Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

auujay

Audioholic Intern
Tom Andry said:
Contest Question: What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)? Monitor, Planar, Horn, In/on wall, etc.? If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?
I have BIC America DV62si which are bookshelf speakers, so I guess "monitor" would be the choice. My speakers cost about $125. I figure to justify an upgrad I would have to spend about $300 bucks from one of the ID dealers, maybe more for a regular retail speaker.

R

RudeDog

Enthusiast
Right now my mains are 2-way cone floorstandings (Axiom).

From what I've seen, $800/pr seems to be a minimum for decent floorstanders. I wouldn't go higher than $2k.pr.

T

tiggers

Enthusiast
Contest Question: What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)?
I have full monitor speakers, with an additional mini-planar sitting on top for the highs.

If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?
$1000 minimum up to $2500.

Anymore and I think the law of diminishing returns becomes a huge factor unless my career/life depended on it :p

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Answers? I have answers.

I am currently using Event monitors but find the compromise of a near field monitor does not work in my space. Without actually hearing them and relying solely on reviews I would consider the Axiom M22 v2 or possibly the M50 v2.

With a value of $850 to $1,500 per pair there appears to be no downside to these speakers.

Yummy, WAF and great sound reporduction.

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
Rives Adio TEst CD

Fornt speakers are bipolar towers.
I would think about $1500 on front speakers would be reasonable today.

B

bluecaps

Enthusiast
Contest Question: What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)? Monitor, Planar, Horn, In/on wall, etc.? If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?

I have infinity alpha 40s as my main speakers. They are bookshelf speakers with 6.5 woofer and 1" dome tweeter.

I would spend around $1500 to upgrade my speakers.

R

redcaps

Audiophyte
Contest

I've got two towers - Polk RTi10's with a single soft dome, a 6.5" midbass driver, and twin 7" sub bass drivers.

If I was buying new mains (they'd have to match my other 5 speaker which are Polk BTW), I'd basically have to sell my entire 7.1 setup. I would look for more efficient speakers (something 91dB or higher and 8 ohms), most likely a bookshelf since the subwoofer takes care of most of the sub 120Hz bass anymore. I would think a good pair of bookshelves could be had for under $180 each (maybe $500 - $600 for an entire 5 speaker setup).

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis