Enter to Win: DVI + HDCP 1x2 Splitter and T-Shirts from DVIGear

What features do you think are most important for a compact DVI or HDMI splitter?

• Suggested List Price

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • Physical Size and Appearance

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Type of Audio connectivity

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Multiple inputs that can handle all current and future resolutions on the connections used on the switch. Preferably DVI and HDMI on the same switch with outputs to one or the other specified by user so you can connect all your digital equipment through the same box. You need to have a way to remotely change inputs so the box can be mounted in a rack or some other out of the way place.

Steve

sks939

sks939

Enthusiast
1080p and number/type of outputs is key

1080p and number/type of outputs is key

M

MrPorterhouse

Audioholic Intern
In choosing a video switcher, I would factor in the number of inputs and the cost. All the competitive products are going to have similar functions, so it really boils down to how many inputs and what the cost is to handle those inputs.

V

varkeast

Junior Audioholic
definately price and number of input/output. If it costs too much, will make it easier to think about buying new receiver instead that has same function.

S

sheerluck

Audiophyte
Switcher/Splitter thoughts

Owning a Samsung DLP set with only 1 DVI input and a hi-def pvr with HDMI out, I've already had to buy a conversion cable.
Now I'm looking for a home theatre solution...you know the one...one box, one remote...video switches with audio...remember the mantra :HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!
So...what would I like to see?
A switching component with audio/video inputs and outputs that would allow one press of a remote's button to bring on Video2 (aka Xbox hi-def input) and the coordinating audio.
Too much to ask? Let's hope not...
Even Samsung's latest HTIB with dvd upconversion to hi-def output won't allow hdmi input...so i'd still be stuck
Please...someone...invent this stuff would ya?!?!

PS---anyone with any thoughts out there on existing products that might meet my home theatre solution with a reasonable price point, please email me (sheerluck.holmes@gmail.com)

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I must have RC on any switcher. I can always assign the functions to my programmable RC.

S

saxel

Audiophyte
If I could design a compact DVI or HDMI splitter

If I could design a compact DVI or HDMI splitter product, these features would be most important.

1.Suggested List Price
2.Physical Size and Appearance
6.Number of Inputs / Outputs
7.Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs
5.Type of Audio connectivity
3.Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals
4.Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

D

dustytymes

Audiophyte
Suggested List Price (Doesn't matter, it will change anyways)
Physical Size and Appearance (Not as Important)
Number of Inputs / Outputs (Important)
Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs (Important)
Type of Audio connectivity (Important)
Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals (Important)
Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV (Hmmm...Hard one. In Flux Market)
Other (please specify) (QUALITY OF PRODUCT and OUTPUT)

Last edited by a moderator:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would have to agree with many others who say that price is critical. Obviously, that is partnered with the quality and number of inputs/outputs. A splitter typically only has one input and multiple outputs, so I would think that keeping a fair price as the number of outputs increases makes sense.

Most people though, won't need more than 2 outputs.

What would I love to see? I think it would be great if the splitter would act as a D/A and actually allow for a full 50 foot HDMI run after the connection. So, if a HDMI signal is sent along 30 feet to the splitter, it could then be sent another 50 feet beyond that point. So, signal amplification seems like a golden addition to this type of product.

Size? Meh, small works in the back of my rack, rull 19" with rack ears in the box works at the front. I don't care which. But, I would hope that it would comform to rack spacing size standards and be available with some sort of rack mount option.

Also - my opinion - HDMI! DVI is great for the PC crowd, but give me HDMI for my video. I want the built in audio and higher quality potential thanks.

M

myzzy

Audiophyte
What features do you think are most important for a compact DVI or HDMI splitter?

Price is a huge factor, without a good deal cant afford to have these nicer things

P

Packk01

Audioholic Intern
The types of inputs are the most important

It is very difficult to find DVI/HDMI switchers that are not part of AV receivers.

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern
The ability to handle 1080p is most important. I don't buy anything that will be obsolete in the forseeable future. However, don't forget quality.

C

carolo

Audiophyte
#1 is Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV. Size/Appearance is also important to me.

But really, it's a combination of those listed and more that will influence my buying decision.

D

davelee98

Audioholic Intern
Obviously, signal quality is important

The point of the splitter is to split/switch the signal so you can actually connect everything up. To that end, it should have a decent number of DVI/HDMI in / out on both ends. Secondly, you might as well add in a "repeater" functionality that re-syncs and regenerates the digital signals to allow longer distances between the source and the display.

Scaling is entirely useless because I expect the TV to do that part.

Also, it should handle reasonably high bandwidth i.e. 1920x1080x60-85 hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis