Enter to Win: PureLink $299 Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
PureLink wants you to win a Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System!

We’re giving away a ten foot run of our OC-003 Self Powered DVI Fiber Optic System to one (1) randomly selected winner ($299 MSRP) that respond to the question below.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the question below in this forum:

1. Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?
  2. Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our PureLink's Free Digital Connectivity Audit
Note this contest ends on January 31st 2006. The winner will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

smketr_47

Audiophyte
No I didn't because I am new to the Home Theater crowd. Yes I am confused about hooking up my system.

W

Wiley

Audiophyte
New to Digital

Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

No, I thought it would be much more expensive, but given that digital will be the standard soon, it's good to know.

Confused about how to go digital? Tell us what you've got in your system; we'll tell you how to hook it up with our

I don't have anything requiring digital connections just yet, but will within three months as my budget finally allows for the purchase of a new pre/pro.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
1) Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?
No. I did not even know that you can use a fibre optic connection.

2)Confused about how to go digital?
I have not given it much thought. I am still in the analog world when it comes to video. My receiver does not handle digital video switching, and I like that feature of my current system. It makes for a nicer setup if your receiver switch both the audio and video signals. One remote to control them all, One remote to find them, One remote to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. :D

I am waiting for them to come up with a finish HDMI protocol. It does not incorporate DD and DTS at the moment. I am also waiting for the 1080P standard to come out (ie: copy protection for 1080P signals, similar to HDCP for the current DVI).

Therefore I see no sense in going HDMI right now. I have to desire going with DVI either, if it is going to be obsolite in a few months.

Once everything is said and done I might settle with a 1080P TV and a receiver that can switch/up-convert to HMDI.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
The price seems high to me, but then, everything to do with this great hobby does. It shouldn't surprise me that a ten-foot run costs three hundred bucks U.S., but I'm a cheapskate.

I too still live in the analog realm when it comes to video. Neither my five-year-old CRT nor my receiver has any digital video inputs. I'm debating over whether to purchase an HDTV early this year, and if I do, I'd like to ensure that it has at least two HDMI inputs. I hadn't given any thought to DVI, since you don't really see/hear much about it anymore. And I'd love to have a receiver that could transcode (is that the right word?) lesser signals to HDMI. But it might be awhile before I can afford anything like that.

I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to hook everything up when I do get into the digital video realm. It's just that the cost of getting to that point will prevent it from happening for me for a while.

cheers,
supervij

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
1. No, I had no idea of the price.

2. Still analog for video since my projector can't accept a HDTV signal. I'm waiting till I upgrade.

E

ebrius

Enthusiast
1) Never even thought about it.

2) I don't have anything that needs a digital connection, but I hope I will in the future

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
I was not aware of that. Is that cheap?

I have a hdtv and a stereo

B

biorep

Audioholic Intern
sounds nice but $300 on cables will never fly with the wifey

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I do have a dvi capable projector but no dvi source. Not sure why I would spend 300 dollars on a dvi cable that does the same thing as a 20 dollar copper one. That cable costs almost as much as my projector and I would need at least 25 feet.

A

Armbender

Enthusiast
I had no idea it was that kind of cost....and no Im pretty good on my set-up

P

Packk01

Audioholic Intern
I knew that digital was going to be more expensive

but it's not as expensive as I had expected

As to setting things up, that I am able to do...

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Contest

Did you know that the cost of connecting your HDTV via fiber optics instead of copper cables starts at just $299 for a 10 foot run?

Yes, saw the prices on your site when investigating one of your other products for a forum contest. However, I don't find fiber to be a cost effective solution for video connections under 50 feet in length. Also, a quality copper HDMI cable would transmit a multichannel audio signal along with the video in a single cable.

Confused about how to go digital?
No, I have become well informed through the audioholics site.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
1. No, because of my current set-up I had not done any reasearch of the price.

2. Still analog for video since my tv can't accept a HDTV signal. I'm waiting till I upgrade to a HD set.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I am surprised by the price! And I wish I could afford it.

I am not digital YET!...but am slowly heading that way!

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
Question 1 Reply: No, I did not know it cost $299 to buy a 10 ft fiber optic cable.

Question 2 Reply: I don't know if I am confused. In what way do you mean? I don't have an HDTV yet. I only have digital sound from my DVD player to my receiver. I use a fiber optic cable from Monster Cable and it is only 3 ft long. My equipment is listed in this reply below. I would very much like to hear your thoughts on upgrading my system to go digital.

Phil

B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Yes I know, I've looked into getting optical...
Pricy but worth it!

Yeah I'm going to go digital/optical soon...

M

MikeEckhardt

Audioholic Intern
1. I wasn't aware that fiber was $299 for 10'. Seems rather expensive, but then maybe not when you compare it to a high quality dvi cable.

2.. Gone digital!

Mike

S

s002wjh

Junior Audioholic
1).No I don't know that.

2).I got denon DVD player 2910, AVR denon 3806, and rear-projection TV that has HDMI connection. I know how to hook up with the copper digital connection, not sure if the optic is the same or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis