Enter to Win: Olive Media O3HD Media Server valued at $999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
Olive Media O3HD Media Server

Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
Answer. Yes been looking,could really use one.

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why
Answer. Not using one.
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.
Answer. I like the idea of making Music easer to access
2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
Answer. Sound quality , Storage capabilities,and a great looking piece 3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature).None that I can think of.Answer.

W

Whatsgoinon

Audiophyte
Olive Media contest

Just beginning the search for appropriate server

N/A
I want to organize a collection of 2500 CD's and make access more efficient (and take up less physical space!)

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
a) sound quality, including High resolution capability with audiophile quality DAC
b) user-friendliness
c) capacity

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
can't think of a feature that would be a deal breaker, unless its one that I do not need that adds considerable cost.

P

paullauth

Enthusiast
1) I am looking at the apple tv for right now but i have to invest in a better media card and some longer cales to reach my tv. ineed something to organize all my cds and mp3s.

2) sound quality, user-friendly, up-gradeable

3)none that i know of

S

Slee_Stack

Junior Audioholic
Contest Questions:

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why:
I currently have a wired and wireless network with a dedicated HTPC. I use MediaPortal to access my music and video collection.

Cost, Compatibility, and Simplicity of operation. I lack a lttle on the latter currently.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Format compatibility. Needs FLAC decoding at a minimum. If codecs were upgradeable, it would be a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deadeye

Deadeye

Audioholic Intern
Yes
My current music server is a custom built PC. with Dual Xenon CPU's 8Gb RAM 2Tb HDD with a Creative X-Fi Elite Pro running Foobar It's connected to my wired/wireless network

1. Price, the lower the better
2. Expandable storage space
3. Ability to store and play all audio files up to 24/192

Generally any kind of proprietary hardware and or software is a deal breaker.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:
Always shopping, but not heavily. Would like to try out some higher end servers.

Squeezebox. Cost effect and works very well.

SQ and ease of use.

Needs to have a remove control with a display whether provided or an app for iphone.

R

Rutlanda

Junior Audioholic
I have not looked, but I have been reading about them. It is definitely something I am considering for my two-channel rig.

b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not. - I would like to have one to consolidate my growing CD collection. The user interface and indexing would simplify the process of picking music.

Quality DACs --what's the point if there is not a digital out.
Remote Control - I really don't want to have to move :)

Insufficient storage
No remote or remote capability
Ugly
poor construction
lack of connections

R

rded

Audioholic

Yes, I would like a music server and I'm currently looking for one.

A)Sound quality B)Build quality C)Ease of use

I do not want a music server where I would have to manually burn and rip all my CDs to a computer's hard drive so I can use and stream it to the entire house.

G

greg631

Audiophyte
Contest

I'm currently using the Nuvo Music Port, but am looking to replace it....

I'm using it because it integrates with my Nuvo Grand Concerto whole
house audio system. I'm looking to replace it, because I'd like to be
able to find one that can be integrated with the GC as well as home
automation.

FLAC support - All my music is stored in FLAC
multiple streaming - I want to have different music in different rooms
third party GUI support - I want to be able to control the sys with
my iPhone and/or my home automation software

No deal breakers.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I already answered my questions I am just saying :come on Olive I wanna win one ..that is all :D

Y

yoleiric

Enthusiast
serve it up

1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? Unless you count iTunes as a music server, no.
Maybe, however, have to admit it's fairly low on the list.

1. Sound quality - this is a no brainer
2. Ease of use - if my wife can't operate it easily, it will be unplugged
3. Aesthetics - needs to look decent

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? Poor sound and/or clunky interface would be deal-breaker

A

agelessgoodguy

Audiophyte
Not Fair

I Live in Australia and am excluded because of it, NOT FAIR
I have rights too don't I?:mad:& I want one of these as well.

J

jimbobby

Enthusiast
Contest questions . . . and my answers

I suppose you could call my PC my music server as I have it hooked up to my amplifier via an HDMI -> DVI cable and an optical cable for audio. I would prefer a unit, however, that sits with my other components and doesn't require miles of cable around my house.

As already stated, I'm using my PC currently but I'd like something a little more efficient.

Yes, I'd like one. I'd like one because of a couple reasons. One, I'd like to have all my music in one, easily accessible place. Two, I'd like something that sits with my other components so I don't need long cables.

• sound quality
  • storage options
  • price

I wouldn't buy a server without an upgradeable hard drive. It's got to be future-proof (if anything really is these days).

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Contest Questions:
No - currently do not own or use a music server. However, one would be nice to have. It beats using a mp3 player as a music server as I am unable to put all of our music onto a single mpr3 player.

I don't own one so this is tough. I haven't researched it either. But here goes:
1. storage - has to have the storage capacity for long-term music acquisition, at least 500Gb or 1Tera.
2. obsolescence - If I buy one, I don't want it to be obsolete in a couple of years. Needs to be able to still be relevant in 5+ years. Not easy with technology but it is a factor.
3. Input/output - will work with many systems with many options. Analog out, digital out, ethernet capable, wi-fi capable, etc.

Again, I have not done research. But I would avoid any server that uses compression. Some compression is better than others and the poor compression really hurts my ears. So I prefer no compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cory

Audiophyte
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​

Yes, I am looking for one. I am currently stumbling forward with playing my music remotely on iTunes and piping the audio to my AVR on the other side of the house, or for the FLAC files I have, playing them on my Western Digital media player; neither method is really very refined.

Audio quality, user interface/experience, and compatibility. I do not want a unit that can not playback at least at the same quality that my PC or media player can already. The ability to browse, add to playlists, compile different playlists, and generally navigate through the library is important. I prefer a unit that will play not just MP3 and apple formats, but also FLAC and perhaps other formats.

Yes, if it did not support either of these:
- 24bit/96k (or 192k even better)
- network connectivity (I prefer to play off NAS drive over offline USB drive)
- if it does not have a good user interface

Thanks,
Cory

O

Ohmen

Audioholic
Yes, I have a pc that is used as a media server. I use TVersity software on the pc.
I use a pc that streams the music/video to 3 possible devices. My Playstation 3, my Yamaha RX-v2700 and my Pioneer plasma TV are all networked and media server aware.
I think I would want one that has a quick menuing system so I can look through my music without delays. I would like a large amount of storage. I would like a menu that is easy to understand so guests at my house can browse through my collection of media without me hovering over them having to show how the menu navigation works.
3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?The only thing I can think of is a server that had to many audio file type limitations or a music server that had issues with the features I listed as important in question 2.

M

martincn

Audiophyte
1) a) No
b) I love music, and have a very sizable collection. It would be nice to have a media server to provide easy access to it all.

2) 1) sound quality (no brainer)
2) ease of operation - I'm fairly media savvy, but I don't want something too complex
3) speed - I wouldn't put money into it if it wasn't able to quickly process requests and operate without any hiccups

3) Not necessarily . . . I mean, I suppose if it were wired that'd be a deal breaker, but then, why would a server be wired? Poor performance in areas listed above would also be a concern.

T

tgoyette

Audioholic Intern
Contest Questions:
1) I currently use a Logitech Duet

2) Top three considerations: sound quality, ease of function (nice remote, wireless capability), reliability

3) For my uses, a remote is closest to a deal breaker though if it sounded nice enough I might overlook it.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:

I currently use the Escient Fireball SE-80. Why? My wife fell in lust with it. One our local ADs was using it in a demo room and she had to have it.

I also use an old Archos AV-700. Why? My wife fell in lust with it and had to have it.

I also have a PS3 that I can use as a server if/when it can detect my laptop. Why? BD player, server, games, etc.

1. My wife must like it. See above.
2. It needs an OSD with a logical menu and easy track selection. The Archos has a terrible menu layout and is difficult to select tracks or make playlists. I'm unlikely to by another Archos product after all these years just because this old thing is so user un-friendly.
3. It should have multiple options to load tracks by disc, usb, ethernet/network connection, preferably in any common format. The Escient uses a proprietary format that can't be played on other devices, such as the PS3, kind of makes the Escient a one trick pony.

More features would not prevent me from choosing a server. The more features the better. Lack of features, like limited connectivity and formats or lack of a decent interface would drive me away. Bearing in mind that I am virtually a technological illiterate, simplicity and ease of use for the features that are included would be a key selling point.

K

kortex

Audioholic Intern
1)
Yes I am looking. I have not decided whether to just use a computer or buy a music server. I would love to have one.

2)
ONE...Ease of use. If it's a dedicated music server, it sure as hell better be easy to use.

TWO...Sound quality. If it just plays what my computer (without external DAC, etc) can play, I would rather save the money and re-purpose an old PC/MAC to act as a music server.

THREE...Capacity. The capacity should be large and upgradable. Ripping to 24/192 audio can take up a lot of space. Option to hook up to a NAS would be nice.

3)
It needs to support 24/192 audio, be beautiful in design and easy to use. It should also support transfer of MP3 files not just CD ripping.

P.S. Want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis