Enter to Win: PB10-NSD from SVS!

What do you think the best two methods of achieving smooth in-room bass response are?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jmcmann

Audiophyte
In the room in which I have the most experience (my own of course) - a rather large and open multi-use basement space - subwoofer placement and the use of multiple subs is the key. An equalizer would of course help, but even an EQ can't overcome the mryiad of acuostic issues in my environment.

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Placement and Auto eq. Rooms aren't all created equal. You need to try different locations within the room, based on seating position, to achieve optimum sound. You paid for an auto eq. why not use it? It's a tool to help you get a base setup. From there, you can fine tune to suit your taste.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
Placement and EQ are my top 2.
5 full range speakers would be the ideal but, in reality, would come with compromises.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
just like everyone else, i think that placement is most important. DOnt want to corner load it too much, or leave it sitting in the middle of the room.

After that, out of the list i would say that EQ is next. That can help fine tune some bumps out that placement cant due to limitations of the room

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
If the sub isn't positioned in the right spot to begin with, there's no way you're going to get the best response from it. Dips in bass response are going to happen in most rooms. The dips in one sub's response maybe compensated for by another sub in a different location in the room.

F

flsalinas

Enthusiast
Subs

From my experience multiple subs, proper placement and auto eq to smooth out the response is the way to go.

B

bandit

Audioholic
subwoofer placement, proper eq, and proper phasing at and near the crossover frequency between the subwoofer and L/R speakers in the room will have the largest effect.

Bandit:)

NicS

NicS

Enthusiast
This forum is teaching me so much, I'll send my first post here.

I studied the tips here, and spent an afternoon on my knees in the basement, what you guys' said was perfectly true . Moving the sub around the room until the bass could'nt be localized from my listening position did the trick.

Thanks you guys

Nic

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Why oh why?

Placement for a sub is at least as important as for any other speaker. Giving it room the breathe will be the best option.

Multiple subs allow for two smaller devices which move air more efficiently than one large one. Reducing the requirements will smooth the sound.

IMNSHO

M

mdy

Enthusiast
I think proper sub placement and room treatments are the two most important factors for achieving smooth in-room bass response.

D

delirium

Audiophyte
Proper Place and the Right Sub

Proper sub placement is key and is different for all, some might be best placed behind the couch or in a corner but this may not work for everyone’s room layout so experimentation is required to find the best possible home for your sub.

Another important addition would be room treatments such as bass traps to offset the imperfections of your rooms acoustics.

And of course the best way to achieve smooth in-room bass response is to purchase the best sub for the job. That’s why I bought SVS's 25-31PCI.

D

D

dewseto

Audiophyte
I agree with many of the above posters - Proper placement and room treatments. Bass was much harsher before I got a rug and curtains for the room!

L

lakedmb

Audiophyte
I would say that proper room placement, to correctly calibrate your sub with the rest of your home theater.

Also, some may decide to add acoustics to create a more realistic and accurate response of the speakers and sub.

drybo

drybo

Audioholic Intern
Subwoofer placement

I voted for placement #1 then a auto eq, but in my strange case the cables were crucial due a old sub with 2 inputs and new reciever with only 1 preout. The 2 into 1 cable didnt help and never really solved the issue so I went back to a different reciever with 2 sub preouts. The quality of the sub cables were noticable also between the regular rca's in the box and a better brand.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Room placement and an EQ are most important in my opinion. Doing room crawls and lifting a heavy box to different locations are also a great workout. Since placement can be an issue due to size constraints an eq can help tame those peaks and valleys. That's just my .02.

FUHNAHTIK

FUHNAHTIK

Audiophyte
Give me the prize!

I've always said; "In a properly set-up environment, you should be able to close your eyes and point out the subwoofer. You should just feel the lovely bass all around you."

Proper Placement of a subwoofer is THE largest single thing you can do to achieve a great bass response for a number of reasons. First, and foremost; all subwoofers are different. A front-firing sub will react differently than a down-firing one, and the port size and location are almost never the same on different brands or sizes of subs.

Next, I believe a proper subwoofer cable is important as well, but perhaps (after looking at the subwoofer poll results, and really thinking it through) maybe not second out of those options (definitely third though!).

Having to answer again I would choose the Auto EQ setting, as most good receivers do have either microphone or manual calibration available, which is easy and the first thing you should do when setting up a receiver. Not only will your bass be right-on ... but even if you've positioned something improperly, this will often correct it, or you will recognize it being off by the results of the setup; and change it.

D

dbarnett37098

Audiophyte
This is what works best for me.
Proper subwoofer placement

Using an auto EQ

D

davelee98

Audioholic Intern
Multiple subs is the way to go

Due to room modes in a small to medium size room, it will be difficult if not impossible to get acceptably smooth bass response in different seating locations. Using multiple subs allows you to average out some of the more egregious dips and peaks in the room response.

T

TamaraDLeonard

Enthusiast
Proper placement is the biggest, and having 2 or 4 subwoofers would ensure good balance in a larger room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis