Enter to Win: STF-2 Sub from Hsu!

Which three below would you like to see in our product line offering and services?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
my 3 choices

1. The finish options would have to be my #1 issue. I think your potential customers (myself included) would like to see those options. If we're looking for a refined look and you simple don't offer it, then you're eliminated from our options. I think your subs sound too good to not offer the veneer finishes and along with a piano black.

2. Web page.....and not just the web page, but your advertising as well....I recently saw one of your adds in HT mag and thought it just looked to generic looking, much like the webpage....the 'fine line' you have to find of course is trying to upgade these areas while keeping your overhead down, but I think some major improvements can be done without having to spend alot of money with flash developement pages, etc. Just give it a cleaner more refined look and update your mag adds as well. Both look too 'entry' level and your product is not entry level.

3. I'd like to see the bookshelves and other speakers as well....there's no doubt Dr. Hsu has the mind and talents to put forth some nice offerings for us to take a look at.

PitBull

PitBull

Enthusiast
I'd love to see slimmer profiles for the subs. Some are just too big and bulky and takes up too much space.
Additional "colors" are always nice. Black will go with most anything, but why not have more variety to choose something that will better match your home colors?
I wasn't sure on the 3rd choice, so i selected a "slicker" web page look. Change is always good when it comes to web design.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
and not just the web page, but your advertising as well
Hey, send it my way. I'm an Art Director in advertising, working out of New York. I've worked on/produced everything from small space, b&w newspaper ads to a half-million dollar tv spot for brands both big and small. Send the work my way, I'll freelance it and set Hsu Research up...you can pay me in subwoofers :D

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I voted for:

- additional finishes
- amplifier features
- slimmer profile

Basically my finish preference is for a piano-black glossy or semi-glossy finish, but others will be trying to match the look of their sub to whatever their other speakers look like.

I'm not real clear as to the kind of "additional amplifier features" you're talking about, but am always interested in improved functionality.

Finally, a slimmer profile might make room placement easier, or give more choices.

That said, I am most interested in getting the most sound "bang for the buck", which Hsu is already known for. For moderate price subs, I am more interested in low distortion and reasonably flat response, and am willing to give up some amount of absolute bass extension to get it. (I.e. flat, distortion-free bass, with less low-bass extension, rather than lower extension that is achieved at the expense of boominess, or high distortion levels.) For really low bass extension, I would expect to pay more, for larger drivers, etc.

Thanks for entering me in the contest!

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
I vote for the finishes. I really like the look of the rosewood finish on the web-page (& the gloss black when they had it), but they are out of stock and I guess never to be carried again.

Definitely finish!

flexodude

flexodude

Junior Audioholic
I choose:

• Additional wood veneer choices like cherry, bird's eye maple, ash, rosewood, piano black

I already own the STF-3 subwoofer, great sound, makes a good small end table for my wife to put more of here ceramic dog collection, **** there everywhere in the house.

It came in black which matched my speakers but if my speakers were cherry, that might have been a problem, so more colours please. :D

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Different veneers. I don't like to hide my equipment, rather I like to integrate it into the room like a nice piece of furniture.

DSP because no one has a perfect room which makes it difficult to tune a sub to a room.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I think you guys would do an outstanding job with bookshelf speakers. You have such a following, I'm sure they'd sell very well.

It appears additional finishes would also help move more product, although would add to your costs initially.

What do you mean by a slimmer profile sub? Taller and thinner? Space is always a factor, so that could be a definite plus to have something more room friendly.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
i dont care much about how a sub looks as long as it doesnt draw unneccary attention to itself. Think a good sub should have DSP built in so you dont have to buy something extra. Alson a fan of bookshelf speakers for the bedroom/home office

nellie7799

nellie7799

Enthusiast
I think slim subs no only look really cool, but they fit into home theatres much better.

I also beleive that there are not enough good bookshelf speakers. If you plan on getting a decent sub or have space restraints, than floorstanding speakers are just too much (and usually pretty ugly as well)

Also, having a really nice website makes me feel secure and draws me in. A crappy looking website is definitely a big turnoff.

A

AAD

Audioholic Intern
My choices are as follows:

Bookshelf type speakers - This would allow for a nice set of matched speakers that includes a great sub!

More finish choices - This is always nice. It allows for more design and decorating choices which would make my wife happy. She is not a fan of "Those big black boxes".

A slimmer sub cabinet would be nice - This would just increase the placement options.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
1. Slimmer sub - but powerful. Easy to place and easy to move around.
2. Bookshelf type - bookshelves
package with the sub that can timbre match all the way. Hoping it can
be a wall mount design so placement wont be an issue also.
3. Finish choices - my wife wants to match it with our furnitures and room
motif.

Kerosene Burner

Kerosene Burner

Audiophyte
HSU poll

I chose:
-additional veneer choices, since I am all about natural woods. I'd prefer to hide my speakers/subs, but if they're out in the open I'd like them to look great.
-slimmer sub, sort of tied to the first answer. I'd like my friends to see the movie and hear the sound, not fixate on the electronics.
-bookshelf speakers. SVS is making a growing following by using their reputation as sub builders to sell loudspeakers, too. HSU could do the same, they have a fanatical following, too!

C

c_h_shin

Enthusiast
I currently own a STF-3, which replaced a STF-2 that I let a friend "borrow". He wouldn't give it back and I was forced to upgrade - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

My vote - in the following order:

Additional amplifier features - a variable phase knob would be a great addition (and probably not too pricey to implement).

Additional wood veneer choices in the following order - dark cherry (to match my dark cherry Martin Logan Ascent speakers), piano black, maple (although bird's eye maple would be nice, real bird's eye maple veneer can get really expensive), and oak. Stained birch is a great option too - can look like either cherry or maple at less cost. I like the flat black myself, but dark cherry would be very tempting - especially if less than $150 for the optional veneer upgrade.

DSP technology - since many new pre/pro's and receivers are coming out with DSP capabilities to control room resonance problems, this would be a nice to have, but probably not worth the $. Instead of DSP, I think servo control would be interesting.

Instead of a STF-2, how about giving me discount for another STF-3 so I can have (2) STF-3's? :)

M

Maximo

Enthusiast
"Slicker" web page look

Several of the options given would be great to have; however, I think a slicker web page will not only benefit all consumers, but help Hsu Research greatly as well. A company's website is becoming increasingly more important as people turn to the web for their products. Hsu has a great following, but deserves to be in the homes of the casual consumer as well. I think this falls in line with what Dr. Hsu would want. I've read several interviews, and he doesn't think that audio equipment should expensive and the average consumer should be able to enjoy great audio. I currently don't own a Hsu sub or any "good" sub, but know that Hsu products are great because of research, but not everybody reads forums and magazines like I do. A website's first impression can only be given once; many people might not come back.

Now, onto how it would benefit me. First, I think the site's simplicity is a good thing. Many websites get overally excited about menus, links, etc.... Also, the home page doesn't feel inviting; it's just not pretty enough. I think the worst part is the "Products" section. Most of this, I'm sure you have already conversed about. Oh, please add more pictures of the subs with more angles.

Last edited:
P

pallando

Audiophyte
I choose these:

Additional wood veneer choices like cherry, bird's eye maple, ash, rosewood, piano black - Give all my stuff a nice uniform look; the college dorm look is out with the SO.

DSP - My space is rather `unsquare' and needs something extra to tame it.

Additional amplifier features - The extras are always nice, but nothing beats quality craftsmanship

B

btravis311

Audiophyte
Additional amp features are always better!

Bookshelf speakers designed to go with your current sub offerings provide the consumer with a good choice from the same manufacturer.

I'd love a slimmer profile sub due to space constraints in my theater.

R

rfarris

Audiophyte
- DSP technology
- Additional wood veneer choices
- Additional amplifier features

It's hard to get good bass without DSP help.
Wood veneers can help match cabinets.
A convenient (I said *convenient*) subwoofer volume control makes it easy to turn the bass down when I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis