Enter to Win: SB12-Plus from SVS – Canadian Residents Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Holy cow

I didn't know we had that many people living in Canada:p? Where are all you guys when something isn't free:D ;) .
I think we should have a post limit :). LOL:D

Last edited:
H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
>>Tell us where you currently have your sub(s) placed in your room, and where you think the perfect placement would be. If those two locations aren’t the same, what are the reasons you can’t place the sub optimally? WAF? Furniture? Room size? Sub size? Etc.

The sub will be placed front mid wall right side inside the right main speaker. I would love to stick it in the right corner but that is where my bass trap is with an AV rack situated right in front of it.

Thanks!

L

leaguer1leafs

Enthusiast
I have two subs - they are placed in the two front corners of the room...placement seems optimal for my fairly square room....have tried many different locations and this seems best...I like the dual subs as opposed to one bottom troller....just my $0.02.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Canuck Corner

I've got my 10" in a corner beside the right front tower. I'm trying to make the most of it's small size with some bass reinforcement and that's what the manual recemmended. It's also a fairly simple rectangular room with only one openeing at the opposite corner.

It's interesting that SVS recommends corner placement, no muss, no fuss. I like that. Realistically, I think most non dedicated HT rooms are limited in placement. I'm constantly amazed they design homes without any thought given to Home Theatre. Like it or not, TV and gaming is the hearth of the modern home. Even Frank Lloyd Wright didn't see that one coming.

H

Hoser

Audiophyte
no sub, yet, but it would be in a sub-optimal corner so as to minimize the risk of falling into my toddlers' path of destruction...

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
I have my sub sitting to the outside of the left front tower speaker. Ideally, I would like to put it in the corner of the room which is about 4 feet away, but, we have a nice piece of furniture there that my wife thinks should be there.

J

JKL1960

Audioholic
My current system is all crowded into a small living room but I am building a new theater room. This sub would be nice in there.

Currently my sub is between the center and right main. I don't need the help of a corner location and find that near the center helps reinforce low frequencies from the center.

P

pmoney

Audiophyte
Currently my sub is place b/w my front right speaker and my furniture housing my rec/sat/ps2/dvd in the front center of the room
Perfect placement would be out of site on the other side of the room but right now it is a cabling nightmare as flooring is new and it would be difficult to make it work

Just upgraded my AVR last year to Yammy 2600 and looking for new speakers/sub this year
I have a mirage sat system with sub for my main room that I will probably move to my bedroom
Running wharfedale diamonds in zone 2 (basement) and AR outside for zone 3

This sub would be a great start

Brent

C

czuger

Audiophyte
I currently do not have a sub.
I have 5 identical paradigm reference Studio 60 V3's, bass response from that is pretty good, but I am certaintly missing out on the lowest freqencies.
A subwoofer will go to the front-right corner of the room.

O

OilerFan

Audiophyte
My sub is located three feet from the front wall, in the middle (which is two and a half feet under my center channel). This was the best placement, as it gave the tightest bass response to best match my Magnepan speakers.

Darren

Saint

Saint

Junior Audioholic
sub

I keep my sub next between the left main and the t.v....

When I can afford it, I will either buy a similar or identical sub for next to the couch for double subwoofer power. I'd rather do this than buy a single larger sub, because this might actually be cheaper, and due to the size of the room I feel it would help even out the bass.

cripplecrow

cripplecrow

Audiophyte
I currently have my sub in the same plane as my front towers, which is not the worst spot - however I believe if I could place it on the wall perpendicular to to the towers i would have a flatter response.

My soon to be was not so over joyed about the size of my current sub, Axiom EP500, and as such will not entertain any ideas of movement at the moment. Man how she would love to see another "giant speaker" enter our humble home....

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
I don't own a sub :(

I've been piecing together my A/V system, and the subwoofer is last on my list of main pieces to get. Thankfully, I've got everything else now, so the subwoofer is next.

Imagining I've finally commited to purchasing (or winning?) a sub :D and looking at the layout of my entertainment area, I've really only got 3 choices unless I use my sub as a coffee table, which is probably a bad idea.

1. Between my television and the right main speaker.

2. To the left of my left main speaker, against the left wall, near an aquarium, obstructed by a couch.

3. Right side of the back wall behind the couch.

I guess the best thing to do is experiment with placing the sub in available spots and stick with the one that sounds best and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

P

Pat D

Audioholic
Corner placement

Tom Andry said:
Contest question: [/B]Tell us where you currently have your sub(s) placed in your room, and where you think the perfect placement would be. If those two locations aren’t the same, what are the reasons you can’t place the sub optimally? WAF? Furniture? Room size? Sub size? Etc. [/I]
We have two subs, a large one in the main stereo system in the living room area and a small one in the 2.1 HT system in the family room. Both of our subs are placed in a corner.

According to an article by Tom Nousaine, putting the subwoofer in the corner generally results in the flattest and deepest response. Nothing in my experience contradicts this. Corner placement also keeps the sub out of the way, out of traffic patterns, and less visible.

The big 15 inch Paradigm PW-2500 sub in the main stereo system, which is in the living room part of an open concept kitchen/dining room/living room area, is placed in the left rear corner beside the sofa, although the picture window is close enough to lessen the efficacy of the corner placement. It works quite well down to below 20 Hz although it could be fuller on the 32 foot organ pedals. We put plants and pictures or figurines on the top. The corner gets sufficient light for low light plants such as a Chinese Evergreen or an Aspidistra (how many of you have an aspidistra?), although we rotate them every once in a while.

In the family room, we have a (currently) 2.1 HT system facing diagonally out from a corner, with the smaller subwoofer, a 10 inch Paradigm PDR-10, in the corner to the right. My wife wanted a smallish sub because it had to fit behind a small overstuffed chair. I had thought of getting a somewhat larger and more powerful sub, but the salesman suggested that we really didn't need a Paradigm PW-2100, that this one would be quite adequate for LF effects in movies. We tried it and this proved to be correct, so we kept it. It does Godzilla footsteps quite nicely. The small SVS sub will outperform it, though, as would a Paradigm PW-2100.

E

ehurnie

Junior Audioholic
I am piecing my system together and do not have a sub yet. If I had one I would place it in the center right below my screen. The optimal place would be in one of the corners but I am unable to place it there because of the layout of the room.

S

slickster

Enthusiast
Subwoofer Placement

The way my system is currently configured, the subwoofer is placed next to my right front speaker roughly 2 feet away and about 4 inches from the wall.
I have found that this spot in particular for my setup works well, a solid amount of bass without sounding wavey or irritating to the ear.

Ciao for now.

mossman

Audiophyte
im using a my 12' velodyne sub just right of my tv about 2 feet and the bass in that postition is best for my room. very deep...shakes everything, just how i like it!

J

jmritchie

Audiophyte
No Sub Yet

Unfortunately don't have a sub yet. My Energy Veritas fill my Apt. well, but it would be nice to add a sub. (Though not sure how the people living under us would feel!!!) When I get one, i'll be placing it just to the left of my TV, between the TV stand and my left speaker. My Apt. isn't very big, so not a lot of room for proper placement, hope to get a house soon.

jsheeler

Audiophyte
I currently have my DIY Shiva Sonosub to the right rear of surround speakers. I am very limited on space in my condo so this is one of a few spots I have tried so far. Ideally I would like to have it in the corner beside the left surround speaker, I just have to get around to re-arranging the entire room!!

Jeff Sheeler
--
Eh

L

lubmar

Enthusiast
I currently do not have a subwoofer.
I would put it behind the couch, maybe under.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis