Enter to Win: Olive Media O3HD Media Server valued at $999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RolandButcher

Audiophyte
1) I am currently using a Synology NAS and SONOS as a music server
a) See above. I chose the Synology NAS based on a Tom's Hardware review. It is ancient, but still works. I chose SONOS based on a bunch of positive reviews.
b) N/A

2) Most important considerations:
- Easy to use - I don't want to tweak it
- Reliability - it should be bomb proof
- Self updating - constantly updates itself with new features through automatic firmware upgrades

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
- Anything that requires a lot of computer tweaking to use.

S

schaume

Enthusiast
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
Looking for but do not own.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Connectivity, playable formats, wireless (not necessarily in that order)

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? See above

Happy Holidays Audioholics everywhere!

gregt16g

gregt16g

Audioholic Intern
a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.
Currently looking for one

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
1. Ease of use
2. Compatibility
3. Wireless

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Has to be wireless

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why:
I don't know how you would consider this, but I am using an Apple Airport Express to stream iTunes. I have all my CD's finally on a hard drive (it took awhile as I have a couple thousand of them), ripped using Apple Lossless. The Airport Express is connected via fiber optic to my various AVR's around the house.

b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not. N/A?

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?

1) Ease of use, my wife needs to be able to use it with a minimum of fuss.
2) Sound Quality (definite room for improvement here over AE)
3) Compatability with iTunes/Apple Lossless or an easy way to convert from it. I don't want to re-rip CD's.

See the above Apple Lossloss/iTunes comment.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief

a) I use a Western Digital media player. I connect a portable drive to it and it streams flac, mp3 and movie formats.

Flac support, a simple user interface (I don't want a lot of extra bloat, just the basic functions) and easy connections (I like the WD because I can just connect an external drive and I'm ready to go).

Proprietary formats and required software for syncing and so-forth. Those are the main things I avoid.

L

luissuperdog

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:
Yes I am
I want one for ease of music playing
Price , quality of audio, easy to use with home automation
No ethernet or easy to use and integrate to the home automation

F

Funboy

Audioholic Intern
1) Do not own one, but am looking. Lots of CD's and MP3s on various drives - need to organize and have once central place where it can be streamed from.

2) 1 - High quality analog and digital out is by far the most important factor; 2 - upgradeable hard drive so it won't run out when it's full; 3 - ease of use

3) Dealbreakers include noisy players, perhaps no wifi availability, and, obviously, poor sound quality.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? NO

While I'm not currently using one, I do use our home computer to perform this function. I often build playlists, and then play them through our wireless Creative XMOD, which I can hook up the receiving box to whatever system in the house I want to play the music through.

a. Ease of use. I do not want to have to spend a lot of time and read lenghtly instructions to set anything up.

b. Functionality. Can it play streamed music from the computer or directly? Can you hook up external hard drives? Can you build play lists, search, etc.

c. Price. Obviously, it would have to fit within a budget - the less expensive the more likely I would be willing to consider the purchase.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? Not that I am aware.

B

bellevegasj

Junior Audioholic

Not currently using. Semi-looking for one. Not sure what features are available to meet my needs.

iPhone control integration, capacity, control features (vol, how easy it is to switch song/artist/album)

No wi-fi. Small capacity would be my main concern. I'd like to keep higher quality recordings. Price.

O

Orobug

Audiophyte
No, I am not using but I am looking to purchase one for my new HT.

A) na
b)if you are not, would you like one? why or why not
Yes, the ability to pack up my 900+ CD's and get them out of sight would be nice.

2)When purchasing a music server, which are the most important considerations to you and why?
.fLAC support first and foremost, ease of use, ability to manipulate my library/playlists from my HT TV.

3)Are there any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
added features a deal breaker? no any and all features are good. deal breaker would be if it didn't contain certain features. (for me that is .fLAC support)

R

rancarl

Audiophyte
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? I have my eyes open. A hobbyist is never satisfied with the status quo.
a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why? I use a Linksys WMB54G to connect my computer to my receiver. It's primitive compared to what is available today. Plus my computer is in an upstairs office.
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not. Well, an office computer is not much of a music server, so I'm ready to upgrade.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? Ability to play wide range of codecs, high-quality DAC, reliable manufacturer support.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? analog line-out.

P.S.: This contest ends on January 7, my birthday. Please take that into consideration.

Last edited:
engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:

yes

n/a

I would love to have a music server. I would like to hook up to my home network.

1). Wireless networking
2). Ablility to play all lossless formats
3). Search should be like viewing you hard drive.

no deal breakers

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic

I'm not looking for one right now because I value my marriage, and I'm pretty certain that my wife doesn't value high quality audio nearly as much as I do. She tolerates my hobby, but purchasing a system like this (she'd call it a toy), given all our other financial issues, would be seen as a badly timed indulgence.​

• Quality of playback. It's gotta be all about what your ears can hear.
  • Expandability. Even with a good-sized hard drive, you'll eventually start to outgrow the drive's capacity.
  • Ease of use. If the thing is a pain in the butt to operate, or if you end up with multiple copies of the same track scattered all over the place, or if it's just too dang hard to find what you want to listen to on it, then it's no good to anyone.

Gee, I really don't know enough about music servers to answer this question. My guess, though, would be a rotten user interface.​

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Yes. I use my computer with Tversity to stream media to the PS3.
Why? Because I bought a PS3 for games and it does the media too..

1. Ease of use (Wife needs to be able to run it).
2. Do not need the TV for a display. (My biggest issue with using the Ps3 for music)
3. Hold lots of music.

Can't think of any...

Q

qwerty2op

Audiophyte

I do not currently own a music server (unless you consider an iPod a music server) and I would enjoy having one for my main system. I would like to procure one for my mother so she could enjoy all of her Christmas music throughout her house without having to change the CD's in her 5 CD changer.

1 - Price - If I can build (or buy) a media server which can play music as well as DVD's, Blu-Ray's, etc. and is as or less expensive yet as good as a product which only plays CD's, than I will choose the full experience.

2 - Form Factor - If it isn't pretty, I'm not buying. I don't have a separate room for my components so I see them all the time and I like them to be attractive to my eyes.

3 - Storage Capacity - Anything less than 2TB these days is ridiculous! At least have the ability to piggy back additional hard drives. Memory is cheap!

Yes, there are two:
1 - Storage Capacity
2 - Internet Connectivity

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:
We have a Yamaha CDR with a 120GB drive. It doesn’t have nearly the functionality of a music server, but it’s nice to have so many CD’s at my finger tips.
It would be great to have a music server that does so much more.

I would like it to be able to store CD’s and HDCD’s or any other HQ formats.
I would like to be able to share the music with other rooms in my house. (wireless?)
I would like to sort the music by genre and artists etc…

I wouldn’t want one that’s loud, doesn’t function properly or is hard to use.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
No i do not have one i've tried researching for one but have been a little intimidated.Not very computer literate.But i would love to be able to hopefully afford one in the future.

Ease of use would be a high priority,the easier the better.
I would like it to be able to store CD’s and HDCD’s or any other quality formats.share music anywhere wirelessly as well.

I would want one that wouldnt be too difficult for myself or family.Really dont know enough as to what would be the best options to have.If it does what its supposed to do,then all is well.

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? No
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​
I currently use my ps3 to stream music off my computer. There are many limitations to this system however.

1. Supports multiple output streams simultaneously. I listen upstairs while my wife listens to something else in the kitchen, (just an example)
2. Ability to copy mp3's from a network or thumb drive. Having to burn a bunch of cd's to import the music would be a chore
3. Supports internet music apps such as Pandora

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? None that I know of. I am not a heavy music server knowledge base however.

S

skarydrunkguy

Audiophyte
1- b. Yes, but they're too expensive for what they do imho. We have a 6 disc changer that plays our custom audio cds and thats 480 minutes of music - usually enough for any gathering. I'd love to play more, but its not high on my priority list at all.

2.1- Storage space (it better hold everything I've got).
2.2- Ease of use (If I can't QUICKLY and EASILY do exactly what I want to do, then I'm not interested).
2.3- Physical size and looks (it had better look nice and fit with my existing system)
bonus.2.4- Cost (there is no reason for such a system to cost more than a full fledged PC)

3- Not really. It would all boil down to value for me. With streaming media servers, Pandora radio, iPod docks, etc. all being inexpensive and user friendly, a dedicated music server had better add significant value to my current setup in order for me to even consider it. They're nice to have, but not even close to a necessity now that physical CDs have all but died (imho).

T

TMack37

Enthusiast
1) Not currently looking, mainly due to lack of funds and and lack of familiarity with the concept. I have made some small attempts to get my desktop to function as a media server but I don't really have the time to get it to work as well as I want, and I think I would prefer a standalone solution instead.

2) Playback quality is king, of course. Wireless access would be number two. A solid, easy to navigate UI would probably be my third most important consideration.

3) Lack of wifi would be a large strike against a media server, though it wouldn't be an immediate deal breaker. Obviously it should be fairly presentable, so the overall look of the unit would be important. Ease of use would be big. Once I get it set up, my wife should be able to handle it without any assistance, and minimal instruction (her interest in learning tech is minimal, at best.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis