope it works well for you.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oops, forgot I had these as well. This is with the lid and the front baffle dry fit. The reason this is all outside is because as you can see in the second and third pictures my cuts weren't perfect. I needed to level out the two side panels so that they would lay flush with the front and back panels.

Lid on, what a pain that was

My S15 was running out of gas so I need to take some of the load off

Last edited:
Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Oops, forgot I had these as well. This is with the lid and the front baffle dry fit. The reason this is all outside is because as you can see in the second and third pictures my cuts weren't perfect. I needed to level out the two side panels so that they would lay flush with the front and back panels.

Lid on, what a pain that was

My S15 was running out of gas so I need to take some of the load off

Wow your getting further along verey nice

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks, had a little set back today that kept me from getting the bracing in, but it's not a big deal. I'm still waiting on the mineral wool, binding posts, and screw with threaded inserts for the driver so once I get the bracing in, it will just be waiting anyways.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Progress has slowed more than a little bit, mostly because some of my supplies have yet to arrive so I'm running out of things to do. Hopefully the driver screws and the binding posts materialize tomorrow. Then I can get the pilot holes drilled in the front baffle and the threaded inserts installed and fit the driver. Then I can also dry fit the front baffle, clamp it and screw the driver in place. If I can get all that done between tomorrow and sunday I should be in pretty good shape. Then the only question left is: How patient am I? Which leads to, Do I wait until the acoustic material to get here before I glue the front baffle on so I can place it easier or do I just glue that sucker on and worry about climbing inside the driver hole later? Decisions decisions. Anyways bracing is in, glue is everywhere, and I'm tired from a day spent teaching elementary school children physical education. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
New APC unit installed

Stuff from Meniscus. I don't know if they give you candy every time, but if they do I'll never order from somewhere else again.

What I'll be using for the driver

Cardas binding posts

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
New APC unit installed

Stuff from Meniscus. I don't know if they give you candy every time, but if they do I'll never order from somewhere else again.

What I'll be using for the driver

Cardas binding posts

You mean they gave you candy and tootsie rolls? No self respecting candy aficionado can call that stuff candy :p hard to argue with free though :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis