Enter to Win: DVI + HDCP 1x2 Splitter and T-Shirts from DVIGear

What features do you think are most important for a compact DVI or HDMI splitter?

• Suggested List Price

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • Physical Size and Appearance

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Type of Audio connectivity

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
DVIGear wants your opinion about DVI and HDMI signal distribution
…and we’re willing to give you the shirt off our backs for it !

We’re giving away a DVI + HDCP 1x2 Splitter to two (2) randomly selected winners ($299 MSRP) that respond to the question below. In addition, ten (10) randomly selected winners will receive an attractive DVIGear T-Shirt in the size of their choice. Each splitter and T-Shirt will be delivered to the respective winners at absolutely no charge. All winners will be invited to participate in further DVIGear product design discussions.

To enter, take the poll above and then post your more specific response to the question below:

If you could design a compact DVI or HDMI splitter product, what features would be most important?
Please take into account all factors that you feel are important such as:

• Suggested List Price
  • Physical Size and Appearance
  • Number of Inputs / Outputs
  • Type (DVI, HDMI, Audio, etc) of Inputs / Outputs
  • Type of Audio connectivity
  • Ability to Scale resolution of Output signals
  • Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV
  • Other (please specify)

Extra BONUS for Audioholics Readers!!!
Don't want to wait for the contest? As they say, “seeing is believing”. Order any of DVIGear's switchers or splitters now through October 31, 2005 and you’ll get a special 5% Audioholics Discount off your normal cost for your ENTIRE order for ALL of our products. Please use order code AH-1005 when you enter your order to ensure your 5% discount is correctly applied.

READ MORE about the new DVIGear Switchers and Splitters

Last edited by a moderator:
Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Options 3,4,6,8

You can't forget that's important that the splitter dosen't induce any noise.

Daz3d&Confus3d

Daz3d&Confus3d

Full Audioholic
Guaranteed to handle 1080p HDTV! Down the road everyone will want that!

B

BobBart

Audioholic
Price is always most important to me. Size and looks is not important I would have it tucked away. Several outputs is very important. Definitely dvi and hdmi.
I like to see both coaxial and optic audio.

N

nowonder

Audioholic Intern
The 1080p will be important for future-proofing... But right now my biggest concern is the maximum length of the output... Gotta make sure it can reach my projector.

While I didn't select form factor, having something component sized so it blends in with my other equipment would be a plus.

--nw

majorloser

majorloser

Since I have an older processor that does not switch either HDMI or DVI, I need as many in's and out's as I can get. Don't need audio controls. Handling 1080P for my next projector would be a major plus.

Last but not least........PRICE!!!!!!

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
i didn't think about it when i voted, but price will be a bigger issue then i thought because, if you are looking to buy one you are going to ask your self if its worth it or is it time to buy a new pre/pro or recvr

F

fteixeira

Enthusiast
I voted for: Price, # of I/O, type of I/O

But, 1080p compatibility is a must. It's here now, and will be thee standard for displays.

M

MDC

Enthusiast
Price. This is an item I would only rarely use (parties mostly).

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
My priorities would be price per input (I'm assuming only a single output) coupled with the audio; I don't want to have to switch both the video box and a receiver or some audio box. And guaranteed 1080p.

G

gck

Audiophyte
Type of i/o and 1080i

Also, can't forget noise in the line.

W

Wabbit_Swayer

Junior Audioholic
1080P is definately a priority, as well as signal gain. If I can't reach my destination without additional gain, the splitter wouldn't do me much good. Price is always a consideration, but it isn't my highest concern if it can deliver.

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern
In order of importance.....

Number and type of inputs / outputs
Ability to handle 1080p
Price

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
Someone once said, "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it".

Well, I suspect I'll always need to ask the price, no matter how perfect a product is in every other way.

Price gets my vote for "most important". Appearance (size & shape) is least important to me.

W

willdao

Audiophyte
I selected numbers 3 (# I/O),4 (Type I/O),7 (Handle 1080p) and 8 (Other)...but, now that I think about it, let me add number 5 (Audio Connectivity), even though it really falls properly within number 4 (TypeI/O).

The number of inputs and outputs is extremely important--I'd prefer, ideally, to have the flexibility of BOTH a splitter and a switcher in one box, for example. Two inputs and two outputs at a minimum; perferably four inputs/two outputs (all video-switchable, as ETHER DVI OR HDMI, would be fine).

Type of I/O is important: HDMI may be the current "new thang," but probably will be supplanted in the not too distant future, due to physical connection problems and bandwidth concerns. So: keep up with the new and novel! Also, however, DVI-I is needed, too, for backwards compatibility,as DVI-I has just recently become more commonplace in the PC universe [although, for example, switching, say, input #1 BETWEEN DVI and HDMI (in an either/or situation) would work fine for most people]; the ability to carry a PC signal is critical, of course. HDCP compliance/tranparency also is CRITICAL! (Of course!) But, also, I want component out, too...if the SO chips are in there already, lemme output in full-res analog, also--without constriction by any ICT/broadcast flags...please?! (It's all about Choice, as a top-level paradigm!)

In terms of audio, if it were just a DVI world, then audio would be much less of an issue. With HDMI,however, it's critical for "one cable" per monitor/projector output. Coax and Toslink BOTH would be nice! IEEE1394 also, please...

1080p (or higher, would be nice!) is critical, of course...("Ruby, Ruby, she's my baby!...especially if she will pass 1080p unmolested")

Other(s): Lack of noise, high continuous headroom/bandwidth...i.e. no truncation of any signals/utter tranparency. Perhaps, to facilitate long runs, a signal amp.

With this kind of wish list, I wouldn't even dream of quantifying price! Quality and flexibility, all the way, guys!

Thanks for the opportunity to respond, hope you read my "wish list!" :)

willdao

P.S. Wait! Hold the presses! Lemme add #6--ability to scale outputs! As long as we're talking about building a bigger box, and one that ALREADY IS, internally, HDCP-compliant, then we need the ability to scale downstream (outputs), too! (Might as well pile on the wish-list...maybe you could have one box with everything BUT scaling, and one including scaling...now, what price points am I shooting for? That's where the experts--you guys--come in! I'm just the dreamer!

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Buying something at a good price that isn't going to be outdated to quickly = good value.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Quality is most important, of course. Why would one use a high quality connection and not insist on signal integrity? Possibly a more consumer oriented version of the product line would be deemed in the future given the likelyhood of the layman's need. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis