Enter to Win: DVI + HDCP 1x2 Splitter and T-Shirts from DVIGear

What features do you think are most important for a compact DVI or HDMI splitter?

• Suggested List Price

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • Physical Size and Appearance

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Type of Audio connectivity

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Type of splitter. Connectability is a fast changing world in a/v right now.

W

wrunow

Enthusiast
For me, price and connectivity would be the most important issues here. Most of the DVI splitters now are cost prohibitive which makes it difficult if you use multiple displays or sources on a regular basis such as a crt television and a home theater projector in the same room

A

agabriel

Junior Audioholic
I'd be looking for a combination of everything. Oh, well I always want everything...

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
1080p handling seems like a pretty important feature for future-proofing reasons. Hopefully 1080p will make its way into our living rooms sooner than later, so having a splitter that'll handle that resolution seems like a no-brainer.

Jason

jthomp27

jthomp27

Audioholic Intern
(1) Price - ideally would be around $200
(2) Number is inputs - should be at least 3, not concerned about the number of outputs
(3) Ability to pass 1080p signal. All of our sets/projectors will be 1080p in few years

R

randymoe

Enthusiast
Enter to Win: DVI + HDCP 1x2 Splitter and T-Shirts from DVIGear

Number and type of inputs/outputs.

Oh by the way, I wear a large!!! Har

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI or DVI switchers

My critera would include the following:
Price,
Number of inputs/outputs
Upgradability including 1080P and future versions of HDMI.

I would be curious to know if current switcher products will be compatable or upgradable to work with future version of HDMI (ie. 1.2, 1.3, etc.)
I don't know if it is a simple hardware bandwith requirment to support these new versions or if different firmware would be required.

B

bpape

Audioholic Chief
Panny beat me to it.

In addition to the # and type of connections, and 1080p - the most important thing to me would be the ability to upgrade firmware to address the ever changing HDMI standard.

Oh, and also the ability to address the switcher via remote, RS232, etc.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
physical size

I think that an often overlooked item is the physical size and design of the product. I am a big fan on unobtrusive equipment that doens't light up like a Christmas tree (my equipment is in the front of my room).

Chris

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Like many here...
Types and number of inputs/outputs. RS232 would be nice. Since I'm planning on going to Crestron/AMX soon.

Maybe...ability to support future formats via firmware updates. So I wouldn't have to worry about the product going out of date so quickly.

Reorx

bwolf

bwolf

Enthusiast
Price is always important in an item like this, but also the number of inputs and outputs are high on the list.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
I would like it to handle 1080 and have two outputs on it. One for regular viewing tv (42" or so) and one for a projector. But as always price and performance are top of the list for reasons to purchase

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I voted for number of inputs, but price is important & auto switching would be nice if possible.

N

neilometer

Audiophyte
Certainly 1080p is important, but also the type of inputs, such as DVI, so that all those early adopters don't get burned :)

It would be nice to have at least 4 or more inputs.

I am also very appearance oriented, so it would be nice if the unit could blend in with my other high end equipment. Nothing like a cheap looking component mucking up the works :rolleyes:

kia303

kia303

Junior Audioholic
Number of inputs/outputs is pretty important for my devices. Have a PJ that is HDMI, cable box that is DVI, DVD that is HDMI.

M

mike_orst

Audiophyte
For me, price is huge followed by the number of Inputs and outputs.

The ability to scale resolution of the output signal is also really great, however this really depends on the quality of the scaler. Will I get better scalling by changing the output of the origional source?

I'm not as concerned about audio connectivity as I would really want to drive my projector with the HDMI single (only Video). However, as there are limited recievers that support HDMI switching internally, having audio connectivity and putting this switch between the sources (DVD, STB, etc...) and a HDMI capable reciever so you can then select between multiple HDMI inputs (while only using a single input in your reciever) would be very nice as well.

Mike

S

soundsfine

Audioholic
The number of inputs is important -- that is why you are buying one!
The type is important -- it is nice if you do not need adapters
The price needs to be within reason.
Size doesn't matter. Really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis