Enter to Win: PureLink $299 Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Things that make you go, "Whut?"

1. Based on the cost of copper and silver interconnects $299 does not seem to be too bad at all.

2. Still a bit of a luddite but I am aware of pending technologies that may actually future proof me for more than 5 years.

F

flognam

Audiophyte
1. no i did not know how much the cables are.
2.a little confused about going digital, but i am researching it as quickly as possible.

T

thundergust

Audioholic Intern
1. No. I did not know fiber optic could be used yet. 300 bucks for 10 feet is a little steep.

2. I am lacking a hdmi dvd player now, so I am using component.

X

xtremeclmb

Audiophyte
1. Had no idea it got so cheap. now just prove to me it's worth it and i'm in.

2. I assume it's no different then hooking up copper cables. but if im wrong, educate me please.

I

implicit

Audiophyte
I didn't even know you could use fiber optics for a DVI connection.

I've got an LCD Mag HX-326 TV, an Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver and a Denon DVD-756S. I'm also in the process of building a Media Center 2005 PC which will use an optical digital audio cable and a DVI to HDMI cable for video.

neal702

neal702

Enthusiast
1. I Did Not Know It Was That Resonable

2. My Rx-z9 Has No Hdmi Inputs

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic
1. No, I was unaware you could use fiber. That's an interesting concept.

2. I'm still on analog, but if I had the right equipment I would go digital for most everything.

P

PSU80

Junior Audioholic
I didn't know it was an option or what the price was. I have a Denon 2910 connected to a Samsung DLP via DVI. Other components, Tivo and cable box are run through a Yamaha RX-V2400 connected with component cables.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
1. I was unaware you could use fiberoptic.
2. I'm still analog for about 12-18 months so I have time to learn.

T

Tritonman

Junior Audioholic
Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

I didnt know you could use Fiber Optic..so that would be a no

Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our PureLink's Free Digital Connectivity Audit

I'm not confused about how to go digital. However I am not all that versed in the Fiber Optic method of digital transfer

Last edited by a moderator:
sks939

sks939

Enthusiast
1) I'm not really surprised, because 10+ ft DVI copper cables are up in that range also.

2) I'm sticking with component cabling for my 30 foot run from closet to display until the cable prices come down to the sub $100 price range.

J

jake51s

Junior Audioholic
I had heard of a fiber optic connection but though it was a specialty connection that had to be present on both the monitor and source. (I think a magazine ad led me to believe that.) I was not aware a standard connection could be used.

I am going to be installing a projector in my basement and was curious about the fiber optic connection. Depending on where I end up placing the projector I am going to have a cable run of either 20 or 30 feet. It was my understanding that the DVI/HDMI standard is not guaranteed for such a length (15 foot max?). Is the fiber optic different?

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Interesting!

Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

I didn’t even know this is an option. The price doesn’t surprise me though.

Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our PureLink's Free Digital Connectivity Audit

Well, I have a DVI output on my DVD player and a HDMI input on my HDTV. Not sure how to hook that up this way?

G

gsuen

Enthusiast
Purelink entry

Yes, I've been to the website.

No I'm not confused.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
1) Gotta be honest and say that I've never considered it. It appears that I will be able to get my source and projector close enough together to avoid a run longer than about 6 feet, but I'll have to wait and see how things work out to know for sure.

2) If it looks like the digital video run has to be longer than that, I'll certainly check this out.

S

sk60

Enthusiast

No, I was not aware.

I'm slightly confused as I am still selecting equipment.

majorloser

majorloser

I use fiber optic cables throughout my jobsite for data transmission. The cost for the cable and termination is fairly cheap. The real expense has been the fiber converters, but this cost is dropping rapidly making even short runs affordable. (and electrical isolation between components)

I would love to convert to fiber optic for my projector. It would also be nice if the fiber converter also handled the analog cables, too.

One small cable run to the projector...............:rolleyes:

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
1. No i did not.

2. No. I don't have any sources with digital out as of yet, but i'll be sure to check out connection options once i have a source.

N

naisphoo

Banned
1. No, I didn't know.
2. Oh yeah I would like to have my set up all digital but I don't have the budget right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis