Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwin888

Audiophyte
Room placement is the key. And if your room is large enough, then multiple subs are the next step.

J

JonSilver1

Audiophyte
Proper placement is the key. The best sound is achieved when the sub is placed in the front corner of the room.

grahammc

Audiophyte
Placement

Can't say I'm a big fan of auto-EQs. Proper placement of the sub and the listening position(s) are critical and using 2 subs can make a world of difference.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
just based of prior experience, proper placement is definitely number 1. every room is different, so why would you place a subwoofer in the same spot?
my second choice was other. there was no option for picking the right subwoofer for your application, which i feel has a big impact on performance.

L

leeyongfui

Audiophyte
Proper placement of sub is the key to level bass response. I'd think the next key is getting more subs (2,4) if you have an open area or large theatre room.

W

Whip

Audiophyte
Proper Sub placement is by far the most important. Especially with all the different dynamics you can have with different rooms. EQ then helps by being able to tune it properly to bring the most out of it.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
SVS Poll

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are? Response: In the poll I voted for using an auto EQ and using five full-range speakers and no subwoofer at all, with the latter being my first choice. I think having between five to seven full-range speakers -- ones indeed capable of accurate and strong 20 hz output -- and having a home theater receiver or surround sound processor set the speakers to "large with no subwoofer" for bass management purposes would be ideal. That way, the LFE channel could be routed to all the full-range speakers across the entire sound stage, maximizing the possibility of a smooth in-room bass response. With such bass management applied to five or more true full-range speakers, there should be no weak or uneven bass response in any one listening area.

If I could have voted for a third option, I would have voted for proper subwoofer placement, which is mandatory in all circumstances. After a subwoofer is placed in its profer place, I think using an auto EQ would be very useful for a smooth in-room bass response in any surround sound system for which a subwoofer is necessary, that is, in any situation short of what I consider the ideal situation described above whereby the LFE channel is sent to five or more full-range speakers.

N

Netlook

Audiophyte
Proper subwoofer placement is the first important task when producing the best
results from any subwoofer used. If you can experiment with EQ it will also produce differently in an acoustic sizeable room.
SVS:D

Diela

Diela

Audiophyte
Room placement and cabling. EQ can't help the problems created by a crummy cable.

M

MSEQUEIRA

Enthusiast
I would definately have to say room placements is a key factor. I am also partial to view of having multiple subs working together.

S

stock_dude_99

Audiophyte
Room placement and having a good cable are the key. Even though bass is an omnidirectional source, placement is the key to getting the best bass response for your location. For example, I love boomy, obnixous bass, and I have found that by placing my (small, old and in need of replacement) subwoofer in the corner, the bass enhancing effect of the walls causes a really nice sweet spot on my couch. This is similiar to the effect of bass in cars that is really boomy. The car acts as a natural bass enhancer, allowing you to hear the car a 1/2 mile away.
The 2nd part is good a good cable. Even a PB12-Ultra can't give you awesome bass if you are feeding it distorted, noise induced signals. A good signal path IMHO, is more important than using EQ's or trying to overcompensate by turning the volume all the way up.

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Placement. To get the best response I can from the room. Then an EQ to tame the peaks and boost the valleys.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I voted Room placement, and Other, which would be room acoustics, as in use of bass traps, different materials in building the room such as acoustic drywall etc.

However Placement is of utmost importance. IMO

P

Phillip Tran

Enthusiast
Sub location and setting!

Well, I don't have a Sub yet, but my common sense said location and sub freq and volume setting are most important parameters.

Good Luck everyone!

F

ForumShopper

Audiophyte
Placement and Two Subs

For the fullest response, two subs are better than one (two PB10s would do nicely for not too much $$$) and, of course, placement is critical.

T

tol1488

Audiophyte
I voted placement and an auto eq since those are the methods I have used with some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis