Enter to Win: Olive Media O3HD Media Server valued at $999!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Olive Media wants you to win!

Olive Media is giving away the chance to one (1) Olive O3HD music server to one (1) eligible forum member! Setting up the Olive O3HD Music Server is as simple as connecting a standard CD player. Once installed, anything you want to do is easy: Find your favorite song. Search by artist, genre or album, or leaf through the album artwork. The Olive O3HD Music Server has a built-in, ultra-quiet hard drive with a storage capacity of 500GB. This means that the Olive O3HD can store your entire CD collection in a box the size of a standard CD Player. Storing HD music is one thing. Reproducing it in all its unique detail is another. The O3HD is a direct result of Olive's long-standing and highly respected audio engineering experience. That means you always get state-of-the-art audio components, including a premium DAC with full 24-bit/192 kHz capability. This contest represents a $999 value!

Features:
  • High-resolution Cirrus Logic DAC (192khz/24-bit)
  • Ultra-quiet 500GB AV hard drive (Holds almost 5,000 HD tracks or 1,500 CDs in original quality)
  • 1x Wired Gigabit Ethernet
  • High-resolution (480 x 272 pixels) 4.3" wide-aspect ratio touch-screen
  • Passive cooling without noisy fan

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence and 3) Answer the following questions in the thread below.

Contest Questions:
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server?
a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.​

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?

Note this contest ends on January 7th, 2010. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
1) Not currrently looking for or using one. I wouldn't mind one if it combined the quality and features as well as ease of use I'd want.

2) Audio quality (ripped track format, etc), wireless ethernet, ease of content access/management.

3) No wifi support would be a pretty big dealbreaker, so if I was shopping it would rule this product out if it only has wired ethernet.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Contest Questions:
Answer. Yes I have been looking and really standing on the outside looking in as this is very much new territory for me.

Answer. Not using one.
b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.
Answer. I would like one simply for the introduction into this type of server, it seems like a more simple approach to creating a library of artists right at your fingertips , I am ready to add it to the HT.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why?
Answer. I would go for the accurate sound quality this would produce, ease of use and operation as in user friendly, storage capabilities as in if I were to introduce this to my set up I surely want to get the most out of it as possible, I think looks are just as important as well.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)?
Answer 1st part, I am not too familiar so i cant answer honestly. What are they?
Answer. I would hope that the music loads from start to finish in like a warp speed fashion and be fairly easy to use.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
B. I wouldn't mind one - I could take all the music off of my slow nas and put it on the media server instead.

flac support, expandability (as in hard drives), and the ability to stream to multiple sources.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they?
Not quite sure how to answer this one either - nobody is forcing you to use a specific feature on a device. If one of the devices features was being a "slim, all-in-one unit" for aesthetic purposes but lacking any user upgradability, I wouldn't have any desire to purchase it at all. For example, 500GB in this unit is far too small - as long as I can upgrade it, that's a nonissue.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General

1.) I am always on the hunt for new gear. I think the Olive's are sleek, sharp machines. I would love to own one.
a.)I own an Escient Fireball SE 80, that is probably 5 years old. At the time I purchased it new, I had hoped to own an Olive or an Audio Refinement but they were out of my price range at the time and the Escient was all that I could afford. It has served me well but is now long in the tooth, loading slower and slower as it fills up, and has a couple of hiccups in the software.
b.) I would love to replace the Escient. It only does 320 Kbps.

Storage capacity and bit rates, cost, aesthetics, ease of use, firmware updates, customer support.
I know, more than three, but I have thought about servers for awhile and love mine to death. I would never go back to cds. Never. Search my posts and find that I am always jumping in the music server threads and telling the computer geeks that not everyone wants to build a server, and that the store bought ones are worth it to joe six packs like myself. My Fireball only does MP3s at 320. I would love to have my cd collection at full strength. Escient has been a little lame in support of the few small hiccups I have had. I have drooled over the Olive's for some time but they were out of my price range for the bigger ones. This one looks to be perfect. Having the screen on the unit is so nice as now I have turn on my flat screen to use my server. I have also heard good things about Olive's cs.

I would not buy a server without a built in display. I would not buy a server that was MP3 only. This unit is perfect at it's price point. Good job Olive! David

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am not using a music server, but I plan on purchasing a Dune media player which I might use as a music server.

What files it can play, ease of use, how it can output

Nothing besides cost. If the price is unreasonable for the what you buy, it'll be a no-go. The hard drive should also be user replaceable or expandable via USB port.

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
Yes.
Squeezebox-3, Best price wise for streaming at the time.
1) Expandable internal capacity (for growing collection).
2) Native flac support (lossless format I use)
3) Quality DACS. My AVR does too much processing even in pure direct. I connect to EXT-IN ports.

Yes...MUST NOT require an external PC based server, like the squeezebox.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Contest Questions:
Yes I am
I want one for ease of music playing
Price , DAC, quality of audio
Not really I am still learning

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Contest Questions:

1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? Yes
To pump my tunes through the HT better with a good GUI

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? SQ for obvious reasons, storage capacity because I have and like A LOT of music, and GUI quality for WAF :)

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? I will not live without a wired network connection or the ability to use a keyboard if desired. Also the GUI must support bookmarking or some kind of indexing for faster searching.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Contest Questions:
Not currenlty looking, but if something came up that would work well, I would consider.

b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not.I would like one, if it would play nice and I would be able to send the music to my AVR and hear it over the whole house audio and be able to control it remotely.

abilty to control remotely.
ability to link to my AVR.

None that I know of.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? - No not really. We don't listen to a lot of music in the house, but that could change with a music server!

b) if you are not, would you like one, why or why not. - it would certainly make things easier. With a toddler and 2 more on the way, getting up to change the CD just is not convienent. Granted I could buy a CD changer, but then you could mix, match, playlist, etc. The closest we get now is hooking up the iPod to the system and listening through that.

2) When purchasing a music server, which are the three most important considerations to you and why? - software to tailor listening experience (think iPod playlists), capacity, and "upgradability" - i.e. can I drop in a larget HD, update firmware, etc.

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? What are they? - overly complex to use. Needs to have a range from simple push play to full customization. The GUI would be improtant.

B

Bull58

Audiophyte
Olive Contest

I am currently looking at different options.

1. Ease of use
2. Wi-Fi capable
3. Price

None that I know of...

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? NO

Not yet, but thinking about it, maybe for 2011.

1. wireless across all home
2. can use my existing music library
3. fast and easy setup and ripping

If I need to rip my whole collection again, deal breaker

L

lonny24

Audiophyte
Win: Olive media 03hd sever

A) YES, I'M USING A 2 GIG BUFFALO TERA STATION

1) SOUND QUALITY.

2) USER FRENDLY. EASY TO USE, AS WITH A TERA STATION ITS NOT ALL IN ONE.

3) DEPENDABILITY, SO I DONT LOOSE MY COLLECTION. I LIKE MY HARDDRIVE TO BE MIRRORED TO MORE THAN ONE DRIVE!

YES, IF IT DOES NOT BACKUP MY COLLECTION

N

Nugu

Audioholic
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? No

It isn't a dedicated music server but I listen using my HTPC (home built)
I'd love one for silent operation, my HTPC has some noisy fans.

Silent so it isn't a distraction, Streaming capabilities to access my networked files, By folder (and sub folder) playback to easily incorporate my folder layouts.

The lack of features would be a problem, but even a feature I don't use is nice to have.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
1) Are you currently looking for or using a music server? Yes

a) if you are currently using, which do you use and why n/a

Absolutely, in order to seamlessly browse, select artists, album, and songs from music collection (MC), as well as the ability to eventually access MC from multiple rooms.

- Excellent Sound Quality (including the ability to select my desired file format and bit rate; WAV, FLAC, MP3, etc.)
- Easy User Interface (an intuitive, logical GUI as a minimum)
- Adequate initial storage with expansion options (1TB internal with the ability to increase internally or externally as a minimum)
- All the above must be at a reasonable cost or it is just a wish list

3) Are their any deal breaker features in music servers (meaning you wouldn't buy one with that feature)? Yes, several
What are they?
- Mandatory file format/bit rate (i.e. the inability to select the file format and bit rate whichy most suits my needs)
- Loud operation (i.e. like a typical HTPC)
- Inability to display on an external screen (i.e. HDTV, since the goal is to control and enjoy the music from the primary listening position)

Thanks for the opportunity to comment and have a chance,
XEagleDriver

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Contest Questions:

No. I would love a music server. Packing away hundreds of CD's would be nice.

Audio quality, GUI & Price. Reasons for AQ & price are obvious. An easy to use GUI just makes the experience that much more enjoyable. (less frustrating)

I don't know, yet...I'm a newb when it comes to music servers.

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic

not in earnest since I havr one but always looking to upgrade

Squeezebox /Transporter - excellent sound quality , lots of internet stations to choose from

na

Ease of setup, ease of use, price - pretty obviuos why...

hmmmm, can't thinkk of any...

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I've considered it. It's about time I realize that physical media may not be long for this world. although some one will have to pry them out of my cold dead hands.
Too expensive, the convience isn't worth the cost.

Sound quality, Ease of use, storage capabilty.

Provided the unit has networking capability, whether internal or external, I can't think of any.

P

puckhead

Audioholic Intern
Yes, currently looking for one.

N/A
Yes I would like one. It would make life easier when not doing critical listening. It would be very useful when entertaining or working/piddling around the house, to be able to stream large playlists instead of having to change CDs or vinyl all the time.

Flawless playback (no stuttering, locking-up, etc.), ability to handle high res tracks, and flexible connection options.

If it doesn't provide the 3 features mentioned above. And poor support/firmware updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis