Audioholic Intern
1. Function, Value (Performance divided by cost), Quality
2. What's it shielded from...

H

HTHOLIC

Audioholic
Don't know where to begin

Tom Andry said:
The Impact Acoustics team wants you to win. To that end, two (2) random winners will be selected from folks discussing the topic described below to receive a complete 3-Play system including one 3-Play High Performance Component Video/Digital Audio Selector, four 6ft Velocity Component Video Cables and four 2m Velocity Toslink Optical Digital Cables (valued at over $280)! Click here for more information on the 3-play system.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread.

Contest Questions:
  1. What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
  2. What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?
Note this contest ends on March 31st, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
Well for the first question, I want to know if the cable is "really worth the money", is it overkill, or is it just junk. Sorry for my lack of professional terms in the first sentence(maybe I won't win the contest but its worth a shot).

nyways, I liked the audioholics explanation of how Monster Cable wrapped 100 ft or was it more of there 12 guage cable compared with a 20 guage, and showed how Monster cable was better, truth is they should've used a 12 guage to 12 guage, if you aren't running long cables then it shouldn't matter if you use 12 guage.\

Gettung back to the first questions what factors I used in purchasing decisions are mainly reviews of products and I try to watch out for marketing tactics, ie use of generic terms such as high quality, hi fi, robust without explanation for the reason it is marketed that way. Ie id rather see the term emi shielded and 75ohm rather than just gold plated high quality.

Price plays a factor, but good reviews are what discerning consumers such as me look for. An average joe doesn't have time to conduct his or her tests so dependency on sites such as cnet.com and audioholics.com as well as secrets of home theater are often read. As for cables as long as they are shieleded and deliver the proper signal its fine. Now technologies and manufactyrung can go a long way to that but its hard to know how much of it is just plain marketing.

2. Question 2, How much did it cost you to make the cables, and your marketing strategies. I have to admit that many people such as customer representatives and so forth still recommend Monster Cables and give links to purchase them. While Monster Cable may make quality cables they are rippping off customers. Of course nobody wants a low-quality run of the mill cablem and sunce nobody wants run, people look to "Monster cable" with all the high quality talk, and then it becomes a trend until a conpany delivers high quality parts with evidence to back it up at a reasonable price.

What is really helpful is, do you need that $50 cable for that device or would a basic device do fine and such. Apparently even speaker maker aperion audio which makes high rated speakers has links on their site to purchase monster cables and customer reps say get this monster cable, and audio retail stores do the same thing.
Their are other cable companies that may come to mind, but marketing is often effective not just with their convincing tactics but how the play on consumer's fears that they don't want to get a low-quality cable. Believe me though even low quality speakers, aka cubed speakers, and cheap headphones have people swayed, as well as these boom boxes that have overrated power ratings.

I also like where a customer rep would tell a person that they don't really need this expensive cable for a piece of equipemnt, now all companies will say something is overkill, but certain companies Impact may come to mindm would even say a competior's cable is of the same quality as this cable, but certain cables are designed for certain applications.

Ok 2 questions answered, my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
Cost....!
Is there really any audible difference between the $50 and the $5 cable?

B

brucewoodington

Audioholic Intern
1. Value. Don't mind paying for quality, but don't want to invest more money for the cables than for equipment it connects.

2. Proof that it does what's claimed, not smoke and mirrors.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
[*]What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
[*]What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

1. Wire gauge is the most important factor and second is the price. I also like cables to be visibly attractive.
2. Length of the cable vs a/v quality also temperature tolerance.

A

AlienZen

Audiophyte
1. What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
Price and company reputation, closely followed by cable performance.

2. What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Can one really tell the difference in my living room between a 30.00 cable and a 100.00 cable?

B

btravis311

Audiophyte
Factors are: Cost, quality, manufacturer's reputation, and consumer referrals, in that order.

What I'd like to know:

Well, to be honest, I've not auditioned too many audio cables. So, when shopping for interconnects, I'd like to be able to get past the marketing hype and find out whether or not my money is being well spent on higher priced cables.

I

IndoSlim

Audioholic Intern
1.) Cost

2.) Do I really need the most expensive cables on the market, or would the fair priced ones be just as effective?

E

eschilke

Audiophyte
answers

1.What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
Cost and quality. I want to make sure I get the best for what I can afford and not paying for a name on the cable.

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?
The expected signal degredation over the distance. The Reason this is better then another cable in English.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
question 1: cost and user/editorial reviews
question 2: where the materials come from. i have always been curious to see what companies share similar components with their competitors.

S

star2sound

Enthusiast
1) cost, performance compared with my old cables, professional reviews

2) some measureable difference between differernt grades of cables from a manufacturer

J

jjgettis

Audiophyte
Cost then quality if I cannot afford it then quality has no meaning.
Hate to sound like a broken record but how length of cable has real observable impact on quality

B

bearearz

Junior Audioholic
Win: 3-Play system from Impact Acoustics

What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?
What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you? First, Cost effectiveness.Fuction over form!As I see it we,consumers,ultimately must weed-out the "tangable/realivent"-what constitutes real-world/issues?!What does a cable's cost,value &(realisticly)what makes true value vs. what is the "primary funcitional" diferences? In terms of what we are not being told,again we must read between the preverbial lines.Beyound that the most usefull information would be a honest compairson,unbiased,e·val·u·at·ing,the the real-world-realistic differences,truly-audible!

B

baring5

Audiophyte
(1) What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?

Quality and price.

(2) What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Why is their brand better especially the more expensive ones?

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
What factors and information play a part in your cable purchasing decisions?

Cost in the sense of value. Usually this boils down to lowest cost due the the ability of almost any cable to do its job correctly (i.e. little quantifiable difference)

What do you want to know that the manufacturers aren't telling you?

Having just run all my cable is in the wall the bend amoutn seems like a good quality to know.

T

tleonard

Audiophyte
Cables, cables, cables

Cost vs. Quality - always looking for sweet spot, as I'm not a "high end" guy.

MBR - minimum bending radius - published for about every kind of cabling imaginable, but seemingly never for audio/video cable.

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
1. Price of the product vs comparable quality of the product - where does it fit in within the available products in the marketplace.

2. What sets their product apart from all the rest and makes it better - what is the signal degradation over distance, and how flexible is their product.

Pat

V

vaf3

Audioholic Intern
1. I look for quality, good construction of cable, durability, price, and appearance. Durability and construction going kind of hand in hand, I can't stand when things (cables) go wrong (break) in what I feel to be the most minor parts of my system. Although this has rarely happened I was *thrilled* when I unplugged the RCA video cable for my xbox from the back of the TV and the metal connecting part was still inserted into the tv yet the rest of the cable was in my hand, super.

2. One thing I wish i knew was how much the cables actually cost to manufacture before markup. I currently work in a manufacturing facility so I understand how something like these cables can run up quite a bill pretty quick, but some of the prices are just outrageous and I have absolutely no idea how a cable can cost that much. Another thing would be a sort of compare and contrast chart of ACTUAL measurments done on these cables in a less than optimal, average home theater room that you'd find in your average house. Test results can be skewed to say pretty much whatever you want them to. I want to know the actual results.

expose11

expose11

Enthusiast
The two main things I look for in cables are the price and the quality of the shielding. It would be nice for manufacturers to tell us things like how their cables hold up on bends or loops and even pinches. Kind of like a durability test.
The area behind our receivers gets pretty tight and when you have to shove all those cables through a 3in hole in the back of a rack, they can get pinched and bend in all kind of directions. Even though I try to not let this happen, sometimes it does. My sub cable is taking a 90 degree turn up to get to the hole in the rack. No way around this unless I want my receiver sticking out of the front of the rack an inch or so more.
Expose11

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis