Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bcpar01

Audiophyte
placement and equalization

Getting "smooth" bass response in a room is not usually an easy task....but can always be accomplished with a little work. First, the mains need to have good freq response 1 octave (40hz) below the crossover point (usually 80hz). Secondly, the sub should be in the best position depending on room acoustics (google "six-pack method for subwoofer placement"). And finally, proper equalization to ensure a smooth response throughout the frequency range.

D

dlrepp

Enthusiast
in-room bass response

:cool: I believe placement is the most important but I didn't have much of a choice. I even had to find a reading lamp that matched the room decor to place upon it to please the wife. Because the placement variable was taken out of the equation, I was left with volume and crossover adjustments to make do. I used the Stereophile test cd 3's frequency tones and a ratshack meter to smooth out the response. I got it within +/- 3 dBs from 25 Hz to 200 Hz using this method. I still have one more thing to do and that is to use a Sony bass demo disc for car audio. There is a part where there is a bass line going from about 80 down to inaudible that I think I can make more continuous with some more slight adjustments.
Now those measurements were for MY seat on the couch. They are probably very different from the couch on the other wall next to my sub. I guess that is where a second sub would have more of an effect. But I'm the only one in the family who cares. So as long as I get to sit in my spot, thngs are fine with me. Dan

P

pclink427

Audiophyte
Here to gain knowledge

I am a novice when it comes to home theater so I haven't the knowledge or experience to answer the question. I have joined Audioholics Online to learn, learn, learn!! Thanks, G

P

paintrodsey

Enthusiast
Subwoofer placement is always critical to smooth response, although it doesn't fix everything. I've also used some bass absorbers to help smooth out low end response, but the bass absorbers have not always worked for me. Using a parametric EQ to help smooth out the bumps in response you couldn't get rid out passivley. The parametric EQ along with subwoofer placement seem to have made the biggest differences in the couple of setups I've done myself.

S

schaeff

Audiophyte
Smooth Bass

A product made with the best parts is the starting point for a good sub. As far as the smoothest sound, placement is one of the main factors in smooth bass response. You need to be able to move the sub around to find where the sub sounds best when it comes to filling the room. Another factor is a good equalizer which will help to smooth any response deviations. The combination of these help to make a smooth bass response throughout your listening area.

Last edited:
M

mkinder

Audioholic Intern
Room placement and choosing a quality sub. It also helps to have mains larger than a cup of coffee.

R

roSco_train

Enthusiast
I have had the best luck with trying to get the sub in the corect spot in the room, bass can chande a lot depending on where it is coming from.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
As we know, placement is key. Using multiple subs will help flatten and balance the response as well as aid in room mode issues. Acoustic treatments then EQ if needed.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
I voted for 1) Proper subwoofer placement and 2) Other.

1) Is pretty straight forward.

2) By other I would like to say that the sub's crossover and gain has to be set up to match the rest of the system. That way you get seamless blending.

Y

yellowsub

Audiophyte
Location, location, and location! Applies here as well as in the real estate industry.

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
Proper sub placement is really the key to maximize the big, rich, full bass, but also while preventing it from having a boom effect. I also chose multiple subs because i suppose it could help balance them (even though low level bass is pretty much non directional). Also isn't two always better than one :p ?

J

jimski

Audiophyte
I'm not much of an audiophile but I would think that placement is key, but more importantly having the right sub with the proper equipment driving it.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Assuming the sub "fits" the room, placement is crucial to providing the best low frequency reproduction possible.. proper placement can overcome the possible inadequacies of the sub or the room... A more discerning listener will like the capabilities that an eq provides for fine tuning the listening area...

C

Catnap

Enthusiast
I agree that placement is key but in my case I don't have that option - there is only one place in my room where I can put a sub so this is definitely a problem for me.

B

briman1001

Audiophyte
Placement and EQ

I believe that good sub Equilization to help balance the sub to the room along with testing placement in that room are the best 2 choices. Both work together in a sense but adding room treatments would also help perfect the response.

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
Placement and EQ

Placement is absolutely the number one in my opinion, but EQ is almost as important.

T

Tackleberry

Audiophyte
Proper placement and good equipment to work with the subwoofer.

B

blindcat7

Enthusiast
I think placement is key, I chose multiple subs over auto EQ as my second choice because my experience to date with auto EQ has been very hit or miss. I think I would rather have the extra headroom a second sub would give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis