Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You mean they gave you candy and tootsie rolls? No self respecting candy aficionado can call that stuff candy :p hard to argue with free though :)
I don't actually like any of the candy they gave me :p, but the fact that they give free candy? They must be top notch people :D

Plus they sent me a follow up e-mail almost immediately after I got the shipment e-mail saying something to the effect of "Hello, just noticed this is your first time ordering from us. Here's a bunch of links to informational stuff. Here's our forum where you can ask questions. Here's my e-mail address if you have any problems or concerns or any questions. Thank you for choosing us, hopefully you'll come back in the future."

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Got the threaded inserts in. Now that I've tried them I can definitely see why people don't use them for MDF, but once you get them in I really do think they are better.

Test fit

Bracing pretty much done. Thinking about adding some vertical bracing.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Got the threaded inserts in. Now that I've tried them I can definitely see why people don't use them for MDF, but once you get them in I really do think they are better.

Test fit

Bracing pretty much done. Thinking about adding some vertical bracing.

My god! That looks like a subwoofer!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My god! That looks like a subwoofer!
Yup, it is finally taking shape. Still a ton of work to do on it, assuming it sounds Ok. I'm going to finish it up to the point where it can be used, then measure and listen to it for awhile. If I like it, then I'll start on the finishing process. I hope it sounds good, because I have big plans for the finishing :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Oy vey. It's a good thing I enjoy learning as I go. I never wanted to punch the person who came up with the phrase "teachable moment" more :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Learning is also for those who forget :D

I forgot a step and now it is definitely biting me in the hindquarters. After this, never again will I forget this particular step.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Learning is also for those who forget :D
Oh, I hear ya. :) I forget more and more every day, it seems.

Btw, my previous comment was more of a "this sounds dumb enough to almost be funny" comment - it wasn't meant as any sort of criticism. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Which step did you forget? Just ordering a built one? :p

No, seriously...what did you forget?
Oh I didn't think it was :)

To your first question yes, should've just ordered a Funk sub since they're having their sale :D

I forgot to glue the threaded inserts as I was getting them into the front baffle so when I fitted the driver and screwed it in half of them came out, which was a face palm if I ever had one. This seemed like a minor mistake until I tried to glue them in after the fact. Most of them actually turned out alright, but three of them are approaching FUBAR. At this point I may need to just fill them with glue, let it sit for a week or two and try all over again. I'm giving it one last shot tonight, letting it sit and dry overnight, then seeing how it comes out tomorrow. If it's a complete cluster I'll scrap it, fill the holes and start over.

Worst case scenario, I have enough MDF to make a new front baffle. Not a big deal since the mineral wool I ordered for the acoustic dampening material seems like it's never going to get here. Supposedly shipped last week. Even got a tracking number, but Fedex still has yet to receive it.

Oh well at least I'm having fun :D

​I'm having fun ​I'm having fun ​I'm having fun ​I'm having fun....................:p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Need more photos of the binding posts....:D
They're so pretty and I'm recessing that little plastic piece today, then maybe laying out cuts for the flush mount baffle and extra bracing.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You're stylin' with those ripped jeans. :D
True that :D Even got paint and some other random stuff on them. I paid a Mexican for his jeans. Cost me whatever a 6 pack of Corona costs. If you're smart, you can get designer jeans at beer prices :)

I have no idea what I just said.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis