Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
SV Subwoofers wants your opinion!

SV Subwoofers is giving away one (1) PB10-NSD and one (1) 20% off coupon redeemable up to 6 months after the drawing date (July 31st, 2006) to eligible forum members.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response in this contest thread:

Note this contest ends on July 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
cgk

cgk

Junior Audioholic
subwoofer

my understanding is that the room dimesions and the sub's placement within it are the largest determinant of smoothness of response. An EQ can help to smooth any peaks created by the room.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
I've also got to agree that proper placement is key. Keep moving it till it sounds goods. When you have it in the best possible spot, aesthetically and acoustically, (two things that rarely go together). Tuning becomes the critical factor. An auto EQ such as the SMS-1 can do wonders for smoothing out bass response that simply making placement changes won't help.

M

mctwist

Audiophyte
Can't honestly say I know much more than what I've read thus far, my 25-31 PCi will be hooked up soon and placed into the most acoustically appealing position possible (barring any interference with my family's furniture preferences). Given a large room's spatial dimensions, I'd guess that multiple subs would improve the effect.

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
I think that the most important factor to get a smooth bass response comes from proper placement of the subwoofer. This will take some trial and error but in order to achieve the best response you need to start with the positioning of the sub. Once you have the sub placed I think that using EQ will help in fine tuning the bass response.

rplotkin

Audiophyte
Placing the sub in a location that creates the most level response is probably the most important. Multiple subs aids this. Probably after that, minimal EQ might help with any remaining peaks or dips in the response.

G

G-force

Enthusiast
Proper location and calibration to that location are the most important steps in setting up your subwoofer. Everything after that is just getting it dialed and tuned to the specific in-room responses.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Placement, room treatments, possibly multiple subs, as well as, EQ all play a role in obtaining the flatest response depending on your room. If you're like me you are placement challenged and so all these methods might come into play.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Placement, EQ, and adding the right subwoofer to the room.

T

TheBattler

Audiophyte
It is Definitely subwoofer placement, but I think simplifying it by advising "just put it in a corner"; Is the wrong impression to give someone less knowledgeable. Impediments such as windows, doors, frames and moldings may offer a decrease in performance. Thus proper testing and upgrades to the location in question (panels, calibration and auto calibration systems) also have a large stake in a desirable output.

The two most important factors (a little broad)

1. Placement
2. Calibration

S

squire.10@osu.e

Audioholic Intern
Certainly the most important factor along with placement is proper acoustical treatment of the room. Equalizers are most effective when used to make small adjustments to a room where the major acoustical room modes and anomalies have already been addressed with bass traps and proper placement of acoustical panels. This is especially true for controlling the low fequency material reproduced by the subwoofer(s).

N

noleincol

Audiophyte
Sub placement should be the first means to attempt flat response, followed by EQ to smooth remaining dips and peaks.

Slats

Slats

Junior Audioholic
Other: Treating the evil corners of a room should come before using multiple subs in my opinion.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
From my own experience, and the experience of others, the placement of a subwoofer seems to have a dramatic effect on the overall response. Room gain due to boundary distance will change, as will modes excited or other stuff like that.

But sometimes you just can't get it perfect given the available locations, and so a second subwoofer in a separate location can provide a few SPL more but more importantly compliment the response from the first sub.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
placement and dual units.
Per Audioholics, this maximized the effect of the equipment that you do have for the room auistics. Once this is done, EQ technology could be utilized... but I think these two have the most effect.

C

Craig234

Audioholic
Posting

Posting to enter contest.:) Based on reading mainly, I voted for placement and having two.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Although room placement with any subwoofer or loudspeaker is critical, unless your listening room is an anechoic (A word harder to pronounce than spell :p ) chamber, you're probably going to want some additional EQ'ing down the line.

T

Trev19

Audiophyte
Speaker placement, i gotta agree with everyone above, and i prefer a big cable for extra bass!

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
Sub placement!!! but it also can be either the most fun or the most frustrating part of settting up a system. personally I love moving things around to see how it effects the sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis