Enter to Win: PureLink $299 Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senior Audioholic
[*]Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

:eek:OMFG:eek: $300 for 10 feet of fiber? I had no idea.

I see a lot of copper in my future:eek:

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
Fiber Optic Cable Solution

I was not aware that the cost for a 10 ft run of fiber would be around $300, but then again, the conversion from analog is the big factor.

I would love to try it, and have a Pioneer Elite 1120 HD Plasma that accepts HDMI and DVI inputs, so I'd be a good test case to convert. (Not so subtle hint...) ;)

Thanks for continuing these contest opportunities.

N

nosaj

Enthusiast
No

That is amazing. I did not even know I could hook up my HDTV with fiber optics.

T

Tom Good

Audiophyte
I had no idea of costs. I guess I'm about to find out soon how that compares though

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
PureLink wants you to win a Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System!

We’re giving away a ten foot run of our OC-003 Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System to one (1) randomly selected winner ($299 MSRP) that respond to the question below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this forum:

1. Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?
  2. Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our PureLink's Free Digital Connectivity Audit
Note this contest ends on January 30th 2006. The winner will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
No.

Yes. Shopping now for HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Q1. Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

A1. No, but still sounds pretty expensive to me.

Q2. Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our PureLink's Free Digital Connectivity Audit

A2. Not really ready to go totally digital yet .... I'll get confused later.

D

deecue

Enthusiast
1. I wasn't even aware of DVI over fiber, but $299 does seem steep for it. I'm sure your signal might be cleaner and more square, but as long as the bits are getting there without dropouts, I find it hard to invest in fiber unless I'm running it 50 ft + which is practically never. It also seems that HDMI will be taking over eventually, so investing this much in to DVI seems difficult as well..

2. Nope... Digital just makes sense to me for some reason.. Maybe it's because I'm a computer nerd.. :) Right now I'm pretty much 75% digital...

B

Babyface

Enthusiast
1. I didn't realize DVI cables were available in copper and fiber optic. I guess I should have assumed given digital coax and toslink options. $299 does seem kind of pricey. Top of the line DVI cables from audioquest are not much more than that. Even monster cables over priced stuff is close to the same.

2. Not really confused about digital, more cautious. Like CDs I think new digital technologies will take a little while to mature and become better and more cost efective than all the analag ones, but I hope one day I only need to run 1 hdmi cable from whatever component into my receiver.

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
1) I did not know that, good price....

2) I know exactaly how to set it up :)

A

albasbal

Enthusiast
1.) No, I didn't know it was $299 for fiber optic connectivity. Last I checked it was much more.

2.) I'm not confused about connecting my system. Currently I am running component from my DVD player to TV and HDMI to DVI from my terrestial HDTV tuner to the TV.

F

freejeep

Enthusiast
Tom Andry said:
[B
  1. Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

1. I'm pretty new to the home theatre world. Just moved into a new house and am planning out my 1st dedicated home theatre. I really haven't gotten too deep into the "cableing" part of the setup yet as I am just now finalizing my equipment "wish" list.

Tom Andry said:
    [B
    1. Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system

1. My current plans include:

Panasonic PT-AE900U projector
      Denon 3805 Receiver
      Denon 2910 DVD
      PS2
      My current gaming computer

Thats it so far, although I'm sure the list will grow in the future.

I'm sure more will

279BLUE

Enthusiast
No, I did not know this.
2. Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our PureLink's Free Digital Connectivity.
Not really confused just uninformed. If I win it for free I will cetainly learn how, but i do not have a good system, YET.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
1. Yes, i have seen them on the dvigear site. Not sure why you would pay 3 times what a good copper and silver cable costs, and you get a 5meter run.

2. Not confused, already mostly digital in my setup.

E

ericlhyman

Audioholic Intern
1. Did not know, but am unsure of the observable value.

2. Sony ruby and HD Tivo

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
1. Yes.
2. I got the connectivity audit information a while ago, but am reviewing several changes in equipment so there will be some differences. We'll see.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?
No, and at those prices I have no interest in using fibre instead of copper for digital transmission.

Tom Andry said:
Confused about how to go digital?
No, I currently run a 23 foot copper DVI signal to my digital display, for significantly less than $299. My cable has been tested to handle 1080p without any signal problems.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
stiletto pat said:
I was not aware that the cost for a 10 ft run of fiber would be around $300, but then again, the conversion from analog is the big factor.
The conversion from analog to digital, if there was any at all, would be done at the electronics you are plugging the cable into, not by the cable itself.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
No I didn't know that. In fact, Verizon has just started offering their fiber optic internet and tv service in my neighbood, which I have set to install next week, so I would be very interested in how/if this could be incorporated into my system.

My biggest problem with my home theater system was simply a lack of knowledge. With so many choices out there I spent many an hour scouring the net to find answers. Most store assistants do know much and are only interested in selling you what you don't need. Your website has been extremely helpful, giving me at the least, enough knowledge to be comfortable with my choices. Thanks!

B

blksnday

Enthusiast
1)Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?
I dont know the cost, but that price is about how much I expected.
2)Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our
Not totally confused. But I'm willing to learn more, please tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis