Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)? Monitor, Planar, Horn, In/on wall, etc.? If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?

Currently i have ascend book shelf speakers. if i were to upgrade i think it would takes $700-800 for the mains to get an acceptable boost in performance

S

swm6500

Audiophyte
I currently have a Bose Lifestyle 50 that will be replaced this year. I am looking at several brands at the moment. I would think I could get something to satisfy me at around $1500 for a speaker system.

Looking at some of the other posts, I am obviously not as picky as some of the posters. 3K for a pair of speakers just blows me away.

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Contest Question: What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)? Monitor, Planar, Horn, In/on wall, etc.? If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?
Our mains are large bookshelf speakers. Each has an 8-inch woofer, a 3/4-inch titanium dome tweeter, and a 1/2-inch polycarbonate tweeter. The cabinet is a bass-reflex. I think I'd have to pay $1000+ per pair to do significantly better than this duo, though not every $1000+ pair would be good. For example, I heard and hated the B&W 705s. I'd choose mine over them.

Chris

J

jas ly

Enthusiast
I have floor standing PSB

A side from getting an amazing deal... I think I could find a set of bookshelf speakers for $500 I would be happy with.

J

jsanfilippo5

Junior Audioholic
Currently using boston acoustics CR67 for mains, in th eprocess of upgrading now.. I would say that an exceptable replacement for these speakers would cost me any where from $200 - $500.

dingrr

Audiophyte
Currently in use are Usher monitors. If I were in the market for new, I suppose I'd be looking at $1,000 - $1,500 minimum up to around $3,000.

S

snowy1

Enthusiast
give away

i am currently using large floor standing polk audio speakers sda srs 1.2 tls. to upgrade i think would be in the 4-5k range. REGARDS SNOWY1

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I have some selahaudio rc2 monitors. To replace these I would need to spend about $500 or more for another monitor from selahaudio.

eatadonut

Audiophyte
What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)? Monitor, Planar, Horn, In/on wall, etc.? If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?

Athena b1.2 bookshelf-type speakers. My next speakers will be tower/floorstanding, and I expect to spend $1600-2000.

mcleod

Audiophyte
I am running the Axiom m80's with an EP 500 sub.
If I were to replace them, I would expect to spend $2000-$2500 for the mains.

R

raf1005

Enthusiast
Contest Question: What type of speakers are your mains (left and right channel)? Monitor, Planar, Horn, In/on wall, etc.? If you were to shop for new main speakers (for either a two channel or home theater setup) what would you think you'd have to spend to get an acceptable quality of speaker?

Floorstanding JBL E100's. They are probably the best sounding sub-$500 pair available. So $500 is acceptable

J

jwood966

Audiophyte
My current L,C,R speakers are the Velodyne CHT Front Row system. (Monitor style).

If I upgraded, I would be looking in the $200-400 range per speaker. I think that "acceptable" sound (for me) can be found in that range.

Though av123's stata mini is extremely tempting at $2k/pair.

O

owasse

Audioholic Intern
My mains are monitor speakers. If I were to purchase new, I would spend around $1,500.

ziggster

ziggster

Enthusiast
rives audio contest

at the moment i'm using a pair of old school klipsch heresy 2's as my front mains. I have a pair of deftech BP8's on order at the moment and plan to move the heresys to anouther room. If I were to upgrade the BP8s I wouls prob look to spend about $2000-3000 for the pair.

M

misterkit

Enthusiast
Currently my main speakers are 10 year old JBL's floor standers. I am actually shopping now for a 7.1 system and am budgeting about 5k for it. I think that a decent set of fronts will cost about 1500/pair.

Tom Andry said:
Rives is giving away three (3) Rives Audio Test CD 2 this month in our dedicated forum contest.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the questions in this contest thread:

Note this contest ends on January 31st 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
sleeper

sleeper

Audioholic Intern
Testing...

My main system consists of monitor-type speakers. I'm glad to say that to get an acceptable quality of speaker you can spend as little as $300-$400 a pair. At least that's what I'm understanding reading some of the reviews here at Audioholics.

I love you guys...:p

sleeper

S

se-riously2

Audioholic Intern
Currently using AV123 Ref 0.5's monitors for front left and right. $200-$300 will get you a very acceptable system, especially a pair of X-LS or X-CS.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
I am currently using 6 Electrovoice FR12-2, and a JBL Pro SP222 for my center. They are Monitors, and have very poor WAF.
I have to sell them soon, and buy something prettier. :(

I am looking at spending $3k-$5k total for LCR.

Reorx

I

Ironman1

Audiophyte
Legacy Audio

I running Legacy Audio Signature IIIs for my mains (8 driver, 4 way floorstanders rated 20-20kHz). They are awsome speakers! To upgrade/replace them I'd look for some used Legacy Audio Whispers which can be had for around $8k-$10k.

B

BabelFish

Full Audioholic
I don't really have fronts right now. Well, I guess you could say that I currently have Circuit City DCM10 that I got when I was in High School. :)

I am currently looking at purchasing my mains and I am averaging $1799 for a pair of good mains.

But I am a novice when it comes to this. :) Still much to learn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis