Enter to Win: SB12-Plus from SVS – Canadian Residents Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
In the latest in the “We review it, You win it” series, SV Sound is offering one (1) SB12-Plus subwoofer to eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this contest thread.

Contest question: Tell us where you currently have your sub(s) placed in your room, and where you think the perfect placement would be. If those two locations aren’t the same, what are the reasons you can’t place the sub optimally? WAF? Furniture? Room size? Sub size? Etc.

Note this contest ends on November 30th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dloweman

Audioholic
SB 12 sub

I currently have my sub placed between my tv and my front right speaker. I think this is the best place for it, however i may try a couple of other spots (one corner, or between front left and tv). This sub would be great with my system and can't wait to see who wins it.
Derek

E

efzauner

Enthusiast
I currently do not have a sub.
My 2 Klipsch LaScala's and 4 Heresies have been good. But I am missing out on deep bass. I would put it anywhere along a wall abit away from the wall. I cannot put it in the middle of the room .

Thanks

EZauner

Canada North

Canada North

Audioholic Intern
Sub Placement

I don't have a sub as of yet. I'm waiting to save up the money for a new surround system and AV reciever. Right now I'm using two very large and very old speakers(1980's) as left and right channel speakers with small bookshelf speakers for surround. I would love to get rid of these clunky huge speakers and they will be breaking down soon. The rubber(?) around the 14" woofers is starting to dissinigrate.

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
I have a crappy Pioneer sub that comes with HTiB 5 years ago. It is being placed in the corner of the living room, next to my left speaker. I believe it is also the optimum place for bass.

I also have a better pair speakers in my "listening"/music room and I have been wanting to buy a good subwoofer to go with them. But a good subwoofer costs a lot and the shipping would be around $180 bucks to ship from the US. I really hope I win. :p

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Boo Ya!

I have my subs located in Opposite corners. It helps even out the bass response, without using external EQing.

I like my subs in different locations for music and movies. I prefer nearfield for movies, and between my main and TV (either side) for music.

I have 2 subs ATM, so opposing corners is the best setup for me.

SheepStar

Last edited:
farscaper

farscaper

Audioholic
I have my sub placed about 3 feet from a corner and about 8" from the wall. I have moved it a few times but this area seems to be close to the sweet spot for the room. I've been lucky because its now in a place where my wife approves and it doesn't draw attention to itself or compels my kids to play with it. You would be surprised how many Polly Pockets can fit through an open port.

P

paul dorion

Audiophyte
I currently have my sub in the front right corner. Size constraints prevent many options. A sub with a smaller footprint would allow me 4 or 5 other locations to try. Thanks. Paul

A

ahdeeoh

Enthusiast
Currently have sub placed on left side beside seating position (corner), this creates a small hump @ approx. 60 Hz. Would like to place it on front wall to smooth out response but room is small and other seating currently occupies this space.

K

Kruncher

Enthusiast
My little 8" sub is currently adjacent to the front right speaker. I think it would be best placed in the middle of the left wall, but a large armoire precludes this as it cannot be placed elsewhere within the house, much less the room. I've had in the rear left corner but it's boomy there. This L-shaped room is a constant challenge, but I'm stuck with it. Dual subs would undoubtedly help to even out low frequencies.

Thanks,
Kruncher

S

satish536

Audioholic
Presently i have my sub places exactly next to my reciever in the back corner. The ideal place would be the front corner near one of the towers, i cant do that as the wiring becomes too long and messy.

Satish

H

Hans

Audioholic Intern
Mine is located between my right front speaker and my audio rack, on the right side wall, about two feet from front speaker, 6 inches from the wall. And yes, the WAF was considered in designing the room. I'm very satisfied with the result. That being said, if I had two subs, i'd try opposites corners.

After reading so much about you subs, it'd be great to finally hear one in my small corner of the world!

B

Berty52

Audioholic Intern
I tried several location for my sub and the best place, in my case, is in the left back corner of my room at about 7 feet from my main sitting place.

N

Neal Moorhouse

Audiophyte
enthusiast

I currently have a paradigm PS-1000 which is great for movies and not so great for music. I currently have it in an L shaped room about 10 feet from the corner on a 24 foot wall with the ports facing into the room. This seemed to give the best response without sounding as boomy as it did in the corner.

S

Audiophyte
My sub is currently beside my left front speaker. WAF pretty much dictates is placement. However, I did have a chance to experiment and did not find much difference in the results by the front speaker or on the sides of each room. I have a large livingroom with an open floor plan.

colin.p

colin.p

Audioholic Intern
"Contest question: Tell us where you currently have your sub(s) placed in your room, and where you think the perfect placement would be. If those two locations aren’t the same, what are the reasons you can’t place the sub optimally? WAF? Furniture? Room size? Sub size? Etc. "

I have two subs. The main one (athena) in the front right corner, the secondary (Quest) on the left side right in front of my couch.
The room I have my equipment in is 12X12, the back wall (where I sit) is open to a 12X24 kitchen/dining room. My main sub is an athena AS-P6000 that I have set at 60hz or so, then the secondary sub I have set at full frequency.
The idea is that the athena looks after the lowest frequencies (25hz or so on a good day), and the Quest sub I use as an MBM (stole the idea off DR HSU, sorry) and it kicks in at 35 hz or so, and goes up to the cut off on my Panny at 100hz.
It actually sounds quite good for what I paid for it and I have enough bass to fill that large of an area. If I run both full frequency,the bass is annoying.
I think that where I have the subs is the optimum placement,however if I won the SVS, then disregard all the above LOL.

Colin

D

DrPainMD

Audioholic Intern
I have my sub placed in a corner in the front of the room as suggested by the manufactuer. It found its own sweet spot.

R

ralphmcw

Audiophyte
My sub is placed between my TV and front left speaker. I have a very small living room with quite a lot of furniture so there aren't many options. I could put it in the front or back left corner of the room but I am assuming that putting it in a corner will only make it more boomy than it already is. It is more of a random rumble emitter than a subwoofer. This seems to be a problem with this sub (athena AS-P4000). I am quite unhappy with it and as a result I haven't played too much with placement because I would probably just get frustrated and end up placing it in the garbage can. Now that this thread got me thinking about it I will try those locations I mentioned (the corners, not the garbage can) just to make sure it doesn't improve the sound. Might as well try to make the most with what I have seeing as how a new sub isn't in the budget right now. Last time I buy a sub because it matches the rest of my speakers (athena audition series, which I am very happy with for the price).

N

Neil Erickson

Audiophyte
Optimal sub placement

Hi,
(This is my first post.)
I have had the pleasure of owning and listening to an SVS PB10 for the last year. It has been in two different rooms, approximate sizes;18'by13'by7'ceiling and 26'by12by9'ceiling.Thru extensive listening and compulsive nit picking and my wife's approval the sub has been placed directly behind the couch with excellent overall effect .The couch in turn is centrally located 12' from the screen.There are two attributes of this placement that I lfeel make it the best placement.The mechanics of the little slammer actually vibrate the couch and can be felt.adding to the overall enjoyment .Secondly the lower midrange that tends to emerge(distractingly) from the sub are greatly reduced.Cheers

J

jimmy13

Enthusiast
I currently have a my sub placed in the front left corner of my listening room, about 6" from each wall. I have attempted several locations in my room. The best placement seems to be between my front left speaker and the center but my sub - this is where I have the best musical response. However, WAF has forced me to slide the sub into the corner where I have a +4db peak around 30hz or so which I can't seem to get rid of. Could be the radiators on the sides of the sub too close to the wall? (it's a 14" Definitive sub). Movies are still great with this placement but music (which is my real passion), just doesn't sound as smooth as it should be. Another disadvantage to both the sub and it's current placement is that it isn't as "tight" as I'd like it for my music. I really look forward to hearing the winner's opinion of this sub. I think the 12" driver would be a great improvement to my low end accuracy for music, without compromising movie action. I've always been interested in hearing an SVS...... hope to win this one!!! :) Cheers, Jimmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis