Enter to Win: 3-Play system from Impact Acoustics

mytzen

mytzen

Audioholic
What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
Cost in the highest priority, I dont want to pay $100 for a cable when I can get one with the same quality at $50. Next would be quality and reputation of the company.

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?
Manufacturers that produced high-priced and supposefly superior cables should show scientific data and real-life situations that prove that their cables are superior. By real-life situations they should conduct blind tests with comsumers to see if they can notice a difference between the normal cable and the high priced cable.

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
1. What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?

Cost first. Then, how well the company stands behind their product and their reputation in the Audio/Video community

2. What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Distance vs signal degradation.

W

waystevens

Audiophyte
1) Cost is the most important.
2) Concrete information that tells what makes the cable cost what it does.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Cable survey

Response: Cost/value, material used (e.g., copper vs. silver), construction quality (e.g., conductor purity with proper shielding and insulation), termination quality (e.g., gold- vs. brass- vs. Rhodium-plated), wire guage, and the manufacturer's reputation.

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you? I don't have any expectation that any profit-minded cable manufacturer might actually address my responses, but here they are nonethelss: Why do "reference" (i.e., high-end/"boutique") cables have to cost an arm and a leg? Put another way, can reference performance be "affordable" or does the cost mark-up of qualilty cables have to be so high? Also, why is "snake oil" salesmanship and over-blown advertised expectations too often introduced into cable marketing (read propaganda)? Likewise, why can't cable marketing place more emphasis on science-based education -- but put in lay terms -- to justify the all-too-prevalent outlandish costs of quality cables? Why can't more cable manufactureres take the time to describe in greater detail the quality, performance, or craftmanship of what they make? The common bare-bones cable descriptions would make most non-audiophiles question not only whether cables as a category ought to be treated as a fundamental system component but also their sanity to actually pay a king's ransom for the high-end offerings -- for which they often still can't see or hear any noticable differences without the benefit of having "golden" eyes or ears!

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions? Price mostly. However, if someone could demonstrate to me that a certain cable makes a significant difference in sound/video quality, then I would certainly consider it.

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you? Real, demonstrable differences, not something that may make a very subtle, almost non-noticeable difference.

majorloser

majorloser

1 What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?

Quality of construction, quality and type of connectors, type of shielding, size (gauge) of conductors, rigidity (ability to bend cables) and price.

2 What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Are there any limits or concerns with the cable, ie: minimum radius bends, minimum distances from AC power sources, equivalent gauge of conductors......

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Very little plays into my cable puchasing decisions - I make my own to save myself the headaches of 300 extra feet of cabling in my equipment rack.

I want to know the actual resolutions that the cables will be able to carry over what sort of distance without issue. Analog audio? Digital audio? Component HD? 1080p? I'm tired of cables that can do ten times what I need them to do and charge me accordingly. I want the cable that will do the job I am asking of it without the bells and whistles.

Perhaps the biggest deal is shielding and the ability for the cable to handle RF in tight electronic quarters without interference and some actual information on that ability.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
1-What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?

Build quality for the most part, looks a distant second (only if that particular cable will be seen in plain viewing sight)

2-What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?
Well, basically to keep snake-oil marketing out of the ad - would be fine for me.
Basic ratings-all that apply IMO (strands-4 flexibility, thickness -awg, in-wall rated, etc..). (speaking only on cables)

O

ODellAudio

Audiophyte
Contest Questions:

Quality and price and no BS (enter sientific superlitive here)

Just basic awnsers about their products. (shielding, material and quality of each) Also sans all the super hyped claims that will not matter to your average user who owns low to mid priced components.

jay

A

Ak2002

Audiophyte

Two intersecting factors - Price and Performance. The key is to pick the best performance for the price I can afford.

For performance I look at how well shielded the cables are, the type of connectors, the gauge, and whether they are tough to oxidize

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Optimal cable length is never mentioned - why are manufacturers scared to talk about length after which performance begins to degrade

N

naisphoo

Banned
I think cost and performances are the deciding factors when buying cables.
Manufarturers' claims should be supported by scientific data.

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
I look for value cost vs. performance. The manufacturers need to supply scientific test data to support their claims.

N

Nate552

Enthusiast

1. Cost, Quality, brand.
2. Hard numbers on picture and sound improvement.

L

Lambinator

Audiophyte
1. cost and quality are always a factor in any purchase, but as a newbie "keep it simple, stupid" is always a good policy - lots of information overload out there (i.e. B.S.)

2. I want to know what is really important when selecting wires. I spent weeks deciding between a $250 HDMI cable and a $70 HDMI cable. Everyone had a different opinion on which was better. I got the $70 cable and I STILL don't know if I made the right decision!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
My primary consideration is cost. After that quality and cosmetics.

I'd also like to see some tangible comparisons between their cables and the other guys. Also the amount of signal degradation, if any, over longer lengths would be helpful.

loserwife

loserwife

Audioholic
I give this a try too.....

1 What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions? The quality and price. Also, what others have experienced.

2 What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you? How much those cables actually cost them to make:)

ace2352

ace2352

Audiophyte
Cables

The first factor is cost, definitely not cables that cost as much as my house. Next is the quality of the cable that I am considering to purchase.

As everyone seems to want, the distance vs. real-world signal degregation; got to know what I can realisticall expect the cable to perform from output to input source.

J

JOYVEN

Audiophyte
Cost is the major factor. I can't think of anything that they have not told us

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
1. Cost
2. Distance vs. real-world signal degregation; what I can realistically expect the cable to perform from output to input source?

mlbillow

mlbillow

Audioholic Intern

Cost and Quality. It is a balancing game. Some cables are way over pirced, while some aren't worth the packaging they were sold in.

The quantifiable impact the cable has on video and / or audio quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis