Enter to Win: SB12-Plus from SVS – Canadian Residents Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomme35

Enthusiast
My current sub has been placed to the left of the front left main speaker, at the corner of a counter cabinet and the wall.
I would love to have it placed between the TV monitor and the main left speaker, but the sound is too boomby and loose there.

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
Behind the furnace

Yes, behind the furnace. There is about 2 feet of space there and it fits nicely.
Why would anyone do such a thing? Construction my friends; we're currently under construction downstairs.

The 'perfect placement' remains to be determined. However, I like my sub out where I can see it. I get enjoyment from seeing my little friend as well as hearing him.

And by the way, thanks for a contest exclusive to Canucks.

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Answer

Contest question: Tell us where you currently have your sub(s) placed in your room, and where you think the perfect placement would be. If those two locations aren’t the same, what are the reasons you can’t place the sub optimally? WAF? Furniture? Room size? Sub size? Etc.

Answer: I do not currently have a sub HOWEVER, I know that I need to calculate where the standing wave would be to the nearest walls. I would choose a corner and place it far enough from each wall to try and negate the second order reflection and minimize the boom. Once I have that set, I bring in my wife/daughter/dog/cat and place it where they will find it the least egregious. After I will move it to where it sounds the best between the two points above.

Family Approval Factor rules but I am the bigget bear in this den!

noneckjoe

Audiophyte
Sub Placement

I have my sub to the right of the screen in a corner. The theater room is temporary until i finish the real home theater room.

N

NewsyL

Audiophyte
I currently don't have a sub but will soon, one way or the other. Ideally, it will be located with a set of SBS-01 and SCS-01 speakers which I'm considering atm.

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I have a 10" JBL sub in the front left corner about 30cm from each wall.
It might be better more towards the center of the front wall, but my fp screen takes up too much space to allow it.

C

charmed101

Enthusiast
I have my sub placed along the left wall about a foot from the wall. Its about 5 feet from the back wall. I've tried several positions but this seems to be the most consistent for music and movies.

L

leocalgary

Enthusiast
Presently I don't have a sub yet. I am planing to buy a new AV receiver. I already bought a pair of bookshelf speakers (the brand is Bose). I hope that I can get a nice sub for my new AV receiver, and they can match very well to give me a fantastic surround system.
thanks, and good luck everyone.

magic_drummer

Audiophyte
Inspired

I currently do not have a sub. I am in the process of upgrading my electronics. The SB-12 would be very complimentary to my current system since my set of Enigma's do not produce rich bass. Sub placement would likely be in the front corner. Based on numerous reviews, I am seriously thinking about the Axiom M60s as a speaker replacement.

S

SHAKEY1

Audiophyte
I currently have mine between the tv and left speaker. It seems to be the optimal postion as I have tried other locations and it seemed to boomy.

C

castletop

Audiophyte
SB-12 plus

The only sub I have at the moment is for my computer system, a Klipsch Promedia 8". My office is 12x12 and the sub is under the desk. Out of the way but not ideal. I have a much larger space for a future surround system.
Good luck to all.

W

wpp

Audiophyte
Currently I have my Shiva sonosub placed at the front to the right of my left main speaker. Because of the odd shape of my back wall this seems to be the best location.

R

realzed

Enthusiast
SB-12 PLus contest entry...

Don't have a sub hooked up to my system or in my room yet.
If / when I do it probably will reside in the left front corner of the room outside of my LF surround speakerby 6 feet or so and firing approximately back toward the primary listening position between all the other surrounds. That sub spot would not be in a 90 degree corner and so I hope the sound will get directed over a field larger than would be from a normal right angle room corner.
Although this may or not be the optimum room placement (especially for a sub as big as a SB-12 Plus) subs these day are usually a little more forgiving placement-wise and have to be becuase their footprint is so large.
ie: not everyones end tables or so high or have something as big as a 12 woofer sub hide beneath them and 'park out of the way'.
'Significant other's' input notwithstanding we would all like to find and set our sub in the optimum set-up spot but it usually wouldn't work in today's world unless 'she' is an audiophile as well!
Thanks for the opportunity to enter - Randy

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
my sub is currently in between the front right speaker and the tv. i believe it is the optimal location sans bass traps (I used room EQ wizard to determine the smoothest location). now gimme gimme

Last edited:
wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I run a total of 3 subs .
One is a polk , Older sub , running with my main room stereo , music only ( in a corner of the room , set at 1/2 volume and freq. set almost all the way down ) .
I run the other 2 with my 5.1 setup in my TV room , they are set up one in each corner and fined , since they are cheaper subs ( one a low end JBL and the other a No name ) , they seem to do the trick in the corners . I would like to try a sub like the SB12 , that has some more power , the digital switching amp , ive have never heard before . Or else try in my Bedroom , which i do not use a sub .
Thx Brent

Last edited:
C

Clearsound

Audiophyte
I am currently "subless" and it's driving me crazy. I am in the process for saving up for an SVS sub and was considering this sub or a cylinder sub...haven't decided yet. Perfect placement for the sub would be next to the front-right main speaker as the room layout is diagonal. It would also work great behind the couch, but this would be too far from the receiver and a pain to wire in.

G

goodhiccup

Audiophyte
Sub Contest

I currently have my sub in the corner to the right of my tv. From my experience, as long as the sub is half decent, it shouldn't matter where it is placed because you shouldn't be able to tell where the bass is coming from. Being placed in a corner allows it to push air in all directions across the room as it should be. I've also placed mine up on a small piece of mdf, so that it isn't directly on the carpet, which might absorb some of the vibrations.

I'm definitely not an expert and could be very wrong, but my sub sounds good and I like it. I guess that is all that counts.

pbc

pbc

Audioholic
Currently my sub is positioned right next to the main listening position in my family room, right next to the back love seat, right hand side in the corner. Thankfully enough this actually is a pretty good position, based on the "put the sub in the listening position and walk around with an SPL in your hand" test! I say thankfully enough because it's pretty much the only position I can put the sub in my room, due to sub size and, of course, "WAF"! I do appear to have a bit of a room null in the 50 - 60hz range (get a dip of a few db there) that can't be fixed with an P-EQ.

A better position would probably be directly opposing where it is now, i.e., front right, but due to the width of the current sub and size of my fronts that is not a possibility right now. On the other hand, that SB12 may just "fit" the bill on this one!! :cool:

P

pjviitas

Audioholic Intern
Not that my sub is capable of doing much anway, mine is in a corner.

Hedgehog

Kyle Lorenz

Kyle Lorenz

Junior Audioholic
I have two subs that are on the left and right side of the tv which are partially in the corner. I put the subs there because there are two couchs on both sides of the room as well so a sub will take care of each couch and visa versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis